Thread: Are mages OP?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hordie View Post
    yeah it prob was a premade with ppl with shitty gear...
    because haters go to such lengths to prove how a class is op...

/yawn
    You base your argument on an edited video which shows only the best moments, so what if I made a video where I'm getting constantly annihilated as a frost mage, would you start to say frost mages are underpowered ?

Your proof is manipulated thus proves nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Difuid View Post
    You base your argument on an edited video which shows only the best moments, so what if I made a video where I'm getting constantly annihilated as a frost mage, would you start to say frost mages are underpowered ?

Your proof is manipulated thus proves nothing.
    ^this is exactly my point

Yeah they are. Just because GC decided to roll one.
    Hi

Quote Originally Posted by Demonidze View Post
    lol at you .. this is actualy quite alot of mages at the top, cant be that only skilled mages made it to the top, what about other skilled players who play other classes? the fact that number of skilled players who play mage made it to the top rankings are more then number of skilled players who play other classes, says something about mages, as a class.
    except for the last 8 seasons numerous top 10 teams have always had a mage in it, in fact the most op comp has always been rogue/mage/priest...i still dont see what ur point is. You just have a really hard time beating a frost mage and u go on about how Op they are, but in fact frost has always been a really stable pvp spec and always will be, get over it. You're just complaining at this point.

---------- Post added 2011-02-04 at 09:12 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Hordie View Post
    so much qq in such smal text, nerdrage more please
    i dont even have to guess whats your class to know that ur magefanboy
    its sad how bad of a troll you are, or u just realize that ur completely wrong, ur not even trying to reply with anything that required the use of ur brain. I havent qq'd about anything in any of my posts. The guy took tiny pieces of a bunch of bg's that he was in and made it look like he did really good using his wheel to play mage. I'm not the only one that realizes this, you just dont want to be wrong. Cry about mages all day/night, it wont help u at all, ur still never gonna be able to counter them until u learn to play whatever class it is that u play.
    Last edited by mmotramp; 2011-02-04 at 09:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mmotramp View Post
    except for the last 8 seasons numerous top 10 teams have always had a mage in it, in fact the most op comp has always been rogue/mage/priest...i still dont see what ur point is. You just have a really hard time beating a frost mage and u go on about how Op they are, but in fact frost has always been a really stable pvp spec and always will be, get over it. You're just complaining at this point.
    perhaps you should read this thread and educate yourself, you, mouthbreathing nonintelligent creature.

Whats the point of this thread? Mages are OP just like water is wet. What a silly question. Frost mages are a lot more OP now then 3.0 ret palas.
    I see keyboard turning clicker mages run around and spam ice lance and play like a retard with crap gear and still destroy everyone. Frost mages are alos the best flag carriers. Anyone saying mages are not OP are either playing one, with one, or is just really really stupid.

Deleted
    I don't think we are no. Don't get me wrong, some classes I completely annihilate in PvP, but others do the same to me.

Mages are extremely overpowered in PvP. Best mobility, huge burst, lots of slows & CC. Heck I can solo 2v2 arenas as a mage from time to time.

In PvE they're ok nothing special but still very usefull with add control.

Quote Originally Posted by Lolretadin View Post
    From what I've seen, there is only ONE counter for a Frost Mage and that is a Destruction Warlock. This is, of course, in 1v1.
    Aff locks
    Ferals
    Dks
    Hunters (more evident post patch)

Soft counters-
    A good sub rogue has a slight advantage atm (assuming he plays to win aka arena not a duel)
    Spriests (in the arena, or any los)
    Enh Shammys

Those are 1v1. Now if you want to talk about arena-

Any melee cleave with a dispeller. (that means about 50% of teams counter us)
    Any comp that trains us. (that's at least 25% of the other teams)

Honestly, I can't think of one single class that we hard counter atm, and you can't say warriors anymore.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Astroape View Post
    Is water wet?
    hahaha i lold thnkz for makin my day starting with a smile

Quote Originally Posted by Demonidze View Post
    lol at you .. this is actualy quite alot of mages at the top, cant be that only skilled mages made it to the top, what about other skilled players who play other classes? the fact that number of skilled players who play mage made it to the top rankings are more then number of skilled players who play other classes, says something about mages, as a class.
    There's more locks and shams in the top arena brackets- looks like your main is a lock. Just saying...

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rtjason View Post
    Aff locks
    Ferals
    Dks
    Hunters (more evident post patch)

Soft counters-
    A good sub rogue has a slight advantage atm (assuming he plays to win aka arena not a duel)
    Spriests (in the arena, or any los)
    Enh Shammys

Those are 1v1. Now if you want to talk about arena-

Any melee cleave with a dispeller. (that means about 50% of teams counter us)
    Any comp that trains us. (that's at least 25% of the other teams)

Honestly, I can't think of one single class that we hard counter atm, and you can't say warriors anymore.
    Oddly enough, the teams I've always had the least trouble with is melee cleaves. It's those damn Shamans that piss me right off.
    BfA Beta Time

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    My bet is... yes!

