Thread: new build help

Deleted

new build help

Ok so friday coming I will finally hit the £450 mark to build my self a new pc or well start. I no this is not a huge amount of cash and I have been looking around the threads for week or 2 now find out as much as I can about parts. and every seems to be saying the i5 2500. but as I only have a limited amount of cash it dosent seem possible for me to get 1 in my price range . but I was wondering if I could get and i52500 and the asus p8p67 mobo and the rest of the parts with out the gpu for now.

greatfull for some advise. what I got in mind so far
    Core i5 2500 3.3GHz Socket 1155 6MB £164
    Asus P8P67 Socket 1155 USB 3.0 Bluetooth 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard £118
    Corsair 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1600MHz/PC3-12800 XMS3 i5 Memory Kit CL9(9-9-9-24) 1.65V £40
    Samsung HD103SJ Spinpoint F3 1TB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 32MB Cache £40
    145450 - Samsung SH-S223 22x DVD±RW DL &am £13
    Casecom 5288 Black Mid Tower Case With Full Black Interior/Exterior - 120mm Blue LED Fan £28

that comes to £402 but ofc with out psu. If some 1 can give adivse for 1 would be great. And yes I no there is no gpu but I will get that weni get more cash.

all advise welcome

Have you put any thought into getting the 2500k? Not much more for an unlocked multiplier. Basically allows you an upgrade with some simple and stable BIOS tweaks.

The rig looks solid so far. Dont know where you are planning on buying the motherboard but there was a recall on all 1155 sockets and the sata 2 ports are prone to failing. If you buy from a reputable source you should be able to get the new version when they become available. If you get from ebay or some other source the chances are that you will have a board that has 2 functional SATA 3 ports but no functional sata 2 ports.

Deleted
    Yes I have thought about the K version but since money is tight and I have no idea how to overclock and what supa dupa heatsink I need. also for some reason all the k versions seem to be sold out.
    yes i know about the sata 2 ports and i was gonna use the sata 3 ports. all the items i got are all from ebuyers populer uk online store.

Well its up to you for the K, but i think its 17USD more, so around 12EU more? And the overclocks are actually stable with the stock heatsink, roughly a 1-1.2Ghz increase on stock cooling.

Deleted
    It can be overclocked with the standard heatsink? I allway assumed you need a new type of cooler.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by dannypoos View Post
    It can be overclocked with the standard heatsink? I allway assumed you need a new type of cooler.
    In short, no. A number of overclock benchmarks have been done on the standard stock cooler you get with the CPU. Having said that you can still do some limited overclocking with that processor you've bought and you could get a maximum of 3.8GHz running on all four cores, provided your cooler can support the temperatures the CPU gives off.

If you do plan to buy an after market cooler to overclock your CPU then i'd suggest shopping somewhere in the UK where they sell OEM 2500k's which cost about the same as a retail boxed 2500. Aria, Overclockers and Scan sell such items. I'd personally choose either Scan or Aria looking at their overall prices.

In terms of PSU's, both the XFX Pro Core 650 and Corsair TX650 come highly recommended and both perform similarly and are priced similarly as well. Prices for these units can very between £60-£70 depending on the retailer. However if you want to go cheaper, the cheapest i'd go with would probably be the Be Quiet Pure Power 530W PSU @£55. They are known for their quality PSU's, so you shouldn't worry about the brand and they have enough connectors to support GPU's that require x2 6 pin PCI-E sockets, such as the GTX460.

Quote Originally Posted by Drudgery View Post
    In short, no. A number of overclock benchmarks have been done on the standard stock cooler you get with the CPU. Having said that you can still do some limited overclocking with that processor you've bought and you could get a maximum of 3.8GHz running on all four cores, provided your cooler can support the temperatures the CPU gives off.

If you do plan to buy an after market cooler to overclock your CPU then i'd suggest shopping somewhere in the UK where they sell OEM 2500k's which cost about the same as a retail boxed 2500. Aria, Overclockers and Scan sell such items. I'd personally choose either Scan or Aria looking at their overall prices.

In terms of PSU's, both the XFX Pro Core 650 and Corsair TX650 come highly recommended and both perform similarly and are priced similarly as well. Prices for these units can very between £60-£70 depending on the retailer. However if you want to go cheaper, the cheapest i'd go with would probably be the Be Quiet Pure Power 530W PSU @£55. They are known for their quality PSU's, so you shouldn't worry about the brand and they have enough connectors to support GPU's that require x2 6 pin PCI-E sockets, such as the GTX460.
    Overclocking these limited unlocked chips relies entirely on turbo however. In the case above, the fastest your chip will run is 4.1GHz but with only one core active. If you have four cores active the fastest your chip can run is 3.8GHz. While Intel didn’t sample any limited unlocked parts, from what I’ve heard you shouldn’t have any problems hitting these multiplier limits.

- Taken from Anandtech i5/i7 review. If you overclock the 2500 much it reverts to a single core. 2500k allows for all 4 cores to be overclocked.

As an added bonus, both K-series SKUs get Intel’s HD Graphics 3000, while the non-K series SKUs are left with the lower HD Graphics 2000 GPU.

- also taken from anandtech review of i5/i7. The 11USD difference is really well worth your money to get the k series.

---------- Post added 2011-02-06 at 05:40 PM ----------

Compared to Lynnfield, you’re paying $11 more than a Core i5-760 and you’re getting around 10-45% more performance, even before you overclock. In a perfect world I’d want all chips to ship unlocked; in a less perfect world I’d want there to be no price premium for the K-series SKUs, but at the end of the day what Intel is asking for here isn’t absurd. On the bright side, it does vastly simplify Intel’s product stack when recommending to enthusiasts: just buy anything with a K at the end of it.

taken from anandtech once again. K is worth it 8)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Elgand View Post
    - also taken from anandtech review of i5/i7. The 11USD difference is really well worth your money to get the k series.

---------- Post added 2011-02-06 at 05:40 PM ----------

Compared to Lynnfield, you’re paying $11 more than a Core i5-760 and you’re getting around 10-45% more performance, even before you overclock. In a perfect world I’d want all chips to ship unlocked; in a less perfect world I’d want there to be no price premium for the K-series SKUs, but at the end of the day what Intel is asking for here isn’t absurd. On the bright side, it does vastly simplify Intel’s product stack when recommending to enthusiasts: just buy anything with a K at the end of it.

taken from anandtech once again. K is worth it 8)
    This might be the case in the US, but it's certainly not the case in the UK. For those on a tight budget the difference in these processors can range between £20-£25 ($30-$40 USD). If the OP is not interested in overclocking, paying for the £25 premium is expensive and pointless.

One thing we do agree on is our ability to read information and relay it the OP.