Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account

Question Am I doing things right?

So ive recently taken up the reigns again on my priest (Holy) after not healing on her since the first uber changes to Disc back in Kara. Ive been trying to gear up with as little as I can outside of raids and I know there are a few upgrades I could get but honestly they just havnt dropped. Well ive also been raiding with my guilds primary grp (all normal content down), and im not sure if im having trouble or not.

On the current fight healing done meters for bosses I always end up last by about 2-2.5k .. our last nef attempt for example I was at 7.8k hps where as the other holy priest and pally are over 10k hps. What I noticed tho is that I am usually at "least" %10 below the other two healers in the Overhealing meters. Now ive always been one to cancel / conserve mana when I didnt actually need to heal, but idk if im overdoing it or my gear just lacks between the 3 of us. I usualy top off over 10k on certain trash and one or two boss fights.

Here is my armory link: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...falania/simple

Here's the other Holy priest: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...bellani/simple

So I repeat ... am I doing something wrong, something right, or am I just undergeared?
    Last edited by Okais; 2011-02-07 at 03:11 PM. Reason: Spelling

Gear will definitely be a huge factor there. The other priest greatly outgears you.

Why do you not have Twin Disciplines maxed out? That's pure throughput and you should have that over either Mental Agi, Divine Touch or Veiled Shadows (how often do you actually get to use 2x fiends?)

That's all we can really say for now - it would help if you'd post logs.
    Pixl Returned! Holy Priest

Yeah there is a massive gear difference here. You need to think of it this way. The other priest has the combination or more SP, more mastery and more mana regen. So she can cast more spells, have them be stronger than yours and have a stronger echo of light (both because the base spell was stronger and because of a higher mastery rating).

Also at under 350 item level equipped I would think that you are undergeared for end bosses at least. About 8k HPS sounds reasonable to me for that toon though. I would defintaly max out twin disciplines and body and soul instead of desperate prayer and surge of light though...

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazi View Post
    Gear will definitely be a huge factor there. The other priest greatly outgears you.

Why do you not have Twin Disciplines maxed out? That's pure throughput and you should have that over either Mental Agi, Divine Touch or Veiled Shadows (how often do you actually get to use 2x fiends?)

That's all we can really say for now - it would help if you'd post logs.
    I did have it maxed out but I got put down cause I didnt have maxed out Veiled shadows -_- The only time ive ever poped 2 shadow fiends is on Cho'gal ... poped the first one early.

@Tyle - Body and soul is extremely situational and (if im thinking of the right talant) Surge of light is a free heal every 10 secs or so, im loving it.

So what do you guys think about the overhealing meters as well? As I said im usualy between %10-15 below the other healers with only being 2-2.5k below on the HPS meters.

Far too much emphasis is placed on hps meters and total healing... its about the worst way to evaluate your healing performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Worshaka View Post
    Far too much emphasis is placed on hps meters and total healing... its about the worst way to evaluate your healing performance.
    not always. but yes, in this case, hps does not accurately depict skill.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Worshaka View Post
    Agreed. This is why I use HPS and Overhealing to measure the ability of another healer.

In some cases the people with the highest total healing or HPS are doing the wrong thing... they might be assigned to tank heal or heal a specific set of the raid yet when you look at their healing targets its 50% outside what they're asked to do. Then people start wondering why the tank died during a damage spike etc...

What role you're performing and how you integrate and compliment the other healers is what matters and the total amount of healing done is rarely going to tell you jack.

Quote Originally Posted by Okais View Post
    I did have it maxed out but I got put down cause I didnt have maxed out Veiled shadows -_- The only time ive ever poped 2 shadow fiends is on Cho'gal ... poped the first one early.

@Tyle - Body and soul is extremely situational and (if im thinking of the right talant) Surge of light is a free heal every 10 secs or so, im loving it.

So what do you guys think about the overhealing meters as well? As I said im usualy between %10-15 below the other healers with only being 2-2.5k below on the HPS meters.
    Body & Soul is amazing. It's one of our best utility spells, don't drop it! You should be using it more often - IE give it to a melee on Cho'gall adds so they can get back to boss faster, give it to the lightning rod person on Council, give it to ANYONE with any sort of debuff that requires them to move, etc....

Veiled Shadows is great in theory but not so much in practice. I plan to drop it today.
    Pixl Returned! Holy Priest

You're logged out in shadow gear, so I can't really attest to the gear difference.
    As far as your question about over healing meters, dont pay attention to them, never cared.
    If mana was never a cause for you, overhealing meters mean absolutely nothing.

You're always going to overlap heals here and there, and the only thing I can suggest to that is to have your raid frames show incoming heals.

Depending on the fight and your role though can determine your HPS differences. I'm sure there's a bit of gear level differences between you two healers, so you can expect a 1-1.5k hps difference most likely. As far as nef, you really can't afford to cancel cast a whole lot. I'd suggest worrying less on overhealing and just finding more overall ways to improve your regen while casting more in the encounter.

"Gearscore is like a bikini, what it shows is suggestive, what it hides is far more important!"