Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    much as i want a fresh new MMO to come out and beat wow, i don't think Rift will cut it.
    Granted it's only in beta but right now:

Animations are blocky and feel as if they're missing frames,

Art style is dull and lifeless,

Sound design is boring and missing key sound effects to help in combat,

Graphics, although isn't bad at higher levels of detail on lower levels it offers NO aesthetic value, while wow does with it's cartoony look,

the global cooldown doesn't have the ability/spell queue system that wow has,

In the story there are no interesting or "badass" characters like in WoW lore,

The story it'self is pretty clumsily introduced and shoved in the background of quest text which plain makes me not care about the world around me or why i'm helping it,

quests, as a whole, take themselves WAY too seriously, in fact i came across a farm with a boar problem, and the 7 or so quests in it were the generic "save me great hero" quest plot that nowadays WoW has replaced with pop culture references and self satire,

the choices of races are limited to, virtually 4 races, which all look similier in design and structure, where are all the awesome little gnomes? where are the badass undead? where are the tauren?

In general, Rifts are more distracting then they are interactive, imagine a scenario when u're gonna play rift for 15 mins before heading off to work, and suddenly a massive rift invasion pops up and u essentially have to either be late to work or miss out on the epic drops,

There is not a single meme worthy quote or point in this game except for the legendary "you're not in azeroth anymore" joke that started all this nonsense,

if they can work more on the issues i mention, THEN Rift may actually have a chance of competing with WoW, i mean face it, people don't give a near damn about gameplay, unless it offers something incredibly different and unbroken.

15+ Year Old Account
    People don't hate Rift. They hate people who post on a WoW forum about how WoW sucks and Rift is SO much better.

Basically you cannot NOT expect people to flame you when you flame a game on its forum.

Deleted
    ''Explain how this is different from WoW or any other MMORPG. I just leveled 3 toons (80-85) starting my 4th and all I do is go from one hub to another, running back and forth from that hub to my quest area and back to hand it in, then down the road and do the same thing again''

because in my wow experience i have a flying mount (at level 60) and there are also flight paths everywhere...
    Last edited by mmoc9a285e38dd; 2011-02-07 at 12:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bofeity View Post
    Remember Aion? Lineage II? AoC? WAR?
    Oh yeah...all "WoW killers"...
    When i saw this post, i felt the need to reply.
    May i remind you LineageII was a good 2 year out before WoW. (my first MMO was LineageII which i played roughly 1,5 years until WoW came out and we all switched).
    I think those who played Lineage appreciate Aion still alot. hence all my old friends from then switched to Aion and are still playing that. i very much people coming from WoW have a hard time appreciating Aion (or Lineage - where if i remember well the last lvlfrom 74 to 75 then took you around 6 weeks if you played 24hours a day. there were only a handful at the max lvl then)

About Rift.
    Neither opinion seems good if it doesnt follow with the people reading it. if i like rift im a wow hater and otherwise im a fanboi etc.

I do however was in 2 beta events. played a warrior: champion/beastmaster/riftblade to lvl28
    i kept playing on, without really liking it, but again kept playing on. so thats 1 thing trion did good.

why i didnt like it
    The animations while fighting feels slow. i played the 2h class and it didnt look pretty
    As different from wow, when i push a button i didnt feel it reacted directly to that - not sure how to explain that well
    The rifts in beta got boring extremely fast to more of an annoyance. but there was probably also some stress testing going on with more invasions.

purely visual: the armor looked all the same or near the same. boring and not much exciting
    also visual: the weapons, for a fantasy gane they kept them realistic. the 2handers that is. imagine a big stick with a tiny blade axe on the end. if you like it, good for you. but i like it more brutal as a fantasy style (there is magic, there are rifts, there are creepy monsters, no reason to keep my blade so dull)

purely me, i like the melee powerhouse classes in every MMO. but here i feel quite weak. 2 mobs of my lvl depletes my HP completly and i all have decent gear buffs up etc

Quote Originally Posted by itsthemoops View Post
    Never played rift, and don't plan to. I haven't seen anything or read anything that would make me want to switch over to rift. The reason theres so much haters is because your trying to promote a "wowkiller" on a WOW forum..
    I don't think most people are calling Rift a "wowkiller". It's new content, for sure.. and new content is something Cata was lacking (level 81+). People are scrambling for new shit. Even if Rift was the worst game in the world, I still think there'd be this much buzz about it. Blizzard pretty much just has themselves to blame for that. I would LOVE to see their numbers hurt, just so they'll get off their asses and work to improve WoW. They just haven't had any good competition for a long time to motivate them to do better. When are they going to stop re-hashing old content? (Naxx, Ony, Ony again w/Nef, Rag in 4.1)

You either have to be a casual or an altaholic to not be completely bored out of your mind. I've turned into a raid logger, since I could care less about alts. Still, that's not to say I'm completely hating on WoW. I still love to raid with my guild. Cho'gall nearly dead, then Al'akir and Nef! Sadly, those three nights a week leave little else unless I was to just log on and run heroics or level my paladin through Deepholm. Neither of which appeal to me in the least. At least with Wrath, you had a few options for leveling. Linear storylines are great, but not if you plan to level multiple characters to 85.

