There are too many rotations without any given reason. Let me explain:

SW:P = Shadow Word: Pain
    DP = Devouring Plague
    VT = Vampric Touch
    MF = Mind Flay
    AA = Arch Angel
    MB = Mind Blast
    SW = Shadow Word: Death

Firstly, my rotation on a boss is; SW:P, DP, VT, MF, MF, AA, MB -- Then whatever is to expire or comes off cooldown first in the priority of VT, MB, DP.

The reasons to start off with the instant cast dots is not that they do more damage, but because often you have to move into position to begin a fight. Secondly, SW:P dot ticks have a chance to give you a Shadow Orb. When you cast a Mind Blast with 1 - 3 Shadow Orbs, your shadow damage is increased depending on how much mastery you have.

Every time you need to move, use SW and DP to ensure you are constantly damaging the boss.

There is an addon called "FaceMelter" which advises on what should be used next. I use it as a guide, but I still use my own instinct to know what to use next. It's great if you didn't realise an ability fell off the boss. A lot of haste and Bloodlust especially can sometimes invalidate what should be cast next.

Quote Originally Posted by HeatM1ser View Post
    I start out with MB to get a shadow orb up quickly because I like to pop archangel quickly on trash pulls. Boss fight would be a different rotation IMO. In boss fights I refresh my DOT's before popping archangel.
    Ah yes, thanks for making the words "trash pulls" in red because I can't read and didn't mention it in my post.
    But anyway. I just feel like even making the effort to use archangel for trash pulls is overkill, but like I mentioned in my original post, ultimately it doesn't matter because in the end it's all about the bosses

Quote Originally Posted by entocheets View Post
    Ah yes, thanks for making the words "trash pulls" in red because I can't read and didn't mention it in my post.
    But anyway. I just feel like even making the effort to use archangel for trash pulls is overkill, but like I mentioned in my original post, ultimately it doesn't matter because in the end it's all about the bosses
    Of course boss fights is where it matters most, but I try to use archangel as often as possible--even with trash. Sometimes I get so focused on the mechanics of a fight that I worry about forgetting to use an ability as soon as I can...so I try to set a routine where forgetting to use that ability is not a concern anymore.

Oh, and I just noticed that I forgot to add SW:P to my original post
    Quote Originally Posted by HeatM1ser View Post
    I have to disagree...
    I always start out with MB>DP>VT>MF>MB>Archangel...then fill all the gaps with MF until MB is off CD, start casting you VT about 1.5 seconds before its supposed to drop off...this is for bosses or mobs with 1.2 mill health
    So I go MB>DP>SW:P>VT>MF>MB>Archangel

This may change, since hte information on my rotation came from shadowpriest.com, and I recently found out that their info is severely outdated. I installed and configured PowerAuras yesterday so I know when everything procs and when abilities come off CD...hopefully that willl help me figure out the best rotation and boost my DPS too.
    Last edited by HeatM1ser; 2011-02-07 at 04:46 PM.

Just red news sticky and you will pick up the rest by experience

No rotation, only priority.

It doesn't matter how you put your dots up, unless maybe it's like... trash...

80 Kingslayer Shadow Priest - Spirestone
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...e&n=Direshadow