Deleted

Warrior tanks seems to take more damage?

Hi guys,

My main is a warrior and his offspec is prot, gear is basically all 333s or 349s (so not great) with a couple of reputation epcis. I know I'm not a fantastic tank and it just seems like my health bar is all over the place sometimes, especially with packs of mobs (on bosses it's usually more consistent). I put this down to my rubbish gear / tanking skills.

Thing is, I've been healing many Hcs/Normals on my R. Sham and H. Pala and of all classes, warrior tanks seem to be the only one where I'm playing serious whack-a-mole with healbot. Their health is constantly flying up and down, sometimes by small amounts but othertimes in large chunks. Druids, DKs and Paladins seem to take less damage, or rather take damage more predictably than the Warriors I've encountered. Couple with the self-healing abilities of these classes (no Warriors I've seen so far spec into the VR talent) it sadly makes Warriors the most stressful to heal.

Is there something to this or am I just having a bad run of luck with Warrior tanks?

If you're referring to Impending Victory - its only from 20% and down on the mobs and 50% chance to proc it.
    I would rather spend those two talent points somewhere else, like field dressing.

Maybe their spiking could be because they dont bother to use their debuffs (Thunderclap, Demoralising shout) to reduce incoming damage.
    HolgerDK Stærkodder Shocknorrís
    "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.

Deleted
    Probably bad tanks who have stacked stam and completely ignored mastery/avoidance.

Deleted
    You've seen bad Warriors. A good Protection Warrior takes the least damage of all tank classes in 5-man dungeons.

I've only tanked myself so I can't really compare warriors to other tank classes but I just can't imagine warriors being the worst for heroics. We're the tank with the most CC.
    I usually charge thunderclap, get em nicely lined up then shockwave, after shockwave shield block, interrupt + reflect something and concussion blow/disarm a mob. You avoid so much damage that way.

Pretty much what everyone else has said. If you make good use of your extensive tool kit keeping TC up along with Demo shout popping shield block on CD using your spell reflect and stuns properly you'll find you take far far less damage then most other tanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Silver
    "Now, you listen to me, James Hawkins. You got the makings of greatness in you, but you got to take the helm and chart your own course. Stick to it, no matter the squalls! And when the time comes you get the chance to really test the cut of your sails, and show what you're made of! Well, I hope I'm there, catching some of the light coming off you that day."

10+ Year Old Account
    Also..

Hot key, hot key, hot key!

After that you can start to work on your carpal tunnel syndrome.
    We are WARRIORS man! If we can't make it bleed, we will sure as hell dent the f%^ck out of it!

I play a prot warrior and paladin and heal as a shaman. Out of my worldly experience warriors are the easiest to heal. My preference for playing a warrior over a paladin for tanking is just built off of being a warrior since vanilla. Paladins have some wonderful cooldowns though. All in all, I see warriors taking way, way less damage than other tanks I have healed.

As far as health bars being like a whack-a-mole, that is DKs to me. Every DK I have healed in a heroic is a constant battle of not having to heal then suddenly having to spam heals to keep up. I find that ridiculous.

Deleted
    You met bad tanks, simple as that

The only problem I've ever encountered with a prot warrior was catching up to them with threat (playing as ret pally), but I seem to put out a lot of threat anyhow. As far as damage, prot pallys def take more, but I usually WoG to help out.
    Nowhere in the bible does it say that Jesus isn't a raptor

no way, my main is a prot paladin, paladin are the tanks that take by far the most dmg

Deleted
    Excellent, this is precisely what I wanted to hear. As for me being a mediocre tank, I just had keyhole surgery on my left wrist so playing a prot warrior can be pretty punishing at times!

Quote Originally Posted by Rapscallion84 View Post
    Excellent, this is precisely what I wanted to hear. As for me being a mediocre tank, I just had keyhole surgery on my left wrist so playing a prot warrior can be pretty punishing at times!
    AH yeah that sucks warriors are an extremely heavy hot key class the more macros/hot keyed abilities you've got the better you'll be doing.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Silver
    "Now, you listen to me, James Hawkins. You got the makings of greatness in you, but you got to take the helm and chart your own course. Stick to it, no matter the squalls! And when the time comes you get the chance to really test the cut of your sails, and show what you're made of! Well, I hope I'm there, catching some of the light coming off you that day."

Quote Originally Posted by Iyona View Post
    You've seen bad Warriors. A good Protection Warrior takes the least damage of all tank classes in 5-man dungeons.
    This was my thought as well. good warriors = great 5 man tanks. bad/mediocre warriors = terrible 5 man tanks.

---------- Post added 2011-02-07 at 02:21 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Rapscallion84 View Post
    Ouch, yeah - that must be rough. I can't imagine playing a warrior tank with out full use of all my fingers
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    If [the dps] are on the wrong target, then they are playing badly and should be corrected and / or mocked, depending on how you roll.

Quote Originally Posted by Secondbanana View Post
    The only problem I've ever encountered with a prot warrior was catching up to them with threat (playing as ret pally), but I seem to put out a lot of threat anyhow. As far as damage, prot pallys def take more, but I usually WoG to help out.
    If your catching up on threat, there is a major issue there, I do at least 9k dps in 5man, and hit 11k-12k in raids currently, if you can catch up to me in threat something is seriously wrong.

Edit- If its the first 20 seconds of the encounter with no MD's or things alike, then yes, I can see it happening, after that time frame, I dont think its very possible.

Warriors and paladins have the most capability to take large amounts of spike damage right now. We are no longer stam stacking meat shields like we were in Wrath. Mastery is our greatest stat now, and you need a significant amount of block to counter all that spike damage. I'm sitting at around 52%, and I don't notice too much of it anymore, but it still happens once in awhile.
    Answer no master, never the slave
    Carry your dreams down into the grave

10+ Year Old Account
    stack mastery, get your avoidance up, keep SB on c/d, if a caster mob keep SR on c/d, keep the interruptable mobs locked down, use your c/d's effectively (use them anticipating damage, they're more than just OH SH*T buttons), Concussion Blow and Disarm are your friends. My war takes way less damage than they just sit there and take it bear tank I have.