Back to Rift.. it's new. The soul trees are pretty awesome. Rifts are different. There IS a story, if you'd bother to read quest text. Is it better than WoW? "Better" is a subjective term. Personally, there are things I like about WoW that Rift doesn't hit, and vice-versa. I will say that I'd be happier with WoW if they'd done more with Cata. I realize remaking the world was huge, and redoing all the old quests was a lot of work. When I was plowing through them getting Loremaster, I could certain appreciate how large of an undertaking it was. Problem was.. I expected the same amount of awesome from 80 to 85 and a HELL of a lot more 85+.

You can bitch about how Rift takes things from WoW, and they probably do. WoW took things from EverQuest and DAoC. Nothing's original, and every MMORPG is going to have "kill x" "gather y" quests. WoW made the best UI ever, so games are going to copy it. It's just how it is.

Hopefully Rift and GW2 sparks more creativity at Blizzard to improve WoW. I'd like to log into my hunter again without it being raid time and not just fly circles around Org after finishing the cooking and JC dailies.

Besides.. it's all just something to amuse myself with until Star Wars: The Old Republic comes out. :P
    There were around 7,000 Greeks in total at the Battle of Thermopylae.
    Not just the Spartans and a few inept imbeciles to play clean up.
    Friends don't let friends listen to Zach Snyder/

I have to chuckle at those getting all high and mighty at Rift "copying" WoW like Blizzard are some holy font of original ideas. I mean really? Have you people even paid the slightest bit of attention of attention to the writing of WoW? It pretty much consists of;

1) Dragons doing stuff.
    2) Demons doing stuff.
    3) Undead doing stuff.
    4) "Funny" pop culture references.

None of this is hardly new and creative.

As for the game itself, it is also amusing WoW was little more then a more refined EQ at launch. Just as Rift is pretty much a more refined WoW. It's called "progress" and it is high time someone got it right because hell knows Blizzard hasn't seemed all that interested in doing much of anything in that regard in the 6 damn years WoW has been around. Now personally I am still worried about the freedom class system gives being a problem but then again considering how crazy WoW PvP has gotten, it's not like it could do much worse. At least if something is that badly broken in Rift the devs might actually getting around to fixing it before 6 months. The same cannot be said about the Frost Mage situation in WoW. Frankly I will be giving it a try because it is simply "Not WoW" which has been little but disappointing since Cata's launch.

That said, regardless if you like or hate Rift there is something very important to keep in mind; competition is good. Blizzard has gotten unashamedly complacent with being king of the hill and Cataclysm is obvious proof of that. While Rift is unlikely going to pull WoW-levels of subscribers, having a serious rival might light a sorely needed fire under Blizzard's behind and get them actually working to satisfy the customer again.
    Last edited by Torais; 2011-02-07 at 01:03 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Torais View Post
    As for the game itself, it is also amusing WoW was little more then a more refined EQ at launch. Just as Rift is pretty much a more refined WoW.
    Except that it's not more refined.

Quote Originally Posted by Il Impiccato View Post
    tbh i see more RIFT IS GONNA DESTROY WOW posts then hating on rift posts. I'm sick of Rift already and I haven't even played it. Just all the fans of it talking about how amazing it is has me sick to my stomach thinking about it.
    This is probably where all the haters come from, people are going to rift, and need to make a giant scene about it, when they really don't need to, or have any purpose for doing so.

Rift may put up competition, but it is by no means a wow killer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Ford
    Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably why few engage in it.
    This explains a lot.

