Page 1 of 29
... LastLast

Luck of the Draw Buff

Update #2 - Yes, Patch 4.0.6 is next week, stop asking.

Luck of the Draw Buff
    Originally Posted by Blizzard (Blue Tracker)
    In case you aren't already aware, Luck of the Draw is the name of the buff you get for grouping with random people using Dungeon Finder. It currently provides a 5% buff to damage, healing, and health if you have at least one random player in your group. With patch 4.0.6, we are increasing this buff to 5% damage, healing, and health per random player, up to a maximum of 15%.

In the process of working on this change we actually discovered that the Luck of the Draw buff has not been working in Cataclysm at all, save for a few specific dungeons. This means that the difficulty in almost all normal and Heroic dungeons for those using the Dungeon Finder tool was higher than expected. Still, with that issue corrected in 4.0.6, we feel the bump up to 15% for three or more random players found through the Dungeon Finder is a necessary change.

The intent of Luck of the Draw is to help make up for the lack of coordination, communication, and familiarity that pick up groups suffer relative to organized groups of guild members and friends. Cataclysm dungeons, especially on Heroic mode, are quite challenging and ask for more group organization than the Wrath of the Lich King dungeons did. Therefore, Luck of the Draw became relatively weaker in Cataclysm. I'm painting the picture with unfairly large brush strokes here, but in general, Heroic dungeons are of appropriate difficulty for organized groups, but just brutal on Dungeon Finder groups. Players wonder, and rightly so, why Dungeon Finder supports Cataclysm Heroic dungeons at all when the chance of success is so low.

We think buffing Luck of the Draw is a good way to go about correcting the difficulty differences because it makes things slightly easier on PUGs without depriving the organized groups of a fun challenge. We also think the bonus is modest enough that it won't encourage organized groups to split up and just PUG instead - - the success rate for PUGs relative to organized groups is just that far behind. We still think you'll have more fun and a greater chance of success running dungeons with friends, but when that isn’t possible, we hope this change will make Dungeon Finder a more pleasant experience. Also remember that patch 4.0.6 is adjusting the difficulty of some bosses that are particularly unforgiving, such as Ozruk in Heroic Stonecore, though to be fair, we are buffing some underperforming encounters as well. In addition, we are offering larger Justice Point rewards for players who just prefer the faster pace and greater success rate of normal dungeons, and by the time 4.1 comes out everyone will have access to more powerful gear, making the older content even easier. But then there'll be new challenges to face!

We'd like to thank everyone who has provided us with feedback. We do listen, even if we don't immediately deploy every design change suggested by the player community. Our intent is to make the game fun for a wide variety of players, which can be quite a challenge when you have a community this large and this varied. We hope you continue to enjoy the game, and look forward to sharing more changes (and a few surprises) in the months ahead.

-Greg "Ghostcrawler" Street is the lead systems designer for World of Warcraft and was attacked by a coati as a child. (True story.)

All Rated Battleground Weeks Now 10v10
    Originally Posted by Blizzard (Blue Tracker)
    We’re in the process of developing a hotfix to push before next Tuesday that will change all 15vs15 rated battleground weeks into 10vs10 weeks.

Looking at participation, the 10vs10 rated battleground weeks have been far and away more popular than the 15vs15 weeks. The difference in organizational requirements as well as battleground map popularity have been a couple big factors that have led to the 10vs10 weeks seeing a great deal more action. By making this change and supporting the popular option we hope to encourage even more players and teams to participate, as they won’t have to wait out every other week, or struggle to beef up to 15 players to match the requirement.

We also have plans to adapt additional battleground maps in the future to work in the 10 player bracket to increase the variety of maps available.
    Last edited by Boubouille; 2011-02-05 at 01:44 AM.

Wow, nerfed again.

Pugging was easy enough.

Ghostcrawler makes me mad again >.<

Edit: Hell on the upside maybe people will buy my enchanting scrolls now that they can actually get gear.
    Last edited by Coar; 2011-02-04 at 05:12 PM.

Agreed with coar. This really wasn't needed.

Deleted
    Oh dear. Not good.

These changes make me happy

They eventually went the way the QQ wanted them to go, make stuff easier because they're too lazy to organize a semi-decent group, its funny to be honest.

A much needed PUG nerf, actually. I love the added tactics and such of Cata heroics, but 4 hour heroics with PUGs are not fun.

Damn,pugging was easy already.

FREE LEWT FOR ALLZ!

10+ Year Old Account
    I do think if it turned out to not be working at all since the start of cata its good that this is corrected. On the 10% increase to 15% i think its a good change tbh even if they are not hard anymore they are atleast for me boring taking a really long time to complete. So yeah i agree with this change.

Seriously.. nerfbat away! This stuff is easy already.

bad...really bad

I think this is great. I was trying to think of how Blizz would address the heroic difficulty without pissing off all the people who actually like them. This is the perfect way. You don't PuG to be challenged, you PuG to get geared fast.

Deleted
    Don't mind, I'm with my guild groups alot more since cata anyway.

Also, lol @ tryhards crying about this.

"New challenges to face!"

New 5 mans? :3

Like Shezz says, you dont like it, dont PUG. PUG'ing represents some unique challenges, and I think this addresses it well.

Wow, more nerfs. I am disappoint.
    Once in church when priest went to get more candles I whispered to my friend "Priest ran out of reagents" and heard someone laugh very loud behind us. -Peeb

10+ Year Old Account
    I do not approve.

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe people will start buying my enchanting mats :P

Deleted
    -Greg "Ghostcrawler" Street is the lead systems designer for World of Warcraft and was attacked by a coati as a child. (True story.)