How does mastery works

Pretty simple question.

I am quite sure i read this somewhere but cant find it anymore so going to ask in here.

Is the same if you have 17.01 % mastery and 17.99 % ? Meaning you dont get any benefit before you hit 18.00 %

Deleted
    No, since Mastery is never measured in percent directly. Mastery rating (the number on your gear) gives you Mastery (just like Expertise rating gives Expertise). According to WoWpedia, at lvl 85 it takes 179.28 points of Mastery rating to get one point of Mastery. This in turn translates into your given Mastery benefit; say in my case 4% more Savage Defense per Mastery or 3.1% extra bleed damage per Mastery.

All along the way, every fraction and decimal does count, unless I have totally misunderstood the system.

As an example, I've 17.4 Mastery as tank - as in 1686 rating from gear, which gives 9.4 Mastery according to the number given above (and everyone has 8 Mastery innately, i.e. without gear etc.). This means my SD absorb is increased by 17.4 x 4% = 69,6%.
    Last edited by mmoca898f3f219; 2011-02-06 at 10:23 AM. Reason: added example

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by hunteromg View Post
    Pretty simple question.

I am quite sure i read this somewhere but cant find it anymore so going to ask in here.

Is the same if you have 17.01 % mastery and 17.99 % ? Meaning you dont get any benefit before you hit 18.00 %
    The pet system works this way. When you have 6.99% hit your pet only gets 6%.
    Other systems work normal.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Andergard View Post
    No, since Mastery is never measured in percent directly. Mastery rating (the number on your gear) gives you Mastery (just like Expertise rating gives Expertise). According to WoWpedia, at lvl 85 it takes 179.28 points of Mastery rating to get one point of Mastery. This in turn translates into your given Mastery benefit; say in my case 4% more Savage Defense per Mastery or 3.1% extra bleed damage per Mastery.

All along the way, every fraction and decimal does count, unless I have totally misunderstood the system.
    This. There are a spare couple of mechanics where it is like that, but it does count each .01 of a %
    -Retribution, the path of the protector or mender brought to it's natural conclusion; destroying evil before the weak need to be shielded from it, and before it can wound the innocent.
    Fix My DPS | Fix My Heals | Fix My Tanking |

WoW Level Scaling Feature

ok. Tyvm. must have read wrong then

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyltin View Post
    The pet system works this way.
    Didn't this change with 4.x.x so that pets feed straight off stats, thus not forcing Hunters to have a ridiculous thresholding on Hit (basically overcap Hit unless you can hit the mark on the single-rating)? Off-topic, I know, but I've seen links thrown around (which I cannot for dying find right now) to I think it was Warcraft Hunters' Union or somesuch where they mentioned pets just getting 100% of their relevant stats from the Hunter, no mention of Hit thresholding...

I could be wrong though.

As far as i know, you still need 8.02 hit for you pet to be hit caped. And that now covers expertise cap for pets iirc.

Qoute from WHU:

Pet Hit Chance

Your pet is a level 85 character just like you. It has the same miss chance as you do, and the same hit cap as you do. So increasing your pet’s chance to hit by 1% increases your pets overall dps by 1%. But how do you do this?

Any bonus hit you get from gear with hit rating on it will transfer to your pet.

Furthermore, your pet gain expertise equivalent to your hit rating. What does that mean? A typical raid boss has a 6.5% chance to dodge all melee attacks and a 14% chance to parry melee attacks from the front. By being at the hit cap, that means your pet cannot be dodged or parried (though since pets attack from behind and can’t be parried anyway, only the dodge matters).

This translates into a substantial increase in pet dps — one of the reasons increasing your hit chance by 1% will actually increase your dps by more than 1%.

http://www.warcrafthuntersunion.com/...ting-level-85/

---------- Post added 2011-02-06 at 11:56 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Andergard View Post
    Didn't this change with 4.x.x so that pets feed straight off stats, thus not forcing Hunters to have a ridiculous thresholding on Hit (basically overcap Hit unless you can hit the mark on the single-rating)? .
    This was "bugged" when hunters could spec into hit. The talent points did not work for pets.

Good question. Actually I just had a debate with a guildie about this. He did bring in various sources (EJ, etc) that confirmed his opinion: mastery grows gradually, not linearly. The tooltip also seems to support this. I am a holy paladin and I have around 10 mastery point. 8 would give me 10% shield out of heals and every point gives an additional %. When getting more mastery from 10 my tooltip stays 12% shield, all the way to 10.99. The moment I hit 11 the tooltip changes to 13% shield. This seem to support the version of my guildie.
    I tried to do some quick, simple calculations: at 10.22 mastery I healed myself for X, and I got a shield for 12.64% of that heal. That is not 12%. But it's neither 12.22% :P so I haven't got further on the way.
    At the moment I reforged my mastery so I have as close to a full point from above as possible, so it's definitely not wasted. I would suggest everyone to do the same: whatever is the right version this way you will not waste your stat.