The 25m to 10m Difference - Holy

I have only completed 25mans in the current content. I have 2/13 HM experience and am thinking about switching to a 10man guild. As a Holy Priest, could someone give me a run down of what your usual role is? I know it won't be the same across the board, I just wanted to see what the difference was. In 25s, the job is easy - PoH/CoH/PoM and throw down lightwell. I know 10mans are more strict in the healing sense, I was just curious what the biggest difference was. Do you use heal/fheal/gheal often? Do you stay in Serenity most/all of the time? Things like that. You could just link me logs if you want as well, that would be helpful too!

Thanks in advance!

Oh and how is mana as Holy in 10s? I was told it gets rough in hardmodes, I've had no real issues in 25s.
    Last edited by ainra; 2011-02-06 at 12:43 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    As a Holy priest in 10 mans I mostly stay in Serenity, switching to Sanctuary very occasionally.
    I heal with a Holy paladin and when we use 3 healers a Resto druid or another Holy paladin, and mana is (most of the time) rather tight, but it's certainly doable.
    When going with two healers we generally don't use strict healing assignments. We heal where it is necessary.
    I haven' healed 25 man yet (besides BH) so I can't tell you any differences.
    I'll post a world of logs from one of my recent raids. I hope it is of some use.
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/a...?s=2771&e=3211
    Resurrected Holy Priest

That's actually very helpful, thank you!

We haven't started HMs yet, but currently running with 3 healers (druid/shammy or pala/shammy depending on who's online) my main job is mostly raid healing. I find myself in Sanc quite a bit, mostly keeping the ranged topped off. Unless I'm specifically assigned to a single tank I rarely use heal/fheal/gheal unless it's a tight situation and someone needs a quick/big heal.

As for mana, it can get pretty tight but if you manage your CDs effectively then you should be fine. As of right now I have the most mana out of our three healers and am usually the one with the most left after each encounter (using the JC Owl and Tyrande's Doll).

I raid 10s with a holy paladin and a resto druid. We're not into HMs yet, but I usually heal the way Ynna does. I stay in Serenity, drop Heal on the tank whenever there isn't heavy raid damage. I try to raid heal with PoH-spam only in the most intense situations. Usually a PoH on the ranged group, a CoH in melee, and then the PoH glyph/Echoes of Light/resto druid hots/yelling for Lightwell use covers the rest. This was a really hard adjustment for me, but I eliminated my mana issues on all but the most intense fights after I learned the lesson that everyone doesn't need to be topped off right away. I only switch to Sanctuary for phase 2 of Cho'gall, the red phase of Chimaeron, Magmatron, and a few other very specific instances. Serenity is definitely my go-to Chakra.

I do have a lot of mana issues on certain fights in 10 mans, but I'm not running with a resto shaman and our DPS has gotten completely crap drops since we started raiding (except our rogue--we DE about 4 pieces of agi leather a night). So our fights last a bit longer than they should be.

Like Ynna, we don't use specific healing assignments, except for the general "I'll watch tank A more, you watch tank B more."

These were all very helpful, much appreciated

thanks for the thread ainra was helpful to me since i am rerolling from my resto shaman to my holy priest

also why should we stay in serenity? crits dont give mana back at all and seems like it would only be good whenever somebody is low and u can throw a gaint 40k gheal crit on them.

Yeah i don't know what you guys are smoking but I do 10m's and am in Sanctuary 99.5% of the time. Haven't looked at your gear but I think you'll find haste alot more helpful than mastery. Mana isn't an issue when you have more room to gear yourself, but if your still progressing through normal content definitely watch your mana more closely than 25m, especially if your 25m roster included a resto shaman and your 10m does not.

I find myself almost always in Serenity - and even then I find myself out of Chakra a lot. The key is to really just know the encounters. IE. Sanctuary is only useful in P3 of Cho'gall, Fued phase Chim, etc.

Healing as Holy in 10s is almost completely different than 25s. It's much more focused on everything rather than just Poh/Coh. You have to do a lot more - help with tanks, etc. Mastery is more beneficial in 25s, and Haste is more beneficial in 10s - in my opinion from my experience.

My guild's logs: http://www.worldoflogs.com/guilds/93381/

I'm not perfect, I still forget things sometimes :P You can still learn from them, as I do both 25s and 10s.

Hope this helps. Also, I almost never have a Resto Shaman - it's very possible to do everything without one - just be mindful of your mana
    Last edited by Mazi; 2011-02-06 at 10:24 PM.
    Pixl Returned! Holy Priest

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by figgis View Post
    also why should we stay in serenity? crits dont give mana back at all and seems like it would only be good whenever somebody is low and u can throw a gaint 40k gheal crit on them.
    There no real reason not to be in Serenity. The crit is nice, since your gear will have none (preferably) and in Serenity you refresh your Renew so even if you're not tank healing you only need to cast one heal on each tank every once in a while to keep Renew up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crunkosaurus View Post
    Yeah i don't know what you guys are smoking but I do 10m's and am in Sanctuary 99.5% of the time. Haven't looked at your gear but I think you'll find haste alot more helpful than mastery.
    Most of the time there is no reason to be in Sanctuary, only on a couple of phases in a couple of fights.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynna View Post
    There no real reason not to be in Serenity. The crit is nice, since your gear will have none (preferably) and in Serenity you refresh your Renew so even if you're not tank healing you only need to cast one heal on each tank every once in a while to keep Renew up.
    Agreed. In 10mans you're gonna be required to heal the tanks far more then 25 and serenity is the best way to do that efficiently, Renew really does a ton of healing when you keep it rolling on both tanks for the whole fight.