Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    A system of 'balance' where footing impacted your offensive and defensive abilities. Sometimes taking a hit is worth not being thrown off balance by a desperate dodge. Sometimes a series of rapid attacks to knock an opponent prone is more valuable than a single heavy HULK SMASH! swing.

PvP with /face as a standard for targeted opponents, balanced around circle strafing and clipping not being effective tactics, especially with the above factored in. Multiple factions instead of 2 sides so PvP is more dynamic.(DaoC influence duly noted)

Group dynamics do not rely on the tank/healer/dps paradigm. Instead, all players inherently produce positive aoe effects for nearby players and negative effects for nearby enemies. States other players put NPCs in allow you to combo your own abilities regardless of if you are grouped. The emphasis on combat is in working off of the actions of NPCs and Players around you from moment to moment.
    Example:
    I come across another player fighting on a pirate ship. I engage a ranged npc shooting at him, forcing the gunshot to go wild and hitting one of the melee npcs. Both aggro on me. The other player uses a distract/taunt to turn them back on her. I sweep the melee as it runs back towards her. She uses a leap attack on the now downed opponent to close on the ranged attacker. I combo off of the attack she used to close distance with me to buff her evasion and movement speed so she can cover the ground back towards where I originally saw her. She uses a rallying buff that gives me a temporary attack power bonus I use to finish off the ranged npc before following her up the boat.

Players have individual loot drops instead of competition. Base exp is given out equally to all players who contributed sufficiently to downing an npc. Bonus exp is given for successful combos, and more for multi-player combos.

15+ Year Old Account
    Alot of "reasonably realistic" characteristics, most important to least important:
    - Friendly-fire (AoE damage affecting friends, and AoE healing affecting enemies) wherever it makes sense.
    - No silly exceptions in mechanics/skills - like when skills work different for PvP and PvE...
    - Crafting gear of the highest quality, using appropriately difficult to get materials (like drops from the same raid that gives you top quality gear, hard-mode-specific mats/recipes for hard mode gear and such)
    Why did you create a new thread? Use the search function and post in existing threads!
    Why did you necro a thread?

SWG, with better GFX's.
    http://tcgloot.freeforums.org/
    TCG Trading forum, seeing as blizzard took our old one away...

15+ Year Old Account
    I think my ideal game would happen if EVE developers made it possible to have your pilot leave his pod/ship, go down onto planets and play like a more traditional mmorpg, sci fi universe and all (running around in a well-done mmorpg in a blade-runner-esque universe is in my dreams nightly). The FPS they are tying in sounded real cool especially if the two games interacted on some level (orbital bombardment, etc.) but I'm looking for a bit more than an FPS on the ground.

I dunno. It would be the most amazing game ever to me if that happened.

Deleted
    WoW + Rift

The Best MMO could be made if you took the developers of Balder's Gate, Oblivion/ Fable, and world of warcraft, combined there perks into one game. Each of these games has it's own unique characteristic. While the first person aspect of oblivion would be cool, this is an RPG not an FPS, so I think that it would be set in a 3rd person view very similar to the way WOW is. As far as an overall theme, I think most RPGer's would agree that the "Mid-Evil Feel" would be the best time set, and that's the RPG's i normally get into. It would be very similar to the layout of oblivion and the land, the views, the whole layout of the game graphics would be refined but similarly lifelike, not like wow to where i feel like i'm controlling a cartoon character. The way your UI would be set up would be very similar to WOW, easily keybound actions that are easily useable.

Alot of people may disagree with this, but hey this is my dream MMO, not yours. It's the concept of levels that bother me. To a certain point in most games, you reach your high level, and then your left trying to kill dragons for purples, or constantly doing something in order to make your characters gear slots better. I really don't like the concept, and it kinda goes back to the point of what Exile was saying about customization. There's nothing epic about a piece of armor if every other person that plays that same class, looks exactly the same. or legenday where more then 3 people out of everyraiding guild has a legendary weopon.?!? That's not legendary, that's uncommon. The point im trying to get to is it's not about attaining a piece of gear, it should be more about the kill the experience, not about what you get. The only thing that dictates "Experience" or "the eventual developing of skills" should be done through TIME not through watching a bar go up until it runs out of space to move. The more you play a character, the older, the wiser, the stronger they get. This brings me to what Fable has done in a number of ways, but most importantly, the world and your character changes the world around you.

Imagine a game to where the time you put in, is awarded with attributes and your character actually ages. Where the community of people playing the game control the world around you. Where you can eventually become King or Queen of not just a city, but a country. and there would be several different countries. And you would have to personally convince other people on why yoour country would be the best to fight with. and you could actually have servers, that could support WARS, where everyperson involved in that war is controlled by an actual person, not 1 person doing a quest, and the rest of the army your fighting with is npc.

