Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    How are you going to hold somebody accountable for their actions? I am the maintank for a respectable guild on my realm. Do you think anybody will give two flying f*cks if I kick some random dps for not liking the way he does anything and he goes complaining in trade?

Not saying I would do such things, just saying it would be hard to hold people accountable even on the same realm.

10+ Year Old Account
    "My realm only" is a pretty good idea, but the duration of qs will rise pretty much
    I tried to sleep on my keyboard - Not a good idea, WASD on the cheek in the morning.

Deleted
    Good point imo and it's good to see some suggestions that might actually work. So much spamming in trade these days, makes sense to add the realm option. I would use it, if I had to pug.

I hate applying for guilds and I found before the LFD tool just doing dungeons with people from my realm was a good way to get noticed as a player and join their guilds.

I kinda miss that.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would love for that option, as a tank I'm sure it would still be near-instant.
    Lained - 60 Shaman | Lainedtv - 60 Druid | Lainedz - 60 Paladin

Deleted
    Your realm only seems a bit crap since you can just group with those people (who I assume you would have friended) you like prior to joining the random finder for any pick up you may need.

What I'd MUCH rather see is a way to invite people from other realms to my party so that we can group again with those people from other servers that we met and liked

I don't agree with this. The queue times for sitting in only your own realm would be very, very long, and there are chat channels available to form groups from your own realm, something I myself do pretty commonly because there are not always guildies interested in heroics.

I like the LFD tool so I can avoid the assholes on my server.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't understand why this thread has so much bickering and disagreement.

I can't imagine it would be too difficult for Blizzard to implement a "my realm only" option to the LFD tool. Yeah the queues in it would be longer than usual, but that's the trade-off for having the ability to make players accountable for their actions, making friends on your realm, and so forth.

I know I'd use it if it were an option.

To those saying "use trade chat" the OP clearly states why that isn't a good option. And if you like using it, then keep using it. It could also be used in conjunction with a realm only LFD option.

And for those saying how much longer the queues would be with it, then don't use the option. I can't imagine normal LFD queues would change all that much.

It's a great idea, not sure why people are bashing it...
    Last edited by Scheris; 2011-02-02 at 10:57 PM.

Sig By Mystyka

Deleted
    Not bad idea, might be implemented some day in future. But imagine QQ, because queues with only from YOUR realm would cause alot of qqing. Imagine queues 2-3 time longer. If now it takes 20-30 mins crossrealm queues, only from you server would be easily over 1h (talking about dps; tank would still be really fast ( I think it would increase to 2-3 mins) and healer's to 10-15 mins).
    And your realm group would always mean no douches - some of them still act immature, even with their own server (I sometimes see this in PuGs, especially old TBC raids or ICC/VoA in WotLK).
    Plus it still can take some time to clear it - not everyone on your server is epic-awesome geared.
    Another problem is low-pop servers. They would just have no use of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't agree with this. The queue times for sitting in only your own realm would be very, very long, and there are chat channels available to form groups from your own realm, something I myself do pretty commonly because there are not always guildies interested in heroics.
    He is talking about an option, not something mandatory.
    I dont see how you see negativity on something optional.
    People take stupidity to a whole new level when they sit in front of a computer.

www.poepra2.com.br Um blog para quem prefere jogos multiplayer.

I know what he means, I miss meeting people only from my battlegroup and end up with guys I've played with before! Added some to my realid and we still chat to this day. Besides investing in an option like this would reassure Blizz we stay hooked and subscribed to keep talking to our pals! :3

I definitely feel like a certain social aspect of the game is gone.

The only real way to socialize with people outside your guild/circle is to PuG raids or BGs at this point. With 10 man raids I think that will happen a lot less.

At the end of wrath we had an awesome ICC pug going that was mostly alts from the various raid guilds on the server plus some other people. It turned into a recurring thing and we ended up 11/12 HC ICC 25. I met some good people in that group that I wouldn't have normally.

So there are still ways to socialize, but it feels like part of that is missing. In Vanilla I joined my first real raiding guild by pugging a UBRS run. The main tank from the guild was in there for whatever reason and suggested I app to his guild. I'm not sure things like that will happen for newer players anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by foxHeart View Post
    You lost me at lasting friendships. Really? You think chatting with someone over the internet, behind the veil of* anonymity and at your complete convenience means you're their friend? No. And I know the Fight Club reference, too. And wow "friends" define it. They're not there with you day-to-day. You're not hanging out. Your relationships are as superficial as one can possibly be and though, yes, it can happen that people really do meet up and hang out, that's once in a blue moon. Well, more likely if you fall into a sordid online relationship with another wow player, which I won't even begin to discuss. I'm sure you can see why by my tone.

And by the way, nothing is stopping you from getting a group together yourself if you really feel so motivated. LFG is a godsend for people not wanting to waste time trying to find people to run with.
    The OP has a great point... theres no reason to start talking semantics in your smarmy little condescending tone. WoW friends are WoW friends. People you do WoW things with. I hardly think he meant it outside that context. A realm only LFD option would be great JUST for the fact that you don't have to spam trade and go through all the bullshit required to get a group together. And this is especially true on low pop servers such as the one I play on.
    Don't ERP me bro!

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    You lost me at lasting friendships. Really? You think chatting with someone over the internet, behind the veil of* anonymity and at your complete convenience means you're their friend? No. And I know the Fight Club reference, too. And wow "friends" define it. They're not there with you day-to-day. You're not hanging out. Your relationships are as superficial as one can possibly be and though, yes, it can happen that people really do meet up and hang out, that's once in a blue moon. Well, more likely if you fall into a sordid online relationship with another wow player, which I won't even begin to discuss. I'm sure you can see why by my tone.

