Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1

    shadow priest help

    I was wondering in dungeons what exactly should my rotation be....and sorry for the noobish question im new to the class. Any info or help is greatly appreciated. =]

  2. #2
    Over 9000! ElyPop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Chelmsford, Essex.
    Posts
    9,682
    Moved to the Priest forums. Check out the stickies here, they'll help you out with any queries.

  3. #3
    ok thank you i wasnt sure.

  4. #4
    wwwdotshadowpriestdotcom (replace dot with . wont let me supply a link)

    Live it, love it, learn it...

    Every spec needs a website like this one

  5. #5
    In terms of doing heroics:
    For trash in groups of 3 I recommend this: VT+SWP -> Tab -> VT+SWP -> Tab -> VT+SWP+DP+MB+MF ->Tab ->VT+MF -> Tab ->VT+MF. The fight should be close to finish by this point, if not, repeat and SWD if in execute range. This is called multi-dotting, and it should net you at least 10k+ dps. It is not important to maximize dps on trash, since they die off quickly. So things like empowered shadows, evangelism and shadow orbs doesn't really matter too much. By Tab I obviously mean change targets.
    For Bosses: Start with dots, then MF till orb, then MB to gain empowered shadows, you may refresh DP immediately after if you wish, but its not really worth to refresh VT until the first one expires. From then on just continue MF and keep up the dots. Use MB when you have at least 1 orb so you can refresh the empowered shadows. Use shadowfiend and Archangel once your rotation has been ramped up and trinkets procced. Also try to time your archangel so that you use it just after refreshing dots. Use SWD if the boss gets to execute range. Use some consumables if you are rich.

    Since you are new to the class, i'll list the acronyms i used:
    SWP: Shadow Word Pain
    VT: Vampiric Touch
    DP: Devouring Plague
    MF: Mind Flay
    MB Blast
    SWD: Shadow Word Death

    I dont need to say this but common sense dictates u dont attack the mob being cc'ed
    Last edited by zsun; 2011-02-05 at 01:43 AM.

  6. #6
    I have to disagree...
    I always start out with MB>DP>VT>MF>MB>Archangel...then fill all the gaps with MF until MB is off CD, start casting you VT about 1.5 seconds before its supposed to drop off...this is for bosses or mobs with 1.2 mill health

    On low health mobs, I MB>DP>SW:P>VT< dot up the rest of the mobs with just SW:P, go back to target mob and MB, MFx5 ticks until archangel procs...killl target, refresh dots if the mobs has 35%+ health, pop archangel and MF all the gaps in time until MB is off CD, SW: Dx2(which you should be glyphed for anyway) when the mob is below 25% health....and then mind spikex3>MB and it should be dead....pick next target and rinse and repeat....but no sense refreshing dots that wont have time to tick until the end, and thats when you switch to MS x3>MB>SW: Dx2 spamming

  7. #7
    re. starting combat with a MB: I know it's just trash mobs (and ultimately it doesn't matter) but that doesn't net you the full benefit of MB because VT isn't on the mob; you won't get any Replenishment.

    I find that there isn't so much a 'rotation' anymore, rather there's a list of priorities that you should stick to. It's mostly about constantly keeping up your DOTs and CDs.

    For me, a typical pull goes like this:

    SWP > DP > VT > MF x2 > Archangel > SWD > MB

    Start off with the two instant-cast DOTs so you have time to move into position before casting VT.
    I then MF twice just to get 5 stacks of Dark Evangelism up to pop Archangel.
    I constantly use SWD whenever it is off cooldown, to benefit from Masochism (gain 10% of your mana each time you damage yourself with SWD). If a boss is nearing execute range, I try and save my Archangel for when I can spam SWD. But regardless, by constantly using SWD and Archangel while it's off cooldown I seldom run out of mana. I think it may be a slight DPS loss to constantly use SWD when off cooldown, so feel free to just start using it if you are nearing oom.
    It's good to constantly keep Shadowfiend on CD as much as possible as well - I usually pop Shadowfiend right at the start of boss pulls for a healthy DPS boost and to give time for it so I can use it again during the boss fight.

    By the time I get to casting MB, I am guaranteed to have one Shadow Orb up, so I never worry about that.
    After casting MB, my VT is usually 3-5 seconds away from falling off, so I recast VT.
    From there I just re-apply DOTs before they fall off and use anything that's not on CD. If DOTs are all good and everything is on CD, I just MF. You shouldn't have to MF more than three times in a row if you are using everything.

    I use this pretty much on any sort of pull - manage to pull 9-10k on trash, and anywhere from 11-13k or above on bosses in Heroics. If I'm feeling lazy I'll just do a bit of the old MS>MB lol

    Pwndis, Thaurissan US (sorry, can't like my armory just yet, new member)

  8. #8
    The Lightbringer Speaknoevil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Posts
    3,394
    There is not a set rotation, it is priority and situation based.

