View Poll Results: Did Blizzard Act Fairly?

Voters
18. This poll is closed
  • Yes they are being fair

5 27.78%
  • No they are being unfair

13 72.22%

Was Blizzard Fair?

I'm really curious how people think about this sort of thing, and for whatever reason what Blizzard did to this guy got under my skin.

Here's a link to a dispute that was brought to the Blizz forums.
    http://blue.mmo-champion.com/topic/1...d-name-changed

Short story is his guild name for the last 4 years was "Two Bit Horde". Blizzard responded to someone reporting him (most likely) and forced him to change guild names.

Is it FAIR that they would do this, claiming his guild name was sexual innuendo, particularly when they have quests like "just the tip", "camel tow", "the pen is mightier" and dozens of other sexual innuendos and double entendre.

Not looking for stuff like "can" they do it (of course they can), or "is it legal" for them to do it (of course it is). All I want to know is just simply:

do you think it's fair?

ps - interesting note, when the thread was originally locked, the OP had an explanation of how his name wasn't sexual in nature (bogus argument, but plausible) and further gave a handful of examples of Blizzard's double entendre. What's interesting is that it was still in his post last night. Today at some point it was removed. Very interesting if you ask me.

Why did you start yet another thread for the same exact topic?
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...bad-reputation
    to: preposition; used as a function word to indicate position, connection, extent, relation ~ too: adverb; also, very, excessively, so

Quote Originally Posted by Promark View Post
    Why did you start yet another thread for the same exact topic?
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...bad-reputation
    It's a different question related to the same action taken by Blizzard. Phrased differently, I notice there is little attention paid to the issue. But if in the OP a person takes a stand, look out... 20 pages of flames follow.

That phenomenon itself is interesting too.

15+ Year Old Account
    Omg your on my server....yeah you have had that bane for as long as I remember,it's not right.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Well now they can change it to the 8bit Horde!

15+ Year Old Account
    Jesus, you were told umpteen amount of times yesterday in the other thread that the Blue and Green were in the right. Also, it doesn't matter what your, mine, or the devils third cousin twice removed's opinion if it was fair or not. The rule is there, the rule was enforced, get over it.

Edit: Praying for mod lock.

Because Blizzard doesn't look at guilds or any names, they rely on people to report the names to them.

Blizzard even stated that you can e-mail them to see if you can resolve anything with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Evián View Post
    Jesus, you were told umpteen amount of times yesterday in the other thread that the Blue and Green were in the right. Also, it doesn't matter what your, mine, or the devils third cousin twice removed's opinion if it was fair or not. The rule is there, the rule was enforced, get over it.

Edit: Praying for mod lock.
    ok. I hear ya. Thanks.

ps - Is it ok if I don't pay taxes anymore but you pay double? Because I have some connections and I don't really like having the same rules as everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by kanzei View Post
    It's a different question related to the same action taken by Blizzard. Phrased differently, I notice there is little attention paid to the issue. But if in the OP a person takes a stand, look out... 20 pages of flames follow.

That phenomenon itself is interesting too.
    Stop making yourself out to be a martyr just because the majority of people here don't agree with you.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kanzei View Post
    I'm really curious how people think about this sort of thing, and for whatever reason what Blizzard did to this guy got under my skin.

Here's a link to a dispute that was brought to the Blizz forums.
    http://blue.mmo-champion.com/topic/1...d-name-changed

Short story is his guild name for the last 4 years was "Two Bit Horde". Blizzard responded to someone reporting him (most likely) and forced him to change guild names.

Is it FAIR that they would do this, claiming his guild name was sexual innuendo, particularly when they have quests like "just the tip", "camel tow", "the pen is mightier" and dozens of other sexual innuendos and double entendre.

Not looking for stuff like "can" they do it (of course they can), or "is it legal" for them to do it (of course it is). All I want to know is just simply:

do you think it's fair?

ps - interesting note, when the thread was originally locked, the OP had an explanation of how his name wasn't sexual in nature (bogus argument, but plausible) and further gave a handful of examples of Blizzard's double entendre. What's interesting is that it was still in his post last night. Today at some point it was removed. Very interesting if you ask me.
    It's the exact same thing that your previous thread got locked for and it's a miracle you didn't get banned for it. You've already been reported for trying this rubbish again.

You seem overly fixated on apply the same rules to different circumstances. The people who make a game are always going to be doing things than the people who play the game. It's not like the devs are coming out and saying "innuendo is terrible, nobody should ever use it". Rather, they make a rule that players and guilds are not allowed to do so. They have quality control and customer service to deal with any issues someone might have with the way THEY name things. We don't, and regardless of which, quest and NPC names are generally not going to be as omnipresent as a guild or a character name. I run into a lot of the same people and guilds, so it would be pretty hard to get away from something I found offensive if there wasn't some kind of limitation on names.

These rules have been around for a long time. If you don't know the rules when you make your character name, or your guild name, then you should, and it's no defense if you don't. Blizzard are not a bunch of players, they're the developers of the game, and by playing the game you're choosing to abide by their rules. If you think that the devs doing something you're not allowed to is a manifest injustice, I suggest staying away from MMOs, you'll find yourself sorely disappointed, and from retail stores, because I'll be those "employee only" doors would look might tempting to you.
    "Humans need fantasy to be human, to be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape." - Terry Pratchett

15+ Year Old Account
    Read our rules. Try recreating this thread again and you'll be banned.