Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account

Potential Elemental LvB/LB 1 button macro?

I'm new to macros and I've done some reading and it seems inpossible to have a macro that will accurately use Lava Burst (LvB) if it's not on cool down and Lightning Bolt (LB) any other time (At least without third party software that is considered hacking. The problem being Lava Surge procs being what they are - random).

However, I just want to put this alternative out there and I know it won't be accurate by any means, but maybe viable in a casual (casual being, daily heroics/ 7/12 normals raiding) Ele Sham rotation. A little feedback is all I ask, and if I'm way out of the ball park I won't be surprised, as I'm no macro veteran.

How would;
    /castrandom Lava Burst, Lightning Bolt
    work?
    - Would it cast LB if LvB is on c/d
    - Is the 50% chance high enough for it to be a not major dps loss (assuming you can usually hit the Lava Surge procs as soon as possible)

The problem is, I'm often missing Lava Surge procs and losing the dps that would usually provide, if this would get half of the Lava Surge procs, I feel this would be a dps increase for me.

Before anyone starts saying that this is not ideal, I know. I should be hitting the Lava Surges almost dead on all the time for max dps. But with all the distractions in a raid environment, latency and just other things going on, I often miss them. I'm more interested in how this acts while LvB is on c/d as I temporarily don't have access to WoW. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Peace

you cant make castrandom macroes with abilities anymore..

Also I'm not sure about a macro for 1 button, can only see one solution, make a modify macro, but thats the same as making another keybind, so not really that useful.

I think ppl have been talking about this kinda macro, and I'm not to see one, tell me if you find something useful :P

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ahh, see. I was just thinking, if it ignored the LvB while its on c/d and only casts LB, then you could just have something like;
    /castrandom Lava Burst, Lightning Bolt, Lava Burst, Lava Burst, Lava Burst, Lava Burst, Lava Burst, Lava Burst, Lava Burst, Lava Burst, Lava Burst, Lava Burst
    So odds are you get it every Lava Surge proc.

Ah, well, thats too bad. Would have been uber amazing (however broken).

15+ Year Old Account
    We're already one of the simplest class regarding abilities vs others 6-7 so dont think its hard to control your Lava surge proccs.
    They usually come halfway through our Lightning bolts, I wouldnt say you are missing out on the lava urge procc by finishing the cast, and i hope you arent canceling the LB cast to cast lavaburst, that would result in a dps loss.
    We dont have a set ROTATION anymore, but rather a priority system.
    i Dont see any problems in you getting use of the Lava surge since it resets your lavaburst. Its quite simple to notice the big red lavas on your screen, if you see that,you know that after that lightning bolt is casted you chose lavaburst.
    The biggest delay you have on ONE lava surge procc is the cast of an lightning bolt. so its not "wasted" unless you are spamming Lightning bolt for the full 8 seconds when it resets at For example 3 seconds, letting it have a natural cooldown. if you catch my drift
    Last edited by Rosh; 2011-02-04 at 08:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitlam View Post

The problem is, I'm often missing Lava Surge procs and losing the dps that would usually provide, if this would get half of the Lava Surge procs, I feel this would be a dps increase for me.

Before anyone starts saying that this is not ideal, I know. I should be hitting the Lava Surges almost dead on all the time for max dps. But with all the distractions in a raid environment, latency and just other things going on, I often miss them. I'm more interested in how this acts while LvB is on c/d as I temporarily don't have access to WoW. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Peace
    If you don't have the Totem Timers addon, get it. It gives you a nice looking spell alert animation that you can't miss for those lava surges.

I think I can post some hint on it, you should be able to figure out how to write the rest of it.
    You dont need castrandom, castsequence alone with one LvB and the rest LB will do, the only thing that matter is when to reset the sequence when lava surge occurs.
    For getting the cooldown, you need to use /script local GetSpellCooldown(x)
    x is the variable and you can define it to anything.
    I am not sure how to check lava surge proc with macro, but you shouldnt need it.
    If statments are more efficient.

EDIT: You can lookup how to use the GetSpellCooldown API in google or something.
    Last edited by good diu bro; 2011-02-04 at 02:06 PM.

Deleted
    /castsequence Lightning Bolt ,
    /cast Lavaburst

dunno if this still works, don't forget the ","
    this throws out a lvb every time the cooldown is ready, at least it used to at late wotlk/beginning cata

I dont think that it is possible due to the lavasurge proccs. But a macro for just the two spells, like we ele had many button to push in the first place ...

You can't make it with an in-game macro.

But you can make it with third-party software such as Logitech mouse software or AutoHotKey software.
    I won't go into details because it's rather borderline with the Blizzard EULA.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grantji View Post
    /cast Lavaburst

this throws out a lvb every time the cooldown is ready, at least it used to at late wotlk/beginning cata
    This one seems to work. Whether or not it works optimal in synergy with Lava Surge I wouldn't know for sure.

Deleted
    if youre casting lvb and get a surge proc, you'll cast another lb first before the next lvb, just checked...
    but i guess thats better than not casting the lvb at all.

i'm not a mainspec ele, i dont know how much dps you might lose or win with this macro. I used it for the leveling phase

10+ Year Old Account
    /cast Lavaburst

It "works", but poorly. If used as an additional spam button, it's fine, but you'll still want LB and LvB bound separately, so you can fire LvB to open without an LB first, and fire LBs instead of LvBs when needed (for instance, as the instant cast when you proc EM; LB's cast time is longer so it's a better choice).

The following code is about as good as it is possible to get in the current macro system, but I don't honestly recommend it except as a learning tool;

Code:
    #showtooltip
    /use 10
    /castsequence Lightning Bolt,
    /cast Lava Burst
    The "/use" command is for Engineering glove enchants. You can also sub in similar commands for trinkets.

if youre casting lvb and get a surge proc, you'll cast another lb first before the next lvb, just checked...
    but i guess thats better than not casting the lvb at all.
    Yet another reason to move past this macro as soon as you can.

A better idea for you rather than a macro would be to get a mod that tracks your buffs and alerts you when something procs. Im sure theres a shaman specific one out there, but I pretty much use Rogue Power Bars for everything (its default set has rogue abilities but you can add any ability yourself so long as you know the name of the actual buff; for instance, brain freeze's talent proc for a frost mage is called "Fireball!") Put it somewhere closer to where you spend most of your time looking... should help you react faster and more accurately than if you used a macro.

Try this:

#showtooltip
    /cast [button:1] Lightning Bolt; Lava Burst

What this should do is left click for Lightning Bolt, right click for Lava Burst.
    I think this is about as close to a 1 button macro as you can get.
    -----+-- [Thaddius] ++++++++

Just because you are unique, does not mean you are right.
    Ðoser of Illidan

Castrandom won't work because it sticks on something if it fails to cast so you'd end up constantly trying to case LvB while it was still on CD.

/castsequence Lightning Bolt,
    /cast Lava Burst

Apparently works but I do expect it to get nurfed. Best thing to do is get some sort of add-on to make it easy for you to notice when you get a proc. Power Auras, Need to know etc. Plenty of options, just find one that works for you and use it.