Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    I like to think of it as something like this. Skill has 150 points. Gear has 100 points. You need a combined score of 200 to be what I consider good. So you need a combination of gear and skill. You can have the best gear off ebay or wherever and get by just fine half assing things. You can also be in bear minimum to enter the heroic / raid blues and have skill and be fine. Difference is once the guys who have 150 points in skill just some tolerable gear you see them shine.
    Beauty now spawns with only two pups in Heroic difficulty. Not to worry though, the missing pup has been adopted by a wonderful, if not insane family.

I'm glad that Blizzard cares about the little things...

Deleted
    I'm standing infront of Nefarion 25 atm after some wipes. I have 350 ilevel and outdps people with 4/5 tier11. I have like 5 shitty rep epics and rest blue.

Q_Q warlocks

Deleted
    When stuff like this happens it does really highlight how bad some players are. Other night we were in SFK with a random healer that was absolutely shocking, slow reactions managing to go oom constantly etc.

For one reason or another he eventually left the grp part way through and was replaced by a guy in greens and lowish blues who told us it was his first heroic, then proceeded to possibly be the best PuG healer I've met this expansion. Which was nice.

not hard dungeons are not hard

10+ Year Old Account
    I only see the skill>gear thing matter in PvE, hence the comic linked earlier (it has pretty much always been that way). You can have someone that just bought an account (see: ebay) that has limited knowledge of how the character works, but decked with a ilvl of 355, dpsing a single-target, non-moving boss and will do worse than someone 10-15ilvls lower of the same class that knows the rotation thoroughly, watches procs n' such and will wipe the floor with the ebayer's ass.

PvP... not so much. But in this case, PvE wise, the skill>gear thing can and does seem to apply.

Very rarely do I ever come across someone with great gear that is terrible..
    Most of these stories of a geared healer,for example, that dose terrible. Come from groups that are terrible themselves(lack of CC, chain pulling big groups, standing in AOE) and people turn and blame the healer that can't keep up. Point being, there are two-sides to every story..

That's not to say these people, who are just flat out terrible, do not exist.

I myself have been in groups with people that are just, for a lack of a better word, brain dead. And blame me for it.. Oops, ya.. My bad, i can't heal you through a mechanic that is MEANT to kill you if you don't move.

As far as this so called skill<gear comparison goes. I don't know of many people who are geared, and terrible. If you've been 85 for a while, and don't have some decent gear, there is a reason for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Melonberry View Post
    Not at all. Gear > skill big time. But given similar gear levels, skill actually comes into play.

Try pvping with 0 resilience if you don't believe me.

That said, skill helps, so does luck, knowing your class, etc etc.
    Gear > Skill in PvP only.
    It's could've and would've. Not could of and would of. Not sure when "of" started meaning "have," but everyone who thinks it does needs to go back to school.