Deleted

using holy gear for disc spec

Since I started priest-healing a year ago, I always had a holy-pve and disc-pvp spec. You can find my current specs here:
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...barth/advanced

I'm now seriously considering changing my disc-pvp to pve, for thealing purpose. I always focussed on holy-pve gear and disc-pvp gear.

I checked the great disc guide here on the forum, and there is ofcourse a difference in the stats to focus on as holy pve vs disc pve.

Stats like haste and crit are a bit low I think for disc healing on my current gear (I focussed mainly on SPI).
    Can I use my current holy gear to start out with disc tankhealing, or is it better to first focus on getting more disc specific gear? Maybe same items as holy but reforged/gemmed differently?

I know I need to respec my disc spec, but my question is more about the gear.

Just use your Holy gear - it'll be fine. The only difference between Disc and Holy is that Disc favours Crit more than Holy does - but since both Holy and Disc like haste, just use haste instead of crit.

Deleted
    Gear seems fine (though very low mst for a holy set). You'll probably want to drop some spirit to pick up more crit if you want to optimize your disc performance though.

Deleted
    Yeah I probably reforged a bit too much mastery to spirit/haste. First weeks of the expansion I had a bit trouble on mana regen, but thats more than ok these days.

Deleted
    That's fine for disc though as mastery is somewhat lacklustre for disc - haste and crit are far better for scaling.

i have to disagree, mastery scales pritty well for disc.
    There is no right or wrong, accept dont have hit on your gear.
    If you are going from a 333/346 to 359 and you lose hate and gain mastery, do it, since you will be gaining intel / spirit boosts anyway.

I am at 18.74 mastery atm, and come patch tomorrow i think it will scale even better. especially with PoH giving divine ageis without crit.

Crit is a nice stat, dont get me wrong, but its to lack luster and un predictable. Haste and mastery are always there, and come patch you will be using PW:S alot more.

Holy and discipline share pretty much the same gear. You will do fine with both specs with the same gear. A bit of re-gemming and reforging to make yourself more optimal is really all you need. With the changes in the patch Disc mastery will be insanely good(much stronger shields) and I would definitely go that direction. It's easy for me though as I play my holy spec pretty mastery heavy anyways.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Menardi View Post
    i have to disagree, mastery scales pritty well for disc.
    Mastery only scales well on pw:s. The DA scaling is poor as it multiplies based on 30% of the value of your crit. So if you have a 30% crit rate, your mastery scales overall healing by:
    0.3 (crit rate) * 1.5 (crit bonus) * 0.3 (DA) * mastery, giving 0.135 * mastery. At 2.5% per point that still only gives 0.3375% scaling per point of mastery.
    Contrast with holy which gets 1.25% scaling per point and you can see why mastery is nothing special for disc.

Quote Originally Posted by Menardi View Post
    I am at 18.74 mastery atm, and come patch tomorrow i think it will scale even better. especially with PoH giving divine ageis without crit.
    PoH already gives DA all the time. The change for this patch is double DA on crits.
    Current mastery scaling for PoH is:
    0.3 (DA) * mastery, giving 0.75% scaling per point of mastery. While this is somewhat better than disc's normal scaling, it's still not amazing.

Crit is a nice stat, dont get me wrong, but its to lack luster and un predictable. Haste and mastery are always there, and come patch you will be using PW:S alot more.
    Crit is a great stat - not only is it a throughput boost, for no extra mana, but the more you crit the more you proc DA and the better your mastery is. Stacking mastery without crit is throwing away half the bonus of an already weak stat.

Mastery will definitely be better in 4.0.6, but I still don't think it'll be worth stacking it to the exclusion of other stats. A balanced approach still seems the better option.