    While learning from what other people have done, try using your spells in different situations so that you know why it's done that way.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by HeatM1ser View Post
    I have to disagree...
    I always start out with MB>DP>VT>MF>MB>Archangel...then fill all the gaps with MF until MB is off CD, start casting you VT about 1.5 seconds before its supposed to drop off...this is for bosses or mobs with 1.2 mill health

    On low health mobs, I MB>DP>SW:P>VT< dot up the rest of the mobs with just SW:P, go back to target mob and MB, MFx5 ticks until archangel procs...killl target, refresh dots if the mobs has 35%+ health, pop archangel and MF all the gaps in time until MB is off CD, SW: Dx2(which you should be glyphed for anyway) when the mob is below 25% health....and then mind spikex3>MB and it should be dead....pick next target and rinse and repeat....but no sense refreshing dots that wont have time to tick until the end, and thats when you switch to MS x3>MB>SW: Dx2 spamming
    It's replies like these that make for so many bad spriests out there.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by zsun View Post
    In terms of doing heroics:
    For trash in groups of 3 I recommend this: VT+SWP -> Tab -> VT+SWP -> Tab -> VT+SWP+DP+MB+MF ->Tab ->VT+MF -> Tab ->VT+MF. The fight should be close to finish by this point, if not, repeat and SWD if in execute range. This is called multi-dotting, and it should net you at least 10k+ dps. It is not important to maximize dps on trash, since they die off quickly. So things like empowered shadows, evangelism and shadow orbs doesn't really matter too much. By Tab I obviously mean change targets.
    For Bosses: Start with dots, then MF till orb, then MB to gain empowered shadows, you may refresh DP immediately after if you wish, but its not really worth to refresh VT until the first one expires. From then on just continue MF and keep up the dots. Use MB when you have at least 1 orb so you can refresh the empowered shadows. Use shadowfiend and Archangel once your rotation has been ramped up and trinkets procced. Also try to time your archangel so that you use it just after refreshing dots. Use SWD if the boss gets to execute range. Use some consumables if you are rich.

    Since you are new to the class, i'll list the acronyms i used:
    SWP: Shadow Word Pain
    VT: Vampiric Touch
    DP: Devouring Plague
    MF: Mind Flay
    MB Blast
    SWD: Shadow Word Death

    I dont need to say this but common sense dictates u dont attack the mob being cc'ed
    this is the post to follow really out of all of them

    really all you gotta remember can be summerised as:
    MB shud be cast on CD if you have an orb or more else wait for 1 orb
    keep dots rolling
    fill gaps with MF
    keep casting
    execute at 25% (SWDx2)((and then if its a boss, maintain priority system but using SWDx2 every time its off CD too))

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by entocheets View Post
    re. starting combat with a MB: I know it's just trash mobs (and ultimately it doesn't matter) but that doesn't net you the full benefit of MB because VT isn't on the mob; you won't get any Replenishment.
    I start out with MB to get a shadow orb up quickly because I like to pop archangel quickly on trash pulls. Boss fight would be a different rotation IMO. In boss fights I refresh my DOT's before popping archangel.

    Quote Originally Posted by spiralout View Post
    It's replies like these that make for so many bad spriests out there.
    Really? You had to troll, and only troll and not add anything useful?

    Well, in my defense, here is how I did in item level 345 gear in our Wyrmbreaker kill the other night. I've gotten a couple of heroic upgrades since then, and won the roll for the offhand that drop when we killed him....



    22k DPS was'nt that bad I thought...
    Last edited by HeatM1ser; 2011-02-06 at 03:53 PM.

  12. #12
    22k on halfus is pretty bad. He takes 150% more damage during the last phase so 22k would about about 9k dps on a standard fight. Now take into account the first phase you should be multidotting which should get you 150% damage on 3 dots rolling on halfus and 100% damage on 2 dots on 2 adds each. 351 iLvl i pulled 29k, now with 355 iLvl im pulling about 42k dps on halfus. Posting 22k on a gimmick fight isnt good, considering i can break 20k on argaloth.

    and in regards to rotation, Zsun has it down. One thing to mention is paying attention to your proc abilities. VT and DP are very high DPeT and their ticks are calculated based on when they were cast. For instance with DMC: Volcano you get a 1600 intellect proc which provides a ton of spellpower and a little bonus crit. With an addon such as powerauras you can put on a timer on this and refresh your dots as soon as it procs, and then refresh again early when it has about 3 seconds left (only need to refresh VT and DP since SW:P is recalculated with every MF tick). This will give you full dots with the added intel even after the buff falls off and these dots will last about 20 seconds which means you will need to reapply them less than 15 seconds before the next proc for 1600 more intellect.

    Using Shadowfiend BEFORE heroism is cast gives your fiend the heroism too which is a LOT of extra dps (30% extra from sfiend can be up to 4-500 dps during sfiend) plus the subsequent mana returns since he returns mana per hit.

