Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by smrtolet View Post
    Same for me. Except i don't play anymore because i don't like the game.
    I think I'd be more embarassed to frequent forums like this of a game which I don't play any more - that's incomprehensible to me.

On-topic: I don't bring it up, but I'm generally pretty private. People who know me well know I play, but people who don't know me well don't know much about me anyhow so there's nothing particular about WoW in this.

Deleted
    No shame, they got their hobbies, i got mine.

Embarrassed to tell people I play WoW? Not at all.

Embarrassed to tell people I spend ~95% of my free time sitting home by myself playing some game / looking at some internet forum about said game, not being in touch with anybody I know IRL? Yeah, a bit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Garnik View Post
    Its not like I go up to peoples faces, yelling "I PLAY WORLD OF WARCRAFT YOU GOT A PROBLEM WITH THAT BITCH?!!". If the conversation goes that way, I wont be embarrassed to say I play WoW, and if they got a problem with that they're not worth my time.
    Same here.

Deleted
    Being a girl that plays wow is actually quite hard, when you have to confess to your surroundings what you are spending your time on. So ive experienced at least.

Girls react like this: "OMG, youre such a nerd" *ignore* (yes, i am generalizing, but really, this is how 85% responded when the big secret got out)
    Boys react like this: "OMG a female nerd! totally gonna hit on her!"

For years i never told anyone that i was playing not only wow, but various other vidoegames. I was afraid of what people would think, especially my friends. But after 3 years of secretly playing wow, i figured that i might aswell tell them. I was older, i didnt care as much what people thought of me, and i figured that if my friends were going to turn their back on me because i was a "geek", then there was no reason to keep any contact with them. So, i began telling people. And yes, ALOT of people turned their back on me.

Now, a year later i tell people if they ask or if it has a point in the conversation. Im not hiding it, and ive found that the friends who are still sticking around are the best friends i ever had. Also, over the past year it seems that playing vedeogames has become more common, and so more people are playing, and the less prejudice there is. At least where i come from :P

Deleted
    I don't really talk about it much but for me I think it's less embarrassment, and more that friends either have no idea what you'd be talking about, or don't care. Occasionally you do find someone else who plays it too, at which point it's fine to talk to them.

Save WoW and game-talk for your guild. Save IRL talk for your IRL friends!

Quote Originally Posted by Hitzler View Post
    IM PROUD TO PLAY WOW, PPL THAT PLAY SPORS ARE LIKE KIDS TO ME, I MEAN THEY MAY AS WELL BE PLAYING TAG. at least wow requires some thought processes
    No I'm not embarrassed to play wow,

However i am embarrassed i post on the same forum as a guy who talks like that and is called 'Hitzler' - thats just bloody shameful -.-

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Quincey View Post
    No I'm not embarrassed to play wow,

However i am embarrassed i post on the same forum as a guy who talks like that and is called 'Hitzler' - thats just bloody shameful -.-
    I think that's probably the biggest thing for me, playing the game itself is fine, it's the community that is more likely to embarass me. Although there's far worse Internet communities, WoW is the one none gamers are likely to have heard about.

Well, my friends know I play. Sure, they sometimes call me a geek or whatever they come up with, but thats more for fun.

The thing about wow is that many people think that playing this game today means spending hours upon hours everday to make it worthwhile. When wow first came out, this was how it was. I remember how much more of a grind it was back then, how many more hours I had to be online to achive different stuff. It's not quite like that anymore. I play almost everyday, but never more than 2-3 hours max each day(probably a bit more when I start raiding). I can do my dailys, run a few dungeons with friends/guildmates, chat with others, level a alt or whatever, and it actually feels good enough for me each day. Back in the day I could spend way much more time on the game just for the little things.

What I do hate, is those people who talk down on those who play wow when themselves plays xbox 360 or ps3 several hours each day. Like one guy I know in my class who said "wow is for losers and no lifers", who also have over 60 days played on each of the Call of duty games since Modern Warfare came out. He ALSO got over 20000 gamerscore on xbox 360(its alot). I guess for some reason it's more acceptable to run around with a m4 and shoot people in the head for over 100 days playtime is more accepted to? :P

It's just a picture people have on wow - That it takes huuuge amount of time to play and have fun with to even bother playing.

15+ Year Old Account
    I think of games as books. Few years ago they had books to read but now with advanced technology we can play those books instead of reading them. I'm not ashamed of telling people that I play computer games, but WoW? I may not tell anyone that play it =)
    I've walked the realms of the dead. I have seen the infinite dark. Nothing you say. Or do. Could possibly frighten me.
    We are not monsters! We are not the mindless wretches of a ghoul army! NO! We are a force even more terrifying! We are the chill in a coward's spine! We are the instruments of an unyielding ire! WE ARE THE FORSAKEN!
    Those who do not stand with the Forsaken stand against them. And those who stand against the Forsaken will not stand long.

Quote Originally Posted by Sus View Post
    Being a girl that plays wow is actually quite hard, when you have to confess to your surroundings what you are spending your time on. So ive experienced at least.

Girls react like this: "OMG, youre such a nerd" *ignore* (yes, i am generalizing, but really, this is how 85% responded when the big secret got out)
    Boys react like this: "OMG a female nerd! totally gonna hit on her!"

