Help on Nefarian 10man

We worked on Nef tonight and are having some major issues regarding the adds in ph1. We at first had a frost dk stay dps speced and just kite them with his frost slow, but he usually died at some point due to their speed buff they get over time. So we then had him go tank and just kite and tank them which helped slightly but our raid dps was cutting short. We found it very difficult to hit 2 crackles in ph1 with 3 tanks. Usually ony would blow up the raid a few seconds after the 2nd crackle with this strat and healers would be oom.

So we tried to just push 1 crackle in ph1 and 1 in ph2 and this seemed to help but we never really got to do much in ph3 due to not much experience in that phase. Can anyone provide any tips? We all watched the strat videos but they were all 25man and it appears this tank issue is non existent in 25man due to them usually running 3 tanks. Is 2 crackles before ph3 doable? or what can we do to seriously get to ph3 with people alive and mana. P.s that was another issue we had, our healers were pretty oom when we went for 2 crackles in ph1. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

10+ Year Old Account
    All the adds can be CC'ed. Depending on your group makeup, you should be able to CC at least 2-3 of them, and the rest should be easily healed through.

Tossing some logs up would help a bit. 2 tanks would be your best bet so the you can have a full time tank on them in p3. Just depends on the dps you bring that can help you out. A frost mage can solo kite them, or just use a mix of roots and fears on them.

2 crackles is what you should really shoot for in p1 and if your healers can manage you should toss in another crackle in p2.

Quote Originally Posted by Regennis View Post
    All the adds can be CC'ed. Depending on your group makeup, you should be able to CC at least 2-3 of them, and the rest should be easily healed through.
    This is what we've had the most luck with. Our issues are in P2 and P3.

Deleted
    cc as many as possible (shackle, trap, sleep, roots, fear, pala fear aso..) one or two can easily be outhealed or "tanked" by a holypally if you have one.

also you should try to get 3 crackles in p1, since this is by far the easiest phase of the encounter. the way you do this (ony gets the majority of her energy by the crackles themselves which means she will definitely explode after the third one) is, that you push the first 2 one really hard while you keep one dd at ony who brings her to about 5% (or 10% and the rest is done by the tank). while this is happening you nuke nef to about 71%, finish off onyxia and meanwhile pushing nef behind the 70% mark. this will cause a third crackle and pretty much simultaneously the phases will switch.
    this way you can do p2 without a crackle or if your healers are on top of their play and p3 is harder for you, you can do a 4. crackle in p2 leading to nef landing with about 51%.

here's how we do it right now.
    no we'havent killed nefarian yet, we've only put 8h straight into this boss fight to learn the mechanics, work on tactics, position, assignments etc etc.

phase 1:
    two crackles
    we cc as much adds as possible (shackle, fear, trap etc) and our fury warrior is kiting them with a shield equipped to the edge. he get's a CD from a healer in an emergency situation during the second crackle

phase 2:
    no crackles (yet)
    2 interrupters on each pillar (if one interrupt is failing)
    nefarian is between 71 and 67 percent at the time

phase 3:
    i tank nefarian on one edge in the room
    the second tank kites the adds around in the rest of the room with his pocket healer
    if a fire is goin to reach somebody in our camp one person runs a bit out to kite it away from us (mimiron's hardmode was a perfect boss where you could learn to kite the fire ^^)

thats it.. we still have to manage phase 3, since we avoid any crackles in p2 for now nefarian lands with around 71-67% which is still alot of hp for p3 and the more hp nef has in p3, the more fire will be there which leads to much less space for the add-tank to kite the adds.
    we'll be goin to try to deal with 1-2 crackles during p2 so nef will land with less hp for p3... plus its also some kind of gear check for a few of us (our shadowpriest went heal with almost no healer gear and for everybody else there are still upgrades though).
    nefarian will def. take some time.. you'll have to put some time into this encounter to find out with what strategy you'll do best

edit:
    thanks Kerbaroth! I'll mentioned that to my raid the next time we're goin to face him
    ››yeah, here used to be a signature once. I've must lost it somewhere in the twisting nether... still waiting for the mail from the postmaster.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Remember that such as "Shadowflame Breath" and "Electrical Discharge" both give stacks to the adds.
    Also, as already mentioned; CC works great on the adds.

Deleted
    I forgot to mention:
    if you try to set up a crackle in p2 be sure the weaker healer/s get some help from hybrids or the dds are using cooldowns / selfhealing abbilites.
    For example shadow priests can spam holy nova, or rogues do recuperate, or hunters do a glyphed raptor strike and so on. Also when doing 3 crackles in p1 make sure people have gs or cooldowns when they jump on a pillar, this really needs some practice since you won't be healed to 100% before the lava rises.
    however it makes the last phase much easier, which is really hard for the kiting tank .. at least if you don't have a prot warrior which might make it a bit easier i guess.