    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...w-Priest-Guide

    That guide is very useful for starting out. Has tips on gearing and all the breakpoints plus rotation tips. If you are math junky like me, shadowpriest.com will be your best bet for figuring out how to min/max as there is some really accurate and well explained math as to what our best rotation is and why, and how to squeeze out that extra 500 dps you've been looking for.
    Last edited by schoenkid37; 2011-02-06 at 04:11 PM.

  13. #13
    as a warrie tank i pull over 20 k at halfus. lol. u are fore sure not a good spriest.

  14. #14
    OK, well it looks like the trolls are out today....my apologies for trying to help out.....maybe next time when you troll someone, you cou;d add info that might help them

    Just a friendly suggestion

    Also, I'de be interested in seeing your toons and how they are geared. Your posting all this fantastic trolling, but your trolling someone who's guild is only 1/12. Post logs of your 10-man Wyrmbreaker kills please, not 25 man.

  15. #15
    When people point out information that is inaccurate and point them to information that is accurate and helpful, I would call that providing helpful information.

    And since you're intent on seeing someone's logs: www(dot)worldoflogs(dot)com/reports/v27vu02y7cuh7tpi/sum/damageDone/?s=806&e=1053
    Have a look, and also note that Halfus was only taking 100% damage instead of 150% as we did not free one of the drakes for that kill.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by HeatM1ser View Post
    OK, well it looks like the trolls are out today....my apologies for trying to help out.....maybe next time when you troll someone, you cou;d add info that might help them

    Just a friendly suggestion

    Also, I'de be interested in seeing your toons and how they are geared. Your posting all this fantastic trolling, but your trolling someone who's guild is only 1/12. Post logs of your 10-man Wyrmbreaker kills please, not 25 man.
    Anyone disagrees with you is automatically trolling I see. When did the definition of trolling turn into correcting incorrect information?

  17. #17
    Dreadlord vazar_da_priest's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    960
    swp> dp > vt > (mf if no orbs, mb if u have atleast 1)

    Swd only when target is under 25 percent

    priority: vt >dp > swp > Mb (if 1 orb) >mf

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Fayra View Post
    When people point out information that is inaccurate and point them to information that is accurate and helpful, I would call that providing helpful information.

    And since you're intent on seeing someone's logs: www(dot)worldoflogs(dot)com/reports/v27vu02y7cuh7tpi/sum/damageDone/?s=806&e=1053
    Have a look, and also note that Halfus was only taking 100% damage instead of 150% as we did not free one of the drakes for that kill.
    I appreciate the logs....I can analyze your rotation now. We also did not free one of the drakes, so Halfus was only taking 100% damage in our attempts(2).

    Keep in mind tho, your comparing someone with an average item level of 359 + a 2-piece tier bonus to someone who had a 345 item level and no tier bonus

    Quote Originally Posted by MillorTime View Post
    Anyone disagrees with you is automatically trolling I see. When did the definition of trolling turn into correcting incorrect information?
    No, if they disagree and offer helpful advice, then I think thats good. If they simply troll, I think thats bad...please look at the replies I got before making such a silly response. I don't think I'm the best or even close to it, and I need help ,too. So, if I was wrong, then simply correct me and maybe I can learn something ,too....but to simply bash me and not offer help is trolling.
    Last edited by HeatM1ser; 2011-02-06 at 05:33 PM.

  19. #19
    High Overlord Cantofish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    113
    Quote Originally Posted by HeatM1ser View Post
    OK, well it looks like the trolls are out today....my apologies for trying to help out.....maybe next time when you troll someone, you cou;d add info that might help them

    Just a friendly suggestion

    Also, I'de be interested in seeing your toons and how they are geared. Your posting all this fantastic trolling, but your trolling someone who's guild is only 1/12. Post logs of your 10-man Wyrmbreaker kills please, not 25 man.
    Uhh hes not trolling. Hes given constructive critisizm after you claimed to be amazing with 22k dps.

    Otherwise, he was just helping the poster with some questions and dps increases!
    In order to become better, we must aim at becoming the best.

    Economics, Champion of Ulduar
    Dream the Undying
    Eternium: 10/14Heroic SoO. Recruiting an exceptional MW/Resto druid!
    Weilder of Val'anyr, Hammer of Ancient Kings.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantofish View Post
    Uhh hes not trolling. Hes given constructive critisizm after you claimed to be amazing with 22k dps.

    Otherwise, he was just helping the poster with some questions and dps increases!
    Quote Originally Posted by spiralout View Post
    It's replies like these that make for so many bad spriests out there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Holofernes View Post
    as a warrie tank i pull over 20 k at halfus. lol. u are fore sure not a good spriest.
    Your saying those two comments were'nt trolling? What helpful information did they give us with those comments?

    I didnt claim to be amazing. My word, verbatim, was "22k DPS was'nt that bad I thought..." and was prefaced with the comment that I had an average item level of 345. I still dont think 22k was bad for my gear, and Halfus only taking 100% damage
    Last edited by HeatM1ser; 2011-02-06 at 05:42 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •