Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by hankitg View Post
    We would present what is called an "Outside Context Problem" to them. Such things invariably lead to the destruction (socially, economically, spiritually) of the "contacted" persons/societies/cultures involved. A micro-culture like that should be left to develop in their own way over their own span of time.

P.S Outside Context Problem - Imagine you are a member of a tribe that has successfully cultivated the land around you to the best of your ability, you have just developed writing etc., you have enslaved, absorbed or developed truces with all your surrounding neighbours and generally you are the pinnacle of social and economical development in your understanding of "the world".
    Then a big metal ship appears on the beach one day, moving without sails, with funny men carrying long sticks telling you that you are now under the control of someone called "The Emperor" and that you have to give him gifts called "Taxes" to keep him happy. Their priests want to have a quick chat to yours about how you view "God" and "The World".
    Thus quickly changing, forever, the original culture.
    my first thought was "crap, the aliens have invaded, we must defend our planet and our culture to the end!!" then I realized this has already happened. >.>
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Some smartass reporter is going to make it "their duty" to go in there and see what they're like. These guys are going to kill the reporter for some reason or another, and some military will go in and wipe them out.

Basically, just leave them alone.

10+ Year Old Account
    i say leave them be, they represent what we really are and not what weve become.
    teh 1337

I think this can have a lot of historical significance. These guys are living "in the past", and as such their way of life may very well be thousands of years old. Can you imagine? We now have a first hand account of how people might have lived back then, and don't have to rely on fossils and such. Perhaps this could help fill in a few unanswered questions.

Also, I don't condone contact with them, but I would love to see what experts can observe from a distance.
    no u missunderstood, I lied. -despairsodelicious

Quote Originally Posted by Xleetskeetx View Post
    Because they share the planet with us, and are missing out on modern technology because people want to pull some kind of sci-fi crap where you don't make contact with primitive species.

Except they're other humans on the same planet.
    most of the world lives without modern technology. if you look at the happiness index the happiest are those with at least semi tribal lives.

ask the people kicked off deago garcia if they prefer where they are now to their basic isolated islsnd life.

10+ Year Old Account
    The line between insanity and brilliance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xleetskeetx View Post
    Because they share the planet with us, and are missing out on modern technology because people want to pull some kind of sci-fi crap where you don't make contact with primitive species.

Except they're other humans on the same planet.
    Do you remember history? When europeans first encountered North American natives and natives in South America a majority got sick. They were not accostomed to our diseases/viruses. A great many died. We should learn from our mistakes of the past so we dont repeat them.

Deleted
    Leave them be let them live how they want to now why start with a tribe in a jungle when theres the Amish for example.

Just let them be.