I dont know why NO one has mentioned this, but have 2 platforms kill off their add, then have those 2 platforms stack up on platform one that still has the add alive [ yes that means s short swim through laval] then you can push him as many as 2 or 3 times durring p2 with aoe heals and everything is fine. No one dies, no healer goes oohm, and everyone stays topped inbetween crackles. Really the easyst strat, pushing with people on separate platforms has the be the worst way iv ever seen p2 done on 10man.

My raid has either me (feral dps druid no tank talents) or our unholy DK (in blood pres) tank the adds off to the right side of the initial pillar. This LOS' onys lightning and it keeps you from being tail swiped as well, rotate CDs and then go back to dpsing nef when the adds kill themselves. Our healers can handle it, your should be able to as well.

To give a breakdown of our raid strat.

P1, tank onyxia to the left, nef to the right, myself (feral dps) or unholy dk (in blood pres) tank the adds directly to the right of initial pillar. We get 2 almost 3 crackles (we try pushing 3 but it gets hard on healer mana for p1)

P2: We all go to our pillars, burn mobs down, push a crackle if healers mana are okay (70% crackle).

P3: Have one tank (pally) kite adds around the room while a resto shammy follows him and heals him. Since we dropped hte adds off on the right side of the pillar in p1, our other tank just tanks nef on the left side of that pillar. This gives the kiting tank the whole room to work with. We lust after the 40% crackle, this normally coincides with our divine guardians + dps 3 min CDs coming back up.

We 1-2 shot him each week, fun fight.
    Last edited by masterprtzl; 2011-02-03 at 09:21 AM.

try tanking boss in the middle in p3 and kite the adds around the edge in circles, if you are good enough, the adds will reset

Deleted
    isn't lava stacking a +% firedmg taken debuff? i doubt swimming will be a good idea since the barrage is shadowflame damage

Deleted
    How do nefarian in 10 man:

In P1 we cc all the adds, palas glyph instant fear, traps, roots, shackle, everything. Really easy.

We push 3 crackles in p1, killing onyxia as fast as the 3rd emote comes up. In p2 we take one crackle and nef down to 55%
    When all the adds are dead and he begins to lands range go back on him and get him down to 50% about the same time as we stacked up again and healed everything.

Only 50% left in p3 and its a breeze. BL and nuke, use tranq on the "BL Crackles" since, they come very fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerbaroth View Post
    isn't lava stacking a +% firedmg taken debuff? i doubt swimming will be a good idea since the barrage is shadowflame damage
    We have done it everytime we have killed the boss on 10man, it is by far the best way to handle p2 since you can push up to 3 times if your dps is good enough.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zeta333 View Post
    We have done it everytime we have killed the boss on 10man, it is by far the best way to handle p2 since you can push up to 3 times if your dps is good enough.
    Do you know what your healers do to keep people up while they make that swim? Since they'll be swimming themselves they won't be able to heal much, and obviously he's still going to be shooting out his shadowflames and you will have the lava damage on top of that. I'm definitely interested in hearing how you do this because if we can make that work I do think it would make the fight much easier. Our problem so far has been pushing that 3rd crackle during P2 or at the end of P1 - we haven't successfully done it, and when we don't do it we haven't been able to finish P3.

Yeah, marking and CC's worked best for us also in phase1. We tried, trapping and rooting (balance druid 4 targets), but to much randomness before the stack up. So easier to mark and CC.

Cackle and tail swipe(?) need to be timed, you dont want to have a cackle and be pushed over.
    ||<>||<>|| Zvix - What Went Wrong - Talnivarr Eu||<>||<>||
    ||<>||<>|| Warlock Boss Movies -10m --> Nefarian, Al´Akir, Cho'gall and others!||<>||<>||
    ||<>||<>|| http://www.youtube.com/user/zvix01 ||<>||<>|| www.talnivarr.com ||<>||<>||

frost mage usually works best(havent done it much on 10); however it could take him a couple of wipes to get used to kiting between 2x cleaves/breaths/swipes. also make sure he doesnt have imp cone of cold or shattered barrier talent, you dont want to root them bad adds in the mid of the healers

Quote Originally Posted by Wilderness81 View Post
    Do you know what your healers do to keep people up while they make that swim? Since they'll be swimming themselves they won't be able to heal much, and obviously he's still going to be shooting out his shadowflames and you will have the lava damage on top of that. I'm definitely interested in hearing how you do this because if we can make that work I do think it would make the fight much easier. Our problem so far has been pushing that 3rd crackle during P2 or at the end of P1 - we haven't successfully done it, and when we don't do it we haven't been able to finish P3.
    We just make sure everyone is topped and as soon as they are in range of the mainplatform the healer there toss's out a heal to help and its all good, Its best to make dks, Hunters, and goblins swim since they can all negate or jump half the distance between the platform. One is only in the lava for like 3 seconds at most .