I'll play RIFT if my friends stop playing wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Nakaya_Kilrogg View Post
    I don't think most people are calling Rift a "wowkiller". It's new content, for sure.. and new content is something Cata was lacking (level 81+). People are scrambling for new shit. Even if Rift was the worst game in the world, I still think there'd be this much buzz about it. Blizzard pretty much just has themselves to blame for that. I would LOVE to see their numbers hurt, just so they'll get off their asses and work to improve WoW. They just haven't had any good competition for a long time to motivate them to do better. When are they going to stop re-hashing old content? (Naxx, Ony, Ony again w/Nef, Rag in 4.1)

You either have to be a casual or an altaholic to not be completely bored out of your mind. I've turned into a raid logger, since I could care less about alts. Still, that's not to say I'm completely hating on WoW. I still love to raid with my guild. Cho'gall nearly dead, then Al'akir and Nef! Sadly, those three nights a week leave little else unless I was to just log on and run heroics or level my paladin through Deepholm. Neither of which appeal to me in the least. At least with Wrath, you had a few options for leveling. Linear storylines are great, but not if you plan to level multiple characters to 85.

Back to Rift.. it's new. The soul trees are pretty awesome. Rifts are different. There IS a story, if you'd bother to read quest text. Is it better than WoW? "Better" is a subjective term. Personally, there are things I like about WoW that Rift doesn't hit, and vice-versa. I will say that I'd be happier with WoW if they'd done more with Cata. I realize remaking the world was huge, and redoing all the old quests was a lot of work. When I was plowing through them getting Loremaster, I could certain appreciate how large of an undertaking it was. Problem was.. I expected the same amount of awesome from 80 to 85 and a HELL of a lot more 85+.

You can bitch about how Rift takes things from WoW, and they probably do. WoW took things from EverQuest and DAoC. Nothing's original, and every MMORPG is going to have "kill x" "gather y" quests. WoW made the best UI ever, so games are going to copy it. It's just how it is.

Hopefully Rift and GW2 sparks more creativity at Blizzard to improve WoW. I'd like to log into my hunter again without it being raid time and not just fly circles around Org after finishing the cooking and JC dailies.

Besides.. it's all just something to amuse myself with until Star Wars: The Old Republic comes out. :P
    Did you lean over my shoulder when you wrote this? That pretty much sums up my exact issue with WoW and why Rift has drawn my eye (same goes for SWTOR, but not GW2)

---------- Post added 2011-02-07 at 05:04 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Noctus78 View Post
    purely visual: the armor looked all the same or near the same. boring and not much exciting
    You realise you can custom colour your own armour right? OK the dyes are pricey, but you can.

If anyone didn't mention it, Trion is made up and I think started by many of the original WoW crew that left Blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by Daerth View Post
    This. RIFT really isn't an original game at all... I've played it in beta and sure it feels nice and new for a while, but then you kind of start noticing how much they just blatantly ripped off WoW... Then again, RIFTS are just basically a revamped version of outdoor bosses, which leaves us with only the talent trees on the RIFTs side of the table.

In addition to that like the OP said, needing 30 people in your group to kill a boss which does nothing but auto attack and 1 aoe just because he has retardedly large health pool does not appeal to me.
    did you really think WoW was super original during beta or vanilla release?

you sound like the old EQ gamers when WoW was announced.[COLOR="red"]

Honestly, no one that loves wow has to worry about another game being a wow killer. Blizzard is doing a bang up job killing wow all by themselves.

I agree, what blizzard is doing to wow is making it to easy so the newbies get into it. whilst all the hardcore players get bored due to the game being to easy and not a challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by Warhooves View Post
    If anyone didn't mention it, Trion is made up and I think started by many of the original WoW crew that left Blizzard.
    100% wrong.

The majority of people that created WoW have been with Blizzard for ages, and still are employed by Blizzard.

---------- Post added 2011-02-07 at 06:04 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Corrision View Post
    I agree, what blizzard is doing to wow is making it to easy so the newbies get into it. whilst all the hardcore players get bored due to the game being to easy and not a challenge.
    Another Trion Employee. You people need to start getting IP bans. If for any reason you decide to say you're not, please provide me with your 13/13 hard mode achievements. You know, since the game is so easy.
    Last edited by glo; 2011-02-07 at 06:06 PM.

urm no im not
    Since the game is so easy, I'm eagerly awaiting your armory link showing 12/12 hard mode kills in current raid content, along with a Sinestra kill.

i quit wow 1 month ago due to game being so repetitive kill 10 enemies, kill big boss get item rince and repeat, get 85 do heroics which lose there awesome when they get nerfed to the ground because people think they are to hard.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Exodus1811 View Post
    Warcraft didn't have 'specific lore' either. Everything has to start somewhere.
    that is pretty much exactly opposite of true if you are referring to wow? they had years and years of stories prior to wow....

Deleted
    i quit wow 1 month ago due to game being so repetitive kill 10 enemies, kill big boss get item rince and repeat, get 85 do heroics which lose there awesome when they get nerfed to the ground because people think they are to hard.
    then you must be very happy with rift and the huge variety of "kill this, kill that"-quest it offers.