15+ Year Old Account
    Oh yeah, on the top 8 teams across all BGs, there are 47 Mages. 8x3x13= 312. I don't think 47 players out of 312 is all that many really, and the number of Mages in the top 8 varies greatly from BG to BG (some have 2 others have 7, shit happens).
    BfA Beta Time

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by njorde View Post
    By OP I mean you noticeably win more fights than lose them, and plz no bias wtb peeps who have played other classes vs. mages
    Absolutely not! I get so owned on my mage, even in frost spec.

What many of the "Mages are OP"-howlers fail to grasp is that while frost-pvp can be terrifyingly deadly, it is actually not a trivial matter to play it correctly: 4 interlocking cooldowns and a very high requirement for mobility. I for one just can't seem to do it right, always ending up getting stunned, silenced, death-gripped or simply 4-shotted by a hunter i PvE gear.

The mage OP-hysteria has reached almost mythical proportions: I actually had to duel a guildie and spam him with ice lances just to prove that ice lance along has insignificant damage.

Mages are not OP, just as well as Affli is totally balanced

Quote Originally Posted by Swizzle View Post
    Oh yeah, on the top 8 teams across all BGs, there are 47 Mages. 8x3x13= 312. I don't think 47 players out of 312 is all that many really, and the number of Mages in the top 8 varies greatly from BG to BG (some have 2 others have 7, shit happens).
    Yeah and with no time warp, a lot of those top 8 (mage/spriest comps) are probably not going to be there anymore unless spriests get some tlc with dispels protection and mana.

It's odd that you don't have problems with melee cleave / good dispeller. What comp are you playing in threes and are they sitting on you? Melee cleaves usually tunnel me down the entire match and a warrior with freedom/dispels right now pretty much ensures you don't outlive hypothermia.

I started off the season with spriest/mage/hpally and now am playing rmp, but those comps beat either of my teams if they camped me. If they didn't it was usually an easy win for us though.

by the way, you better break that shit down- mages have 15% representation in the top 8 teams. hunters have 0. ten classes. they aren't really overly represented atm and have been dropping for awhile now.
    Last edited by rtjason; 2011-02-04 at 01:33 PM.

Deleted
    Mages are OP? Like hell they are.
    Imagine if Elemental shamans could cast lightning bolt instantly, and instead of that no-good-for-pvp earthquake they got they had a deepfreeze equilevant skill. Guess what, they would be at the spot frost mages are now.
    But those changes are insane and shaman are never gonna get anything like that, you know why? Because for most people, being overpowered as a hybrid, (aka 3.0 Ret) is totally unacceptable, while frost mages being overpowered, is something natural. That's crap, but it's reality.
    At least, hybrids are good for pvp at least in the role they were first meant to be, healers. I only see Shadowpriests as the exception, because they're the only healing capable hybrid that has a viable dps spec for pvp.

It's not about skill or gear, to have potential. It's about the tools you have, and nowadays, tools is CC. Having loads of CC, you have potential to do well in pvp. The more CC, the more OP your class is. The more OP your class is, the more you enjoy it, and the more you try to defend its' OPness. Now excuse me, I do not intend to bash skillful frost mages, but there are litterally shitloads of mages running wild in frost spec, simply because it has the tools. I cannot make you see that a class is OP, but I can make you see that the class is not in line with the others post the upcomming patch, unless more changes are made, which I doubt they will because the patch is probably comming in a week or two.

Look at ferals, their root imunity with shifting is gone. Warrriors can't charge/intercept. Paladins never really posed a threat. Melee mobility got nerfed, where's the Root nerf? I don't care for frost's damage, I think it's fine, I don't care for it's utility, I think it's fine too. But what bothers me is the insane amount of Control mages have.

They wanted mages to cast frostbolt more, why not put a 5sec cd on icelance instead then? Make it more in line with the shaman's shocks? Why frost mage can do all he can while moving around, and an ele shaman or a boomkin have to sit and cast to do anything? It's not a big deal, not in this issue, not in all the issues I said, but a small deal here, a small deal there, and a big deal is piled up, and all those small stuff, are a part of a bigger issue. I know the spec's about to be for control and survivability, but it's too much, it needs fine-tuning.

sorry for long post, this is my and only my opinion, with no offense intended, I don't ask you to embrace it, nor to agree, but thanks for reading.

Deleted
    You don't know the POWER of the frost side!
    Join us or perish!

Quote Originally Posted by Risby View Post
    Mages in 2v2 is insane, freshly dinged with just under 100k HP is at 1700 rating. Never seen any other class without gear reaching that high now a bit into the season. In 3v3 I don't feel the same OP as I play HPala/Aff Lock/Ass Rogue, but in 2s Ret/War it was hell
    Rolled Feral/Mage with a friend, we hit 2k rating in 2v2 and he had little under 95k health unbuffed. About 600 resilience too.