And by the way, nothing is stopping you from getting a group together yourself if you really feel so motivated. LFG is a godsend for people not wanting to waste time trying to find people to run with.
    What is your problem?

I agree with the poster above me on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    I definitely feel like a certain social aspect of the game is gone.

The only real way to socialize with people outside your guild/circle is to PuG raids or BGs at this point. With 10 man raids I think that will happen a lot less.

At the end of wrath we had an awesome ICC pug going that was mostly alts from the various raid guilds on the server plus some other people. It turned into a recurring thing and we ended up 11/12 HC ICC 25. I met some good people in that group that I wouldn't have normally.

So there are still ways to socialize, but it feels like part of that is missing. In Vanilla I joined my first real raiding guild by pugging a UBRS run. The main tank from the guild was in there for whatever reason and suggested I app to his guild. I'm not sure things like that will happen for newer players anymore.
    Indeed. I used to be an officer/head recruiter of a guild in BC and recruiting has to be tougher without the "Hey this unguilded guy in our group is really good." occurrences, at least for smaller up-and-coming guilds. I know that's how we formed a decent chunk of our core back in the day.

Sig By Mystyka

^ What he said.

During my 6 years of traveling through Azeroth, I've met a lot of people. Some of which I still chat with and whisper if I need help with something.
    I do call them friends, even though they're not even close to that.
    I wouldn't hesitate to leave them forever, if I felt the need to change realm or faction.

---------- Post added 2011-02-03 at 12:28 AM ----------

A "my realm only" option would be a waste of the developers time.
    So would a "my language only" option be.
    You've got the trade chat. It's like both options in one! :O
    Enjoy it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    AHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA YOU'RE FUCKED. (Yes, it's my forums, I'm allowed to do that)

Quote Originally Posted by shadowkras View Post
    As a tank, i approve this. I wouldnt mind a little longer queue so i run with people from my realm.
    Speaking as a tank myself, a little longer queue time for us is A LOT longer queue time for them. It's bad enough as is.

I am so confused, why do you need LFG for your server? just do this "/2 tank and heals looking for 3 DPS for random heroic"

Quote Originally Posted by Scheris View Post
    What is your problem?

I agree with the poster above me on this.

Indeed. I used to be an officer/head recruiter of a guild in BC and recruiting has to be tougher without the "Hey this unguilded guy in our group is really good." occurrences, at least for smaller up-and-coming guilds. I know that's how we formed a decent chunk of our core back in the day.
    I was the guild master of a pretty successful raiding guild during WotLK. I know how we formed our core progression team.
    Go do the dungeon achievements with a group of people from your realm. That way you know you're getting skilled players, who is able to listen to advice and learn tactics.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    AHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA YOU'RE FUCKED. (Yes, it's my forums, I'm allowed to do that)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by smokii View Post
    whilst in general i approve of the looking for dungeon tool, i feel it is having a heavy impact on the community as a whole through the likelihood of never having to meet the players you are grouped with again.

this is a problem.

it's led to a lot of dissatifaction between users, players who will up and leave the group at the first sign of trouble, abusive players, ninja's and just a general poor attitude eminating from this source of "fun". as i understood it, the implementation of the cross realm dungeon group finder was to help enable people to find a group quickly and easily, without having to sit and spam trade for countless hours with "LF <insert class here> for <insert instance here>".

so the LFD tool comes along and allows you to carry on doing your daily routine whilst sitting in the queue and then jump straight into a dungeon without the hassle of spamming trade. which is a major convenience for many.

what the dungeon finder does not do, which is a MAJOR CRUX imo, is allow for lasting friendships to evolve.

i founded my guild (due to be 3 years old in april) with friends i made on my realm through sitting and spamming trade chat for hours, looking for a healer for TBC heroics. these days, those connections between players aren't being made, you either join the queue and go anonymously about your buisness hoping that the tank or healer doesn't quit or that the hunter doesn't ninja everything, or you sit in SW/org spamming trade for a bit, get bored, then give up and join LFG.

so, my solution, the LFG tool needs updating to allow for a "choose players from my realm" option.

whilst this doesn't mean instant queues, it does at least mean that whoever you end up with in your group can easily be held accountable for any misdemeanors as they play on the same server and cant easily dissapear into the ether after the end of the run. it also allows you to ACTUALLY MAKE FRIENDS!! making friends ingame through the dungeon finder just doesn't seem possible anymore - the best way to describe it, is with a quote from fight club, "single serving friends".

back in the days of tbc before the dungeon finder, you used to make a group from trade, go do a dungeon and if you liked the people in your group, or had a good run, you would add them to your friends list and make more groups with them - eventually resulting in a large enough group of friends to actually get a raid running.

whilst the dungeon finder tool serves it's purpose of making groups, it has done nothing for the community other than make more players suspiscious of every other player they meet through LFG. this needs to be rectified and i think the developers would be fools not to add in an option for "my server only". so you can join the LFG queue, go about your daily business and hopefully make some actual friends on your server leading to long fulfilling friendships, guilds and most importantly injecting some fun back into this fractured community.

TL: DR

the convenience of the LFG tool is awesome, the cross realm douchebags you can end up grouped with, not so awesome. we need a my realm only option
    You can always opt to go look for people in trade/the LFG channel.