10+ Year Old Account

Enhancement stats question

Ok i'm new to playing an enhance shammy. I got all the way to 80 using ele or resto but i got bored with those 2 and now i'm having alot of fun with enhance. However i do not know the stat allocation, for instance i want to know if this is correct asuming i have enough hit . Agility>Haste>Crit>Mastery>Spell pen>Expertise.

Agility > Expertise > Haste = Crit

"Gearscore is like a bikini, what it shows is suggestive, what it hides is far more important!"

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    Once ur hit capped then expertise capped, order of what i've seen has been Agi > Mastery > Crit > haste
    this is all coming from elitist jerks though just takes a little research

Here ya go, I think this should work
    Hit (under spell cap) > Expertise (under cap) > Agility > Mastery > Crit >= Haste > Hit > Intellect = Strength > Spell Power

agil>mastery after 17% spell hit 26expertise

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Drakeor View Post
    Here ya go, I think this should work
    Hit (under spell cap) > Expertise (under cap) > Agility > Mastery > Crit >= Haste > Hit > Intellect = Strength > Spell Power
    was taken from here: elitistjerks.com/f79/t110295-enhancement_unleashing_elements_cataclysmic_discussion/

Just in case you want to take a look at the full article.

Haste was good for enhance shamans pre-4.0, now it is not. Stat weights depend on gear, but generally speaking it should go like this:

Spell hit cap > expertise cap > agility > mastery > crit > haste

With 4.0.6, these weights are going to change somewhat. With the nerf to flametongue damage and the buff to windfury, mastery isn't going to be quite as good as it was, but I believe that the stat priority will remain the same.

Also, spell penetration is only useful for PvP. Mobs don't resist spells. If you're talking about PvP, then currently the trend is to try to get hit capped versus players (4%), a decent amount of spell pen (two gems and the cloak enchant should suffice), then stack agility and mastery. Many people find it worthwhile to go for the PvP expertise softcap (20 expertise) as well. After 4.0.6, the opinion seems to be to replace mastery with crit for your secondary stat to stack. We'll see how it all plays out.

Isn't mastery still extremely viable since it affects all aspects of our dps, being windfury, ss, ft, lb, ll? I'm not too sure so I'm kind of asking. TY =)

Isn't mastery still extremely viable since it affects all aspects of our dps, being windfury, ss, ft, lb, ll? I'm not too sure so I'm kind of asking. TY =)
    It does not affect windfury, stormstrike, or white hits. However, it will still affect probably over 50% of our damage (currently on live about 65% of my sustained DPS is magic-based), so it will remain a very powerful stat.

Mastery in no way affects WF since WF is physical damage and it does not affect LL neither. Nor stormstrike.

---------- Post added 2011-02-07 at 07:27 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Memoryz View Post
    Agility > Expertise > Haste = Crit
    Why would you give Agility a higher priority then expertise? Please dont post nonsenses, thats why there is so many damn threads like this, because people are confused.

Read the stickies cmon.

I find that interesting since, WF, and SS are considered nature dmg =( sad panda, I did not know that it doesnt affect WF, SS that doesn't make sense to me at all! And to add LL I also thought was considered fire dmg! WTH does mastery help then LS, and LB LOL
    Last edited by Drakeor; 2011-02-07 at 06:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxhoundn View Post
    Mastery in no way affects WF since WF is physical damage and it does not affect LL neither. Nor stormstrike.

Why would you give Agility a higher priority then expertise? Please dont post nonsenses, thats why there is so many damn threads like this, because people are confused.

Read the stickies cmon.
    Speaking of nonsense, where do you get the idea that mastery does not affect lava lash?

---------- Post added 2011-02-07 at 10:33 AM ----------

I find that interesting since, WF, and SS are considered nature dmg =( sad panda, I did not know that it doesnt affect WF, SS that doesn't make sense to me at all! And to add LL I also thought was considered fire dmg! WTH does mastery help then LS, and LB LOL
    WF and SS are not considered nature damage. They are physical.