For years i never told anyone that i was playing not only wow, but various other vidoegames. I was afraid of what people would think, especially my friends. But after 3 years of secretly playing wow, i figured that i might aswell tell them. I was older, i didnt care as much what people thought of me, and i figured that if my friends were going to turn their back on me because i was a "geek", then there was no reason to keep any contact with them. So, i began telling people. And yes, ALOT of people turned their back on me.

Now, a year later i tell people if they ask or if it has a point in the conversation. Im not hiding it, and ive found that the friends who are still sticking around are the best friends i ever had. Also, over the past year it seems that playing vedeogames has become more common, and so more people are playing, and the less prejudice there is. At least where i come from :P
    That sounds frustrating to you =/ Im glad it got sorted out. I really dont understand those who ignore people or get offensive against those people who play wow. It's not like other people spend they're time always on something important. Tons of people that had asked "why the hell do you play that nerd game for??", I just simply replied with a question about why they do the stuff they do(Like "Why do you spend several hours each day watching tv entertainment?" or "why do you spend hour upon hour driving in circles in your pixel car in gran turismo?" Most common answer I get is: "Well TV is not nerdy and CAR games is not nerdy"

Deleted
    Tons of people that had asked "why the hell do you play that nerd game for??", I just simply replied with a question about why they do the stuff they do(Like "Why do you spend several hours each day watching tv entertainment?" or "why do you spend hour upon hour driving in circles in your pixel car in gran turismo?" Most common answer I get is: "Well TV is not nerdy and CAR games is not nerdy"
    Its so true! Its likethis:
    Playstation = OK
    Wii = OK
    PC = OK, as long as you play SIMS or RCT or something like that xD

Its so hilarious xD They are just as much geek as we are :P

10+ Year Old Account
    I Don't deny the fact I play wow but I don't go around yelling about it too I don't really care what other people think as long as i enjoy what i'm doing.

All of my friends are nerds in one way or another, but for the most part, i dont talk about WoW with my non-WoW friends b/c a few of my non-WoW friends are Starwars elitists/fanatics and for some reason, think their obsession is 'less nerdy' than mine lol. I went out for dinner with them the other night, the Starwars nerd and his equally obsessed wife, and of course he brings up the fact that i play WoW to his other friends that tagged along (who i think mostly play halo/COD lol...). He asked me if i had to be home early so i could "raid" and i told him i would leave early only so he would have the time to organize his entire collection of shitty Starwars fan fic novels. This went back and forth for most of the dinner lol. At least his other friends had a good time laughing at the nerds.
    Last edited by SpaceCadet; 2011-02-10 at 06:07 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kanzei View Post
    Are you embarrassed to tell people you play an online role playing game? Is it worse that the game you play is WoW?

If so, let me ask you this...

If you were a multi-millionaire, would you still be embarrassed?

If not, is it WoW you're really embarrassed about?

These are pretty revealing questions, so I'll answer them for myself.
    No, I talk about it freely with people. Yes WoW is worse than other games. And yes, having money (though not millions) DOES make it easier for me. I might not be so confident if I were broke.
    Why would I be embarrassed? I have no excuse, cause if they think it is silly to play WoW, well then it their problem.

I am actually very subprised that such a large amount of people posting are not embarised by talking about the game.

However, I am very embarrised to talk about it. My co-workers didn't know I played WoW for two years until one day I started talking to the new girl who happened to play and it came up. Even then I was a little embarrised to explain what exactly the game is.

RPGs in general have that nerd stigma attached to them. When you say mmo-rpg people immediatly think of sitting in their mom's basement and downing gallons of mountain dew on Friday nights. Truth be told I play WoW a lot less then a majority of the people of own Black Ops do, however its much more socially acceptable to play CoD then WoW.

I don't talk about it outside my circle of friends, although my family is quick to joke about it when I visit. You would never know I play WoW in public because I'm also a huge sports fan and am always talking about that. But if I'm out on the town and someone mentions WoW I just keep walking the other way.

Quote Originally Posted by pak52b View Post
    and who cares about being socially active
    That's just a sad comment.

I don't play anymore, but when I did, I didn't talk about it no. Mostly because, why should I? It's not really an interesting topic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti View Post
    I never said Ret was faceroll, I said your bitching is a mirror image to that entire community's attitude. You'd fit in well over there.
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodwine77 View Post
    I'd never send death threats, because it is just a game.

However, if I ever met the guy at Blizzard responsible for murlocs ... I think I'd slug him. Just one hard punch to the face ... while yelling WHARBLGARBLGARBLGARBLGARBL!!

No matter how much money I make I would rather not let people know I play. Closet WoW-er 4 lyf

Not embarrased about it, not bragging about it. It's generally not something I want to talk about with friends that doesn't play because it's pretty complicated to explain(people generally don't care about your hobby if it takes more than a minute, unless they have an interest in your hobby from before) and will bore them, but if they ask if I do play I say that I do play.

I've got money, tho. Then again, if I was having financial problems I wouldn't play. It's fun, but lots of other things is.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't bring it up and if someone brings it up I'll talk about it. If someone tries to crack a joke about it I ignore it. Some of my friends used to try to make fun of me playing WoW they saw I first used to get irritated about it...then decided I don't give a shit if you make fun of me for it, they stopped making fun.

Now if someone tries to say something everyone just ignores them like it's a bad joke.

However, I still don't try to talk about it. Mainly because none of my other close friends/roommates play it - so they couldn't relate pretty much.