Deleted

New Computer Problems

Hiya all.

I purchased a new system today, and proceeded to put it all together, however I encountered a couple of problems when it came to booting it.
    Firstly, the system seemed to boot but I didn't get a post beep as it was booting, and the strange thing was, this was without the 4-pin motherboard connector plugged in. When I plugged it in, the system refused to boot altogether. I tested the same connector with my older PSU, and the same thing happened, it just refused to boot. After I put back in my new PSU, it booted with the 4-pin connector connected, weird.

Problem two, the system doesn't want to boot properly after this. All the case fans kick in, the GFX card kicks in properly along with the PSU etc. However, the heatsink fan connected to the 4-pin fan connector for the processor WASN'T spinning at all. I tested the fan on an older mobo and it worked. I tested a couple of spare fans and they all worked on my old mobo but not my new one. Finally, I removed the heatsink fan (Stock AMD fan) to find the processor was ice-cold and didn't seem like it was working, I figured this is why it wasn't booting.

Do I have a faulty motherboard or processor, or both?

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Edit: Specs are -

Mobo - Asus M4A87TD/USB3
    CPU - AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE
    PSU - Corsair 600W 600CX builder series
    GFX - 1GB EVGA GTX 460 Superclocked
    RAM - 4GB Corsair XMS3 Classic DDR3
    Last edited by mmoc0a21247fd3; 2011-02-08 at 03:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kygore View Post
    I tested the same connector with my older PSU, and the same thing happened, it just refused to boot. After I put back in my new PSU, it booted with the 4-pin connector connected, weird.
    I guess you forgot to put the extra power cables into graphics card first time which caused the booting problems. It's common mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by Kygore View Post
    Problem two, the system doesn't want to boot properly after this. All the case fans kick in, the GFX card kicks in properly along with the PSU etc. However, the heatsink fan connected to the 4-pin fan connector for the processor WASN'T spinning at all. I tested the fan on an older mobo and it worked. I tested a couple of spare fans and they all worked on my old mobo but not my new one. Finally, I removed the heatsink fan (Stock AMD fan) to find the processor was ice-cold and didn't seem like it was working, I figured this is why it wasn't booting.

Do I have a faulty motherboard or processor, or both?
    If the CPU fan stays totally cold, it means the CPU is not generating any heat at all, ie. not even running. Or that the heatsink is installed wrong and is not even touching the processor.

If you're 100% sure the heatsink was installed right (and the thermal grease pad is now spread on both the processor and the heatsink), most likely the CPU is dead. It could also be the mothebroard, but it's really hard to say.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    Yeah I'm sure I installed it correctly, I just find it odd how everything else works apart from the heatsink fan, which connects to the motherboard, and the processor.
    The place I bought them from requested I bring in the board, CPU and memory for testing, so I guess I'll find out soon enough after I drop them off tomorrow.

Thanks for the response