Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Pissing off the Heals

I like to think I am a somewhat moderate tank. I've never really raided as one, being a pve/pvp healer my entire wow career, but I would offtank on a dk or whatever in alt runs and would do just fine. Ever since I started my new account, I have been leveling a Prot Pally. Its fun, easy (love soloing group quests better and faster than a dk in wrath), and all in all a good class to learn to tank with.

I am currently level 74 and was running DTK. All was going well when all of the sudden, out of nowhere, the healer rages in all caps "DUDE WTF STOP MAKING ME WAIST MY MANA" (word for word, spelling and everything). Being a healer, I have grid set up just the way I like it, so I see all incoming heals and for how much. So I will always WoG if I am below about ~50%, ~65% with no inc heals or a heal that wont bring me to full, and anything above I will just SotR. Apparently he didn't like that.

So my question is Does this happen often later on, or did I just get a pissy child that run? I know self healing is insanely high at lower levels and evens out later on, esp at 85, but still.

tl/dr: Self healing caused the healer to overheal, does this happen often later on?

10+ Year Old Account
    Most healers in Cata know that keeping everyone at 100% mana is a WAIST of mana, therefore most don't. His heals might be a little OP right now, because you have a smaller health pool so he will be WAISTING more mana on overheals, however come Cata heroics, tank self heals are pretty much mandatory.

Think nothing of it, ignore them.

I never really notice it too much. Sure every now and then I'll have a pally tank who heals himself, but when that happens I just cancel my heal. I've never had more problems with overhealing a pally than any other tank. The healer just needs to pay attention more I'd say. And, when I was undergeared I loved it, cause it saved me some mana lol. But, now that I'm geared it's just whatever, doesn't really bother me either way.

Don't worry, it gets better. Once you get to Cataclysm dungeons they need five big heals to heal you from 50% they will welcome the extra free healing.
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.

I played a Prot Paladin through most of Wrath and leveled it first when Cataclysm released, I recently switched to Resto Druid main, but I still run heroics on my Paladin from time to time. I tend to use WoG more often than SotR, and I've never once had a healer complain about it, most of the time they're thankful I'm taking some of the burden off of them, so they can conserve mana and/or heal the rest of the party. And now that I'm playing a healer as a main, I welcome the extra help.

It sounds like you just got a whiny healer who needed to find something to complain about.

You more or less got the pissy child, granted I would not appreciate the tank saying over and over WoG WoG WoG WoG as I'm sure you wouldn't. Pissy child because any healer knows WoG doesn't take mana >.>
    WoW only has 10 million subscribers it must be dying! WoW sucks!
    I'm sorry no, clearly you didn't see Chuck Norris allowed 10 million to survive his Purge.

10+ Year Old Account
    You're doing fine, that's the purpose of Holy Power for Prot paladins. He needs to adapt to how much healing you actually need. Or, perish the thought, actually talk to you and see where you're comfortable with your HP values.

Or he could throw some DPS in for yucks. If you don't need his heals as much, he could at least contribute to group progress.
    Host of Talking Skritt, a GW2 podcast!

10+ Year Old Account
    A good healer will notice that you are healing yourself and adjust. You just had scrub-crybaby as your healer.

It is a little frustrating at lower levels when you are the healer because some people may think it's because you don't trust them or that you think they cannot keep you up themselves. It's also frustrating when the tank is the only one taking damage and he is healing him or herself to full every time they can because you are just sitting there doing nothing as a healer.

On the other hand, if things aren't going too well in the run then using it can help save the group. Since you have grid showing and are used to watching it, pay attention to the whole party's health if you can. That way you don't make the healer mad and don't bore them to death either.

Deleted
    Well, that makes me feel better. I am definitely not a WoG spammer, I love seeing myself top dps (single target and aoe, /flex) as much as the next guy, and my health pool is on the high side for my lvl (21k with no heirlooms), So I know pretty well how much I can take, how much I can get away with, for instance If I SotR now for my proc thats about to wear out, would a 1 or 2 HP WoG keep me alive later. All in all, I love playing my prot. Also, on a side note, I have WoG on a mouseover macro, so I usually toss out party heals if I need to, seeing how aggro is rarely a problem, so missing a SotR isnt life or death. Being a former healer, I like to help out when I can.

Quote Originally Posted by Alice View Post
    It is a little frustrating at lower levels when you are the healer because some people may think it's because you don't trust them or that you think they cannot keep you up themselves. It's also frustrating when the tank is the only one taking damage and he is healing him or herself to full every time they can because you are just sitting there doing nothing as a healer.

On the other hand, if things aren't going too well in the run then using it can help save the group. Since you have grid showing and are used to watching it, pay attention to the whole party's health if you can. That way you don't make the healer mad and don't bore them to death either.
    I can see where you are coming from, but that's where tank and healer philosophy differ.
    Healer philosophy: I have to do anything within my power to keep myself, my tank and my dps'ers alive! (note: 'within my power' can't heal stupidity)
    Tank philosophy: I have to do everything within my power to stay alive, take all non-party wide damage and making it as easy for the healer while doing so.