---------- Post added 2011-02-07 at 10:42 AM ----------

It does affect lava lash. Foxhoundn is mistaken. It also affects flametongue, flame shock, earth shock, lightning shield, and lightning bolt. All those combined end up being the majority of your damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbleem View Post
    Speaking of nonsense, where do you get the idea that mastery does not affect lava lash?

---------- Post added 2011-02-07 at 10:33 AM ----------

WF and SS are not considered nature damage. They are physical.

---------- Post added 2011-02-07 at 10:42 AM ----------

It does affect lava lash. Foxhoundn is mistaken. It also affects flametongue, flame shock, earth shock, lightning shield, and lightning bolt. All those combined end up being the majority of your damage.
    Uhhh of course it affects LL, that was my human error mistake

You need to look at 'stat capping' in the proper context: sometimes its best to NOT cap a stat so you can do the most DPS. The most clear cut example of this is Expertise. Lets say you are a hypothetical Draenei Shaman. You have 540 expertise, which is 1 expertise short of the cap. You can add a gem that adds 20 expertise, but that puts you 19 over the cap, or you could add a gem that gives you 20 mastery. Which do you do? Obviously, you do not cap your expertise and instead run at 540 and the added mastery gem.

The same principle works for spell hit to a lesser degree. Imagine you are this same hypothetical Draenei Shaman. You have 1638 hit rating. Do you add a gem that gives you 20 hit, or 20 mastery? In this case, you would also use the 20 mastery gem instead of the hit gem, simply because it gives you the most DPS benefit.

Obviously there comes a point in which you should 'waste a few stats'. What if you are 18 below the expertise cap? Its probably worth it to add a 20 expertise gem and be 2 over the cap. 2 is a lot less than 19 as I highlighted in the previous example. With hit, its a little less clear cut because hit is still beneficial past the spell hit cap. In general, I try to aim to be no less than 5 points below the cap, and no more than 15 points above it.

Perhaps a better analogy: your cap ratings is a bullseye and the process of hitting it is you firing your gun/bow/xbow/whatever. With no wind, you can line things up perfectly, and theoretically hit the bullseye 100% of the time. But what if the wind is blowing at 40 MPH (your gear has an overabundance of hit or expertise)? You need to adjust your aim to hit the target as best as possible.

In short, caps are the exact rating you want to hit. In practice, there is a little wiggle room either way.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxhoundn View Post

Read the stickies cmon.
    Cmon, really? Are you really that far behind in enhancement theorycraft? Nothing is more valuable then Agility. Not spell hit. Not expertise. Not your mom's chocolate chip cookies. Agility > every other primary or rating stat.

Mastery affects Lava Lash since Lava Lash does fire damage and our mastery affects how much fire damage we do. Also affects how much nature and frost damage we do as well. It doesn't affect stormstrike nor windfury attacks since those are physical damage and our mastery has no effect on physical damage.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    NOTE: EP VALUES DO NOT APPLY TO ALL CHARACTERS... THEY APPLY TO YOUR CURRENT GEAR AND PRIORITY SYSTEM

Now the disclaimer is out of the way, I use a WF/FT setup with agility weapons and have an average ilvl of 345... so the numbers here should be reasonably close to someone at the same gear level running the same imbue setup following the priority queue found at elitist jerks. Do I follow the below to the letter? Yes, the only thing I do contrary to the below is get as close to spell hit cap as I can even though agility is certainly weighted higher. If I'm not mistaken, wind shear needs the spell hit cap to guarantee a hit. I can't afford to miss an interrupt since God knows I'm probably the only one hitting the button.

Agi: 2.49
    AP: 1.00
    Crit: .45
    Hit: 1.48
    Exp: 0 (b/c I'm capped... I like being capped. However, there is research showing it's somewhat wasted past 19-20)
    Haste: -.01
    Mast: 1.07
    Str: 0.96 (with kings/mark it is equivalent to raw AP)

Deleted
    Just asking... why is STR less than raw AP? - i mean 1 STR gives 1 (unbuffed) AP... with kings it is 1,05 AP...

Agility is the best stat, really - 1 agility transforms into 1.05 agility (because of mail specialization) which then becomes 1,1025 agility with kings, which then becomes 2,205 unbuffed AP. Plus it gives melee crit.