Another thing I feel very strongly about is death. Death has a meaning. When you DIE, should stay dead. Only past maybe a certain age to where you receive a blessing by the Gods or whatever to where you won't die but you will be reincarnated into yourself but your stats are lowered by a consderable amount. Currently in most games, it doesn't matter how many times you die, you just run back to your body. There's no downfall except for maybe durability loss. This would almost eliminate the NOOBS, or people who go into a dungeon and go afk. Unless you are in your home, yes home, you would have to be at your computer playing, as opposed to watching tv and afkn in a BG. and in my game, it would possible to purchase land, there would be votes among players for who would lead the country you lived in. You would have allies that were agreements between actual people, not two sides and no in between.

One of my favorite parts about Oblivion, and one of my least favorite parts about wow, is when you kill something. It should stay dead. If someone kills the evil dragon ogre beast (Raid Boss) each person in that raid should get one thing from that monster, and thats IT. To the looter goes the spoils, not to whoever keeps coming in and doing the same thing over and over and over will be a better player(NEVER TRUE).

I have many more ideas, but I'm getting ready to leave work!!!!!!! great thread thanks for reading my rant.

Housing like in Runes of magic.
    Champions Online character generator and custom colored powers and clothes
    Server/Realm VS Sever/Realm PVP like in neosteam
    Guild air transport like in DDO
    Something that can casualy be played with with a rich lore that you can dig deep into if you wanted or just play on face value, Like WOW
    Something that I have some freedom with talents and skills. that does not pressure me into a set build while not giving me 10000000000 options and variants.
    Weird how what I want is present in several F2P games.
    Last edited by Tastyfish; 2011-02-07 at 09:44 PM.
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

FAR more complex character development. Lots of options, and with that, the ability to make mistakes.
    More challenging and worthwhile crafting. Possibly a craft "tree" that you would need to dedicate some of your points to.
    Possibly some sort of political or truly effective economical system. (ie, slaying critters wouldn't be the only way to level up, and gold would actually be an asset to have).
    World PvP that had actual and rather serious implications / rewards. Something that would make people look forward to it rather than just avoiding it.
    No character renames.
    No alts, you get one character slot.
    As much in-game variation as possible for everything from loot to ability and talent increasing systems, so going outside the game for how-to's might be less critical.

I like a lot of the ideas, but i can't wait for SWTOR which i hope will implement a few of these things, mainly customization, immersion, combat flow, and graphics. I realize that there will still be tank fights sadly and gear probably won't be aamzing as it could be but oh well. Here goes to hoping, i just love the feel of a future world that seems old.

I just want to essentially be able to someone essentially represent me in a world with great grpahics, that is well actually a world.
    Last edited by xile; 2011-02-07 at 09:46 PM.

Lots of end game content
    Alot of customization
    Decent amount of classes
    Aion-like graphics and WoWlike non-suckiness

All credit for this sig goes to JustintimeSS

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xile View Post
    Content: I know this is on a lot of people's minds and i may get some bad shit for this but i'm honestly kind of idk bored with the whole tank healer dps roles. It's a brilliant system don't get me wrong, it works amazingly but it is so unrealistic. and i say that in the confines of what makes these games realistic in themselves. Most of what WoW or other MMOs do is within their own set realism, throwing fireballs is okay in WoW because it's a magical world. However regardless of the situation i find it hard to believe that a 100 foot tall dragon will attack someone who's calling his name (a taunt) and saying mean things, over the guy who would most likely kill him (the dps), or the person keeping everyone alive (the healer). Furthermore, the whole idea of tanking is realistically confusing to me, so... your tank gets hit by fire breath, your healer does what, heal his charred skin? He doesn't look focus from nearly being burnt to a crisp? How does the healing even remotely work, does he get a cut and then the healer just like magically seals his wounds? Like i said it's a brilliant style of play but i honestly have no clue how tanking would work in RL (if that were possible), there is nothing in my mind to support it from a lore perspective in the least. I have no clue of any alternatives and this may honestly be the best way to do it all, i'd just be more than open to new suggestions.
    If i understand you correctly you want healers and tanks removed and want every boss fight be a dps race, just nuke the boss down before he kills all 25 of you?

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Basically, an MMO set in a Fantasy like (WoW, Dragon Age, etc) or Modern age (Durr, our time) setting, which focuses on character development, choices and an ACTUAL changing world, not "herp derp look you changed the world, now wait for 2 more years for a revamp". For those who want an idea read PugGG's post, pretty short but THAT is my ideal fantasy MMO

For the modern days one... Well I guess like a mix between modern FPS and modern RPG (If any exist) games, kinda like a Sim but without the lame censoring, and making it realistic (No, Second Life doesn't count, that games sucks). I almost forgot, my dream MMO better have some god damn housing, cause I'm talking 20 years from now, so technology has to be able to support BIG game worlds, and not a 30 mile Azeroth...