A big part of tanking is not only keeping aggro but also surviving and in my opinion making it easy for the healer to heal me! So a (good) tank might pop a cooldown or two, when the party is low on hp, kite away from mobs to mitigate damage or heal himself up. This sounds like the tank is doing his job, while the healer can still do HIS/HER job aswell.

This type of situation is something both a good healer or tank will 'feel' and adjust their playstyle to. That's why I love my guild healers, I know exactly when they're popping their cooldowns, so I don't have to, or the other way around.

As for trusting... in my opinion that's the healers problem, not the tank's problem. Like I said he's (the tank) doing his job. But again, I can kinda see where you're coming from. Nonetheless, personally I think the healer overreacted and would have had better results by just normally saying so and I bet the OP would not mind changing his playstyle a bit.
    Last edited by Ragorna; 2011-02-02 at 04:56 PM.
    Pilot: We've got a little situation ladies and gentlemen.
    Samuel: What seems to be the problem, Mr. pilot, sir?
    Pilot: There are snakes on the plane.
    Samuel: FFFFFFUUUUUU

hey

i have a lvl 71 prot paladin(which since has been put on the back burners) and a lvl 77 holy priest that i am rolling on a new server (yes i do have both a 85pally and an 85 priest on another account).

first from a healers standpoint low lvl healing is absolutely nothing like 80+ healing. i can basically spam my inefficient heals with little to no problems of going oom. so if you get into a que where healers are going oom they must be doing something drastically wrong(resto druids/shaman in melee gear or some else stupid).

also when i was on my pally tank im not gonna sit there and die just because it hurts the healers feeling if i push a 3hopo WoG.

Deleted
    I pop WoG whenever I can... I didn't realize I might insult somebody with it...

Your healer probably just wasn't figuring in your self-heals while healing. Your healer should know that they don't have to top tanks/dps off- it's them wasting their own mana. Let the target's self-heals top themselves off.

Your job as a tank is to control the pull and reduce your damage, and it seems that you're doing just that. You merely had a healer that needs some schooling.
    If you want to make raiding content harder, turn off DBM. Voila! Your encounters will be much more challenging without bleeps and someone telling you to "run away, little girl."

When I get in to a random with a protadin, I ask him/her if they'll be using WoG. If they answer yes, then I know I can be a little more relaxed in keeping their bar up. If they answer no, then I heal like I usually would.

I noticed that a prot pally would always wog himself to full right when I would go to cast penance on him. It was as if he knew I was about to cast... Haha mind you this is level 50. Who cares though. I just smite more.

Your healer needs to realize he's complaining about something that is making your group more durable in the long run, and he needs to adjust. If he's spamming you when you're at full or he's too low for the content... those are his mana issues.

When I tank, I use self-heals to alleviate the healing needed from the healer. When I heal, I appreciate tanks using self-heals to alleviate the healing I need to do.

If the other role starts getting pissy about it, I do a quick assessment if it seems like they're willing to learn or not and if they are, I educate them on why it's a good thing. Else I ignore them and don't bother "waisting" my time.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaltione View Post

If the other role starts getting pissy about it, I do a quick assessment if it seems like they're willing to learn or not and if they are, I educate them on why it's a good thing. Else I ignore them and don't bother "waisting" my time.
    Yeah, when He said that, a couple of the dps were like "lolwut?", so I just kept pulling like i had the whole time and completely ignored him. I think he stopped healing me for a while, but I didn't really notice. Lol, silly Holy priest, healing is for prot pallys!

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, only sounds like he was a kid needing something to complain about, I'll bet by the time he sees his first 85 Heroic and gets kicked for going oom on easy trash, he'll be kicked and ridiculed, cry, and quit the game.

Although from a healer's standpoint I'm happy to hear tanks being more lenient with 2-min and lower CDs and healing themselves, which I do myself all the time when I tank anyway. I know how healer mana is a problem for people starting to get geared in the new content and I would welcome a self-healing and CD-popping tank, I know the healer would appreciate it if I did it.

This is an example of a psycho healer, most of us arent like that at all. i think he was just looking for a reason to shout at someone.

If you are nearly gonna die and have to heal yourself then i welcome you helping out.
    That extra boost from WoG might be the difference between life and death for all 5 of us. its the ultimate agony of a tank dying as Divine Light is being cast with like 0.2 secs left (yeah probably should have used FoL instead)
    if u WoG and survive and i overheal that doesnt matter you are alive!

its also worth pointing out that at 85 it takes 3 Divine Lights to fully heal a tank (21k mana)
    medicus quercum, venit.
    One's soldiers should not yell abuse at the enemy. "Arouse a bee and it will come at you with the ferocity of a dragon." - Takeda Nobushige