Clipping mind Flay with the MFclip mod

Could someone who has this explain to me what exactly MF clipping is/does, and how to perform it? I watched the videos multiple times but im a complete retard, and not sure how to "mf clip" to increase my damage.

If you have quartz with the latency monitor enabled it'll show a little red segment on the cast bar. When you're within that red bit of the bar you can start to cast another spell. (hold the button you want and RELEASE upon getting into the red portion). That is how you do it. You essentially start another Mind Flay before the first finishes, but due to latency you get both.

Quote Originally Posted by Luminaris View Post
    If you have quartz with the latency monitor enabled it'll show a little red segment on the cast bar. When you're within that red bit of the bar you can start to cast another spell. (hold the button you want and RELEASE upon getting into the red portion). That is how you do it. You essentially start another Mind Flay before the first finishes, but due to latency you get both.

Do I need quartz and lat monitor to show when to recast the spell? Im just using mfclip itself, and when i cast spells there are these teal/light blue bars in between the cast bars, does that tell me the best places to recast mindflay/ cast spells? Whens the best times to clip, I see a teal/LB bar in about the middle(2 ticks of mindflay) but I go oom super fast clipping there, as long as I recast MF/another spell within a teal/blue bar thats when im gaining a dps bonus? Or the earlier clip the better.

thats alotta questions...

Since there are a few questions I'll split them up and answer them one by one to the best of my ability.

Do I need quartz and lat monitor to show when to recast the spell?
    Quartz has a built-in lat monitor so you don't have to download anything seperate, when the cast bar is in the little red area you can start recasting Mind Flay. It shows the little "red zone" which lets you know when to recast Mind Flay or start mashing the button for another spell, depending on what you want to cast.

Im just using mfclip itself, and when i cast spells there are these teal/light blue bars in between the cast bars, does that tell me the best places to recast mindflay/ cast spells?
    I personally don't use mfclip, but I would assume the little bars would indicate when MF will tick for damage (since it does damage 3 times in a single cast). So it doesn't exactly tell you when to recast Mind Flay or cast other spells.

Whens the best times to clip, I see a teal/LB bar in about the middle(2 ticks of mindflay) but I go oom super fast clipping there, as long as I recast MF/another spell within a teal/blue bar thats when im gaining a dps bonus?
    The best time to recast Mind Flay or cast another spell is either as soon as you finnish casting Mind Flay or as close to the end of the cast bar as humanly possible. You may or may not get a dps bonus (I don't know the math on 2 tick Mind Flay) with letting Mind Flay only tick twice.

NOW
    "clipping Mind Flay" is when you recast Mind Flay/cast another spell before the channeling time is finnished, this sometimes causes Mind Flay to not tick a third time (If this has indeed been fixed, let me know) thus causing a loss in dps. The best way to avoid this is to recast/cast when the cast bar is in the "latency zone" (The red zone if you use Quartz) since WoW pretty much gives you the benefit of the doubt and gives you the third tick anyway

As a little disclaimer, though my main is a Shadow Priest I am not nearly as methodical with the details as some players are. So if I get something wrong then I apologize.
    Last edited by Baelic; 2011-02-04 at 02:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Baelic View Post
    Since there are a few questions I'll split them up and answer them one by one to the best of my ability.

Quartz has a built-in lat monitor so you don't have to download anything seperate, when the cast bar is in the little red area you can start recasting Mind Flay. It shows the little "red zone" which lets you know when to recast Mind Flay or start mashing the button for another spell, depending on what you want to cast.

I personally don't use mfclip, but I would assume the little bars would indicate when MF will tick for damage (since it does damage 3 times in a single cast). So it doesn't exactly tell you when to recast Mind Flay or cast other spells.

The best time to recast Mind Flay or cast another spell is either as soon as you finnish casting Mind Flay or as close to the end of the cast bar as humanly possible. You may or may not get a dps bonus (I don't know the math on 2 tick Mind Flay) with letting Mind Flay only tick twice.

NOW
    "clipping Mind Flay" is when you recast Mind Flay/cast another spell before the channeling time is finnished, this sometimes causes Mind Flay to not tick a third time (If this has indeed been fixed, let me know) thus causing a loss in dps. The best way to avoid this is to recast/cast when the cast bar is in the "latency zone" (The red zone if you use Quartz) since WoW pretty much gives you the benefit of the doubt and gives you the third tick anyway

As a little disclaimer, though my main is a Shadow Priest I am not nearly as methodical with the details as some players are. So if I get something wrong then I apologize.
    Awesome thanks for the tips

The MFClip addon does one thing: In your Quartz, it gives a red bar showing its guessed time when you should interrupt a Mind Flay to do another potentially higher damage move.

The problem is, it estimates latency based on the time at the start of the cast, not in real time, so it's not reliable.

Infact, clipping Mind Flay has been shown to be a DPS decrease across the board. It looks good on Spreadsheets, but because you don't have a ping lower than 50, and a brain lag lower than 4ms, you just shouldn't do it.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

Herald of the Titans DiscoGhost's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    i like quartz more
    You can tune a piano, but you can't tuna fish.

It's generally not a good idea to clip your MF's anymore and now you can queue your next spell cast before your current one finishes you really don't need anything like quartz (but I still use it)

In WoTLK I used Quartz for clips and dot timing. I dabbled with MFclip but ultimately favored Quartz. Now in Cata I'm using ForteXorcist and default cast bar and don't really worry about clips any more. Just keep dots rolling, refresh your empowered shadow as necessary, and mf.

Personally I use MFClip and Quartz together. I only really use MFclip for stats at the end of the fight and I love the sound that tells me that I clipped. It just reminds me while in a heated battle to watch my flay casts more.
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Dragonmaw&n=Dollaa

If you use the basic CastBars (thats actually the name of the addon) you'll see a small portion of the bar go green, which you can then let off on your mindflay key and itll be instant, no dps loss. works great.

Deleted
    Just to clear something personal up;
    Didn't Blizzard make DoTs just extend the last cast, so effectively the only loss from 'clipping' would be mana?
    I imagined MF always worked this way, I know theres a few dot/MF bugs going around also.

The idea of clipping mind flay started when mind blast was overall better dmg per cast than mind flay. So due to the priority nature of our dps it was better to sometimes cast mind flay and shorten the cast after the 2nd tick to cast mind blast again. Now mind blast is used mostly for emp shadows (will change with patch) so clipping the mind flay to cast mind blast can currently hurt your dps. I don't have through numbers but I believe as of right now the only time it is advantageous to clip the mf is when empowered shadows has fallen off.