Thread: WOW = Golf

Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

WOW = Golf

So you pay your money to join a golf club and play on the course. If you have bad round after bad round, you practice. You go to the putting green or driving range at work at what you are bad at. You identify weaknesses in your swing or grip and rectify them.

What you do not do is ask for the bunkers to be removed, the rough to be cut and the greens to be made huge, with easy pin position.

Why, in Cata, are so many people annoyed that they have a challenge to overcome? And why do they expect to get the good loot, from heroics, without having to make the effort to earn them?

I think I just fell in love, thankyou sir, thankyou

The people who like to complain are the loudest, squeaky wheel gets the grease and all that. I don't think it's anywhere near a majority of people, just the lazies or people that don't have time to play. In a few months, the same people will be complaining that the game is faceroll, once they acquire the gear and strats they need to survive. Anonymous forums tend to make people think others care about their woes.

Personally I'm not at all annoyed. I got very frustrated by the "drag race" mentality in WOTLK -- if you couldn't blast through an instance at a run, it wasn't worth doing. I played a healer through some of WOTLK and gave up doing pugs altogether because you could not convince people to slow down, even to complete quests.

I dusted off my then-level 70 warrior for Cata (who I obviously didn't even play during WOTLK), leveled her up and she's now my 85 main. I love that dungeons now require strategy and some thought to CC again. I tell people that I'm glad I never played a warrior in WOTLK because as a tank she didn't pick up any bad habits.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lol, there was a golf ad under this thread hehe

Quote Originally Posted by lumpheed View Post
    Why, in Cata, are so many people annoyed that they have a challenge to overcome? And why do they expect to get the good loot, from heroics, without having to make the effort to earn them?
    Obviously because WoW != Golf.
    Really. WoW has no handicap.
    Samin
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashrana View Post
    So, what would be your reaction, if you found out, that come cata release first patch, blizzard were planning to kill everyone by sending a bear through the mail?

Deleted
    Exactly, but dont forget that Golf is boring as hell and same applies for Cataclysm as well.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Proper View Post
    Exactly, but dont forget that Golf is boring as hell and same applies for Cataclysm as well.
    What an open minded opinion for what is one of the most popular sports in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Proper View Post
    Luckily that is a subjective observation in both cases and doesn't apply for everyone
    Samin
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashrana View Post
    So, what would be your reaction, if you found out, that come cata release first patch, blizzard were planning to kill everyone by sending a bear through the mail?

because in WoW golf, every other stroke someone else is hitting the ball for you, and you have no control over how good, or bad they are. So you spend 5 hours practicing, and next thing you know you get darkknightgolfer69 teeing off with his putter.

in WOTLK, when the new developers came in.. they took on an attitude of "lets listen to the players, for everything"

Now everyone got spoiled and adopted the "I'm the customer.. so I get what I want"..

This is so wrong, it's not even funny... but that is also what you get when you have teenagers thinking they are the developers of a multi-million dollar enterprise...

Kids are "always right".. didn't you know?

Deleted
    I'm fairly sure Blizzard could easily just denote some servers as "hard" and others as "easy", autotuning encounters to the server's set difficulty. If this were the case the whole "OMG THIS GAME IS HARD!" thing would be treated the same as the "I GOT KILLED ON A PVP SERVER!" nonsense. The latter being a non issue now because you choose to play on it, you deal with the crap.

Quote Originally Posted by lenthe View Post
    because in WoW golf, every other stroke someone else is hitting the ball for you, and you have no control over how good, or bad they are. So you spend 5 hours practicing, and next thing you know you get darkknightgolfer69 teeing off with his putter.
    *COUGH* Team play *COUGH*

There are many golfing tournaments where its team play (look at Happy Gilmore!! :P) ...

...Why, in Cata, are so many people annoyed that they have a challenge to overcome?...?
    Because they joined the club when it had a mini golf field, and then they decided to Doze that and extend the 18th hole...

On a related note, i myself welcome the new found challenge, its to bad my level 80 clubs are for some reason, worthless now... Hmmm.....

well on the flip side, you're playing doubles, you're playing at scratch and your partner is sitting at max 36 handicap. No matter how good you are, your score still sucks and you don't win the tournament.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kueson View Post
    Because they joined the club when it had a mini golf field, and then they decided to Doze that and extend the 18th hole...

On a related note, i myself welcome the new found challenge, its to bad my level 80 clubs are for some reason, worthless now... Hmmm.....
    Still they agree and accepted the change @ first and now they cant succeed in becoming the new masters of this golf field without even trying like it was on the mini golf field.
    Plus this game was a Elite Golf club before (Vanilia, BC) becoming a mini golf club (WotlK no skill paradise) and now its back to a decent Golf Club (cata).
    Retired

Im what you probably would concider a casual player, i dont got the time to raid but i do still like to go do a few dungeons and maybe a pug raid once every month or two, i dont see why us casual players shouldnt be able to get any good items from heroics. ofc not the best tier but the tier that were before the best tier like it was in wotlk, im fine with heroics giving blues and all. but i do know if i have to keep the gear i have now which is just about best in slot for my class from heroics, through all of cataclysm im gonna quit right away.
    i know theres alot players out there playing like me who dont got the time to go raiding at the evening. but afterall we do still pay as much as you who go raiding and claim people will have to make an effort for the items.
    its okay casual players is a tier behind like in wotlk but if we have to stay in blues because you dont like us in purple items its like saying to all casual players "thanks for the money now go enjoy no new content for you"

So you pay your money to join a golf club and play on the course. If you have bad round after bad round, you practice. You go to the putting green or driving range at work at what you are bad at. You identify weaknesses in your swing or grip and rectify them.

What you do not do is ask for the bunkers to be removed, the rough to be cut and the greens to be made huge, with easy pin position.

This is a very true analogy. I used to golf before I had kids. I would go out two or three times a week. I had to quit because of the time sink. Practice, lessons, joined a ladies league, 3-4 hour rounds if the courses were clogged with hackers. Most of the time I chose courses I knew I could get through in a timely matter. I loved golf and can't wait to play again.

At least with WoW, I can play at night. It's just hard to fit in the raids nights with farming VP's in heroics, and farming mats for raiding/making gold. The heroics are the worst, though. NOT because they are difficult, but because they take longer now (time sink), or fall apart (had 2 tanks leave H GB yesterday just because it was H GB). I really don't remember BC heroics taking this long, other then one or two, even with CC. Maybe it was because it was always with people you knew from the server.

I really don't mind the difficulty. I can stay out of the fire and CC at the same time. I just don't appreciate the 45 min queue for a random, then the 2 hours it takes a bad group to get through a heroic for just 70 VP's. Yes, I'm in a guild, but we only have so many tanks/healers and they are not always on, or have already run their daily heroic.
    Last edited by Stalirris; 2011-02-04 at 02:15 PM. Reason: coffee = better spelling

Only problem with your analogy is that no matter what, you are able to finish the course. Even more you don't need to find 9 other people who can meet at the same times every week to get past the different holes