Getting a new Computer and...

...I can't put this together.

I got money to buy a new computer and was going to order an already made one.
    Brother, however, insisted that I should get the parts instead and have him build it for me, as it would be cheaper.
    I therefore got all the parts and ordered them, and I paid my brother a little bit for the help
    with putting it together.

Unfortunately, when it came to actually doing it, he claimed to be too busy and left me with the parts saying
    "Put it together yourself, it's just like LEGOS."

So now here I stand. Never having touched the insides of a computer other than replacing RAM once years ago.
    I've got parts worth 1350 euro lying on the table next to me and I have no clue what I'm doing.

How does I computar?

It's pretty much just like legos to be honest. Well Legos with screws. Youtube has a number of videos that offer guidance for all of the steps of building a computer, from installing the motherboard, to wiring, to applying thermal paste. You name it you can find quality videos on it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CStOC0hET8 Here is one made by newegg. If you need more depth, just search computer building tutorial or more do a more direct term such as "How to apply thermal paste."
    Last edited by Alan1187; 2011-02-03 at 05:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan1187 View Post
    It's pretty much just like legos to be honest. Well Legos with screws. Youtube has a number of videos that offer guidance for all of the steps of building a computer, from installing the motherboard, to wiring, to applying thermal paste. You name it you can find quality videos on it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CStOC0hET8 Here is one made by newegg. If you need more depth, just search computer building tutorial or more do a more direct term such as "How to apply thermal paste."
    I don't even know what thermal paste is.
    I dont even know what most the things are.

I am a bit technologically-impaired.

15+ Year Old Account
    I usually start by installing the CPU onto the motherboard before putting it into the case

can you list us off the parts you bought?
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

Quote Originally Posted by llDemonll View Post
    I usually start by installing the CPU onto the motherboard before putting it into the case

can you list us off the parts you bought?
    ASUS P8P67 (Motherboard?)
    GeForce GTX 570 (Graphic card probably)
    Corsair TX650w Powersupply (DUH)
    Corsair XMS3 4 GB (something?)
    intel core i7 Processor 3.40 GHz

15+ Year Old Account
    asus p8p67 = mobo
    geforce gtx 570 = gpu (video card)
    corsair xms3 4 gb = ram
    intel core i7 = cpu

this is very vague, but it's the general idea:

1. cpu goes into mobo, check with the mobo and/or cpu manual on what the orientation is. usually there's a little gold triangle-arrow on one side of the cpu that matches up with a tiny arrow on the motherboard. if the cpu doesnt drop in, it's in the wrong way

2. lock the cpu in place with the mobo "strap". this should be fairly easy but requires a tiny bit of force to get it all the way down

3. if you have an aftermarket cpu cooler, http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/sh....php?t=2280892 theres a decent guide (also shows the little gold triangles you're looking for). if you have the standard heatsink and no aftermarket thermal paste, the heatsink should have paste on it already

4. make sure the orientation of the heatsink is correct, the set it straight down on the motherboard. try not to slide it around as it'll mess up the paste. refer to the manual for exactly how the heat sink locks into place. it should not move at all when wiggled once it's locked in place. if it does, something is wrong

5. make sure motherboard standoffs are in the correct location in the case, and then mount the motherboard on them. dont overtighten screws, just tighten until snug

6. fun part: install case plugs into motherboard. black = negative, colored = positive

7. install ram in appropriate slots (according to motherboard manual), then install GPU

8. install hard drive, cd rom, and whatever else

9. install psu, then do all the wiring and properly plug everything in. for the normal computer you will need:
    24-pin plugged into mobo
    4/8 pin plugged into mobo (usually opposite side of the cpu from where the 24-pin plugs in)
    sata power for hdd and cd drive
    6/8 pin for pci-e graphics card (you might need two)

10. push power button, see if it works (once it's plugged into wall obviously)

i wish i could take pictures, but i dont have a random computer i can put together
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

Quote Originally Posted by llDemonll
    i wish i could take pictures, but i dont have a random computer i can put together
    No worries, come over to my place and build mine, better than pics!

15+ Year Old Account
    fly to seattle and i'd be glad to

Quote Originally Posted by llDemonll View Post
    fly to seattle and i'd be glad to
    Dont have any money, but I can attempt to walk there.
    I live in Central Europe, so expect me within the next 30-35 years.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    I would punch a whole in your brothers door. Teach him not be rude and promise something.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by A Forum Troll View Post
    Too bad you don't live in Denmark, takes 10 mins to put that together and then its driver/OS time!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by A Forum Troll View Post
    Come to western-europe and I'll build it for ya Don't you have computer repair shops closeby who you could call and build it for you? If you're that scared? Or advertisements in the newspapers/online of people who can come over and build it? If you REALLY don't know how to do it, I'd rather spend a bit of money to let someone built it, instead of building it yourself and blowing up some computer parts :x

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/27...guide-building

Read, read, read before you start attempting to put anything together.
    Last edited by hawtness; 2011-02-03 at 08:35 PM.

Deleted
    Putting it together is not nuclear physics, and there's first time for everything. And computer components are surprisingly tough. If you're forcing something with two hands, that's not the way to do it =P