And I almost forgot, the rep system should work with a good/evil/neutral system, but FFS, I don't want a heroes only game, what about us who wanna roll as another soldier in the Stormwind Army? (In WoW you are more like Special ops :P)

Quote Originally Posted by H3ll View Post
    If i understand you correctly you want healers and tanks removed and want every boss fight be a dps race, just nuke the boss down before he kills all 25 of you?
    I don't really have an alternate way to do it. I just don't see tanks being realistic in any way possible. How do you have some guy stand in fire for 10 minutes getting healed getting his body ripped to shreds, frankly even the most hardy people ever would die of emotional pain after a few minutes. Like i can see healing being almost sorta realistic in a world where people throw fireballs, but frankly deathwing isn't just going to sit there and wale on the guy calling his dad a mean name, he's going to go after the guy who's going to hurt him the most. Essentially when we fight bosses they're idiots. If they attacked our dps or healers we'd lose everytime. How am i supposed to believe these guys are big baddies when they attack the "hardest" to kill guy in the raid.
    Last edited by xile; 2011-02-07 at 09:56 PM.

Sex, drugs, and playing music like in LOTRO.

---------- Post added 2011-02-07 at 02:55 PM ----------

I don't really have an alternate way to do it. I just don't see tanks being realistic in any way possible. How do you have some guy stand in fire for 10 minutes getting healed getting his body ripped to shreds, frankly even the most hardy people ever would die of emotional pain after a few minutes.
    That's why tanks wear plate armor.
    Such feeble minds..

Deleted
    The freedom and vastness of Ultima Online, combined with the gameplay of Mount & Blade, Mortal online was a disappointing attempt at this. PVP which revolves around something more meaningful than capturing a flag, or a capture point. I want to see siege battles, crafting battering rams, siege towers, with the aim of storming a keep and occupying it for as long as possible. Instead of having factions, having open pvp, fighting over boss spawns! Protecting your crafters as they farm their materials!
    I miss getting in my boat on UO and just sailing about!
    MMOs are about the adventures! Lets hope a developer remembers this!

Quote Originally Posted by S0V3R31GN View Post
    Sex, drugs, and playing music like in LOTRO.

---------- Post added 2011-02-07 at 02:55 PM ----------

That's why tanks wear plate armor.
    Why do we have to heal them, they are actually get injured, you can wear all the plate you want but let's face it, deathwing or the lich king could rip through plate. Deathwing broke through tons of probably yards of pure earth, he can shatter almost anything plate wise, not to mention his breath is probably so hot it could melt the plate. If you get what i'm saying it's just not realistic by any means.

well wow has a lot of downfalls, but its still fun, it caters to both the casual and the hardcore, and depdning on which camp you are in, you either hate or love it. WoW has become tedius, with the same rehashed stuff over the years, gear looks crappy, and no one is unique, you feel like just a number, you are 234567 night elf priest hero, or whatever, there's no characther development, no reason why you should care of your characther lives or dies besides lining your pockets with gold or epics

i think rift has the right idea at least intially, thier problem is that they cant compete with wow straight out, they must adapt and change thier game to match what the general MMO public wants and will spend money to play, its how business works, its how video games work anymore, no matter who or how they make the games, utimately it comes down to making a profit, so its an endless stream of games that borrow things from other games in order to make people subscribe to it, if it feels comfortable and easy to get into, then they will genrally play it and since its familiar since playing wow, then they may stay

The list of the terrible things about wow can go on for an eternity, and 99% of it all has been said over the years, but despite all that, i log into wow every day, and i have fun, i do my dailies and overall i'm content, sure at times wow is tedius and boring and lame, but those rare moments when downing a first boss of a raid with your guild, or doing new content, seeing new areas, crafting that big epic item you saved all your gold for...makes it worth it, maybe not totally worth it..but to some these moments, and friends who play wow and playing together, lving alts and doing dugneons together, doing battlegrounds, are what make me log in each day

wow gets a lot of crap, but it also has a lot of strong points, and if you dont like it, dont play it, and dont diss it cuz its not better than x game, better to not say anything at all then complain or share your opinion on why wow sucks, because i still play it, and i enjoy it, but i also agree with the negatives, so just saying that we have to work with what we got, or find another game to suck all our time away like wow has for me last 6 years

in closing...wow needs aoe loot (from rift) make it happen! (that would be so sick)

10+ Year Old Account
    My dream MMO would come with a machine that lets me stop time so it doesn't feel like such a giant waste of time whenever I decide to type in /played.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't really have an alternate way to do it. I just don't see tanks being realistic in any way possible. How do you have some guy stand in fire for 10 minutes getting healed getting his body ripped to shreds, frankly even the most hardy people ever would die of emotional pain after a few minutes. Like i can see healing being almost sorta realistic in a world where people throw fireballs, but frankly deathwing isn't just going to sit there and wale on the guy calling his dad a mean name, he's going to go after the guy who's going to hurt him the most. Essentially when we fight bosses they're idiots. If they attacked our dps or healers we'd lose everytime. How am i supposed to believe these guys are big baddies when they attack the "hardest" to kill guy in the raid.
    It's not realistic, i agree, but if you really want realism lets remove all caster classes as well!