View Poll Results: Would a meteor with the size of Texas wipe out earth?

Voters
336. This poll is closed
  • Yes

273 81.25%
  • No

63 18.75%
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ...
    Topper, I don't think you're entering that information correctly at all. You're entering the weight of the object in the mass. Your test objects have the density of some of the most dense objects in the universe.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    Topper, I don't think you're entering that information correctly at all. You're entering the weight of the object in the mass. Your test objects have the density of some of the most dense objects in the universe.
    oh... sorry
    100 druid, 90+dk, 90 warrior, 90 monk, 90 warlock, 90 mage, 90 rouge, 90 paladin, 90 shaman, 90 prist, 90 hunter

10+ Year Old Account
    Depends on speed and impact location, but in most situations yes. We will have plenty of time to say our goodbyes and have mad sex parties though.

An impact from a meteor the size of Texas would evaporate every drop of water on earth, turn the atmosphere into an inferno as all the oxygen is comsumed and, more than likely, turn the entire crust of the planet into molten rock. The earth would be steralised down to the bedrock and would take millions of years to cool to anythin like the current temperature. The gasses of the atmosphere may well be blasted into space by the shockwave. As most of the gas / water is thought to have arrived on earth in the form of comets, the planet may never recover an atmosphere as cometery activity is much less than it was in the early days of the sola system.

So, no survivors, not even single cell organisims, viruses or bacteria.

As to how often this has happened in the history of the earth? Take a look at the moon, count the craters. There are A LOT. The moon is younger than the eath and has a weaker gravitational pull, therefore it is safe to assume that the earth has been hit more times than the moon, whivh means the earth has been hit by asteroids / comets A SHIT LOT.

Quote Originally Posted by Takanasi View Post
    Considering the fact that any reasonably well built bunker would shield you from pretty much any kind of impact unless it's a direct hit on the bunker and the fact that IF a meteor of that size was to hit earth, we would know years in advance. This means that a LOT of people would be sitting in comfortable little bunkers all over the earth, probably on the side of the earth the meteor is NOT going to hit.

People would survive, no question about it.
    No. No. False. Wrong. And No.

In fact, No.

And even then, No.

An asteroid the size of Texas, assuming its only a single KM thick, would have the same KE of 11,287,325,000,000 Hiroshima Bombs.

That's right, 11.2 Trillion.

For perspective, thats ~1600 for each person on the planet.

Now, granted, it would only hit one side of the planet. Lets think about that for a second.

It would be travelling at ~25 km per second. That means it would take ~ 4 seconds once it hits the atmosphere for it to hit the ground.

Now, it would likely land in the ocean, flash boiling at least 20% of the planet's water. That alone would cause a dramatic shift in Earth's environment, which would result in massive chaos.
    Fortunately for us, the Asteroids impact would cut through the Earth's crust like a fucking sword through milk. And by fortunate for us, I mean we would die instantly instead of slowly and painfully.

Of course, if we're on the other side of the planet, it's worse.
    See, the Asteroid will have destroyed the atmosphere, flash boiled a large portion of the Earth's breathable atmosphere and water, and flung enough ash and dirt into what's left of the atmosphere to block all sunlight for a million years.

Even if some people managed to survive the initial impact, the planet would become so cold we would freeze if we came close to the surface. Plants, Animals, Trees... everything we need to survive would die out. We would die slow, painful, torturous deaths.

TLDR: If it hit, we'd be fucked.

Hell, if one does come, I hope it lands right on top of me... it'll be the best way to die.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by saberon View Post
    Hell, if one does come, I hope it lands right on top of me... it'll be the best way to die.
    And just think of the view. Texas coming at you at 25km/s.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregwar View Post
    I'm sure humanity will wipe itself first
    I sware to god if I see people say this one more time i'm going to go Al Gore style and widely popularise this issue and inform people.

This just made me remember something my 6th grade science teacher said.

He said he hates all the movies where meteors crash into the earth and people watch their own death, because the meteor is traveling so fast you literally wouldn't be able to see it and the next second you would be dead.

Ohhh 6th grade

I would survive in my anti-Meteorite bunker for decades.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xerix View Post
    I would survive in my anti-Meteorite bunker for decades.
    What a wonderful existence. Better to die outright.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzzie View Post
    What a wonderful existence. Better to die outright.
    i personally would hide under a bed in the Legion of Doom Headquarters.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slliks View Post
    Microorganisms actually have a bigger change to survive than dinosaurs.
    And unless someone is qouting some scientific source i wouldnt believe too much of what people say on a forum.
    What does that have to do with the population being wiped out? Microorganisms survive absolute zero too.

---------- Post added 2011-02-03 at 12:11 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Shamslam View Post
    Texas is a little bigger than 72 miles...

A Texas sized meteor would wipe out all but maybe the single celled organisms. In the 00.01% chance anything did survive the initial impact, the earthquake, airblast, potential axis shift (change in pretty much everything) would take care of it. It wouldn't destroy (explode?) the planet, the planets are pretty tough. It would be forever scarred with a massive crater, but it would remain intact.

In reality though, something that large would never get close enough. It'd get pulled towards Jupiter or Saturn most likely.
    I actually meant 120x, but whatever. The point is still the same, whether the meteor is a mile wide or 720 miles wide, all life (excluding microrganisms) is no more.

Quote Originally Posted by gherkin View Post
    Why do americans insist on using States as a unit of measurement? It's not like 80% have any grasp of the scope in the first place.
    Because the Europeans don't have countries large enough to measure it. :P But in Canadian, 1 Texas ~= 1 Alberta.

Quote Originally Posted by Folc View Post
    By wiping out earth I mean destroying every living organism on the planet.
    No probably not. There would still be microbial life deep in the ocean that rely soley on the nutients provided by volcanic vents in the ocaen floor. Other than that... yes

Dreadlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    we most likely have a base on the moon/mars or whatever when that happens, so just the ppl on earth are really screwed, but mankind would survive