Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

[Feral Cat] Threat issues

Sorry if this has been cowered before but I couldn't find any thread.

So I'm just wondering if I'm the only cat with high threat issues? More often than most I take aggro off the tank(mainly on trash) but also on bosses.
    I'm doing all the classic things to avoid this by having the tank in focus and hitting what he's hitting and using Cower when my aggro reaches about 80-85%.
    And I'm also holding off about 5 secs in the beginning of the pull and using Omen threat meter. Still more often than not this isn't enough

I would gladly trade away for eg. Survival Instincts or Barkskin(seems more like bear talents to me) for Tricks of the Trade or Misdirect.

I have also noticed that I have the most problems with this when paired up with a Warrior tank so I'm being extra careful around them.

My only conclusion is that I'm the one doing something wrong and that's why I'm asking

10+ Year Old Account
    Are you feral charging and ravaging at the beginning of the fight? In my guild we have a kitty who does this and he's usually pretty damn close to pulling aggro.(our pally healer made a macro to salv him :P)
    Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light.
    So I chose the path of the Ebon Blade, and not a day passes where i've regretted it.
    I am eternal, I am unyielding, I am UNDYING.
    I am Zethras, and my blood will be the end of you.

Use Cower more, 10% less threat every 10 seconds should be enough

Quote Originally Posted by Sabotender81 View Post
    I have also noticed that I have the most problems with this when paired up with a Warrior tank so I'm being extra careful around them.
    Bad warrior tank needs to learn his snap threat rotation.

i def have this problem. doing 30k+ damage in 5 seconds is destroys the tanks threat

10+ Year Old Account
    Cower earlier and don't go all out from the start? (:
    Thundercunts and stuff

Sorry if this has been cowered before but I couldn't find any thread.
    Lol loved that start of the thread

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Treelife View Post
    Use Cower more, 10% less threat every 10 seconds should be enough
    For the last 50% of bossfights it's a Godsend, but for the start of fights, especially on trash - where kittys sometimes get a bit careless - it's almost useless. Say you have 80k threat, dump 8k, rip crits for over 10k and you suddently have more threat even after cower.

Here's a few tips and tricks that I can think of off the top of my head:
    - If you are opening with cat charge for the free ravage, keep in mind that you have 10 seconds to spend the ravage, making your burst less immediate.
    - If you get your dots up and the tank suddently decides to miss every attack, consider stunning the mob with maim to buy the tank a few seconds.
    - If you're really desperate move out of melee range so you can hit 130% threat before you get aggro.
    - Survival instincts/barkskin on hotkeys.

As an aside, I've had more problems with initial aggro with my pugged pally tanks than with my warriors.

I wait about 5 seconds before jumping in. if i do that, i generally have no issue with my guild tank.
    Quote Originally Posted by Baever View Post
    Heroic modes =/= additional bosses. It's the same encounter, but cannot be steamrolled by an inbred Texan with same IQ as a roll of toilet paper.
    Quote Originally Posted by rabbimojo View Post
    And, more, I'm fairly certain there are several homosexual characters in the game - they don't need to have <Gay> under their name to make it so.
    I'm that guy who enjoys sitting their 6'5" frame in front of little kids in movie theaters.

15+ Year Old Account
    same problem here sometimes. mostly use cower and pray the tank actually knows what taunt is. there isn't much you can do otherwise between doing nothing or dps.

we just rock to much, and bosses can't handle it.
    'Something's awry.' -Duhgan 'Bel' beltayn

'A Man choses, a Slave obeys.' -Andrew Rayn

Deleted
    It's actually not the Feral Charge---->Free Ravage that's causing my problems, it's more prone to happen on other mobs when I have already spent the free ravage. It's pretty dang annoying when you can't dps your full potential >_<

Quote Originally Posted by Doonarion View Post
    Lol loved that start of the thread
    lol
    I see what you did there OP

hi im so awsum i pull thret

The tank is the one slacking or his vengeance stack isn't high enough or doesn't exist and you blow your nuts on a mob. You just need more practice with Cat to realize how to control threat.

Deleted
    seriously, cower is worth a shit.
    Such a useless spell..

Quote Originally Posted by Horseman View Post
    Such a useless spell..
    I disagree.
    I would rather have to keep cower on CD throughout the fight than have to run out of the battle and do absolutely nothing while the tank builds up threat again because I have no dump.

Don't go all out in the first 5 seconds of a fight.

Such a useless spell..
    If you expect it to do a lot at the start of the fight you are right since it is % based. 1/4 to 1/2 through the fight I can drop myself 2-3 positions on the threat table just by a few cowers.

Part of the problem is that Kitty kind of demands the use of at least minimal burst for it's open. Fairie Fire, charge, mangle, shred shred, tiger's fury, rake, free ravage, rip. If you get a few crits in the meantime you're really blowing the door off the hinges right at the start. If the fight is going to be just over 3 minutes, you're also going to want to go ahead and hit berserk on that first tiger's fury, plus trinket. I've had problems with guild tanks in heroics. They just don't take enough damage to get vengance rolling from heroic bosses. Cower helps, but especially in that first burst it's not always enough and a hard thing to judge, as someone said, hitting cower when you've only got 100k threat total isn't going to stop the pain train if your bleeds crit a few times in a row. Not sure there's a good answer. Sometimes you just have to stop and walk out of melee for a few seconds till the tank gets it under control. Anytime you pull is just going to screw him up more and cost him vengance stacking and any reactive abilities.

Such a useless spell..
    Cower used to be worth shit.

10% threat dump is more than enough to give aggro back after pulling or staying below a tank.

---------- Post added 2011-02-04 at 08:31 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Madrail View Post
    Part of the problem is that Kitty kind of demands the use of at least minimal burst for it's open. Fairie Fire, charge, mangle, shred shred, tiger's fury, rake, free ravage, rip.
    Let me fix that for you...

[wait 5 seconds], Fairie Fire, charge, mangle, shred shred, tiger's fury, rake, free ravage, rip.

There no more aggro issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Garganchewin View Post
    Bad warrior tank needs to learn his snap threat rotation.
    As a feral tank, I've noticed I tend to have a higher likelihood of accidentally pulling off of warrior tanks vs. non-warrior tanks on fights that do tank swaps. I honestly believe that it's possible that warrior threat is just a little too low compared to other tank classes -- e.g. it's a balance issue, not a bad tank issue.

Admittedly, staring at Skada when I'm not the active tank on Argaloth and playing the "How close to 100% can I get without going over" game does make the fight more interesting.
    Last edited by dewiniaid; 2011-02-04 at 08:41 PM. Reason: Surest way to ensure errors is to NOT preview first.