15+ Year Old Account

Discipline or Holy after patch?

Hi mate,

We're a core healing group consisting of a Holy Priest, Restoration Druid and Holy Paladin (and a OS Restoration Shaman), and we're very confused around what spec we should tell our Priest to run with after patch.

We do believe that a Discipline's damage mitigation would work very well with a Druid's healing over time and a Paladin's instant healing. But we also feel that a Holy Priest works well together with us in terms of gearing, since we can give him the spirit trinkets and get more benefit.

What do you think would be best in combination with our roster?

Do what I do - dual spec Disc and Holy.

Well I dont know where the impression is that paladins have instant healing but well move on.

Its a pretty situational question with no concrete answer. Some fights disc will be better some holy. Dual spec both.

As for spirit trinkets all healers benefit from spirit now. Its not like WOTLK where it was just for druid and priest regen.

Deleted
    You already got an excellent tank healer. You already got an excellent raid healer. So it depends on the boss. Imho, disc priest is a weaker raid healer (nerfed PoH) and a better tankS healer (Grace can stack on multiple targets) in incoming patch, so it's your decision.

Deleted
    You should let him play what spec he wants/he works better with.What is the point of changing him to disc if he doesn't play at the same scale as holy.I,myself been running holy/disc and i found that holy is more viable for the new raids except a fiew fights (see Halfus hc,smite ftw).
    My group is running with me,a holy paladin and sometimes a OS resto shammy so i'm pretty close to your combination.
    I'm a smite priest (disc spec) and i don't use so much dmg mitigation(suppression pain,divine aegis procs,inspiration proc-holy tree) and rarely and PW:S on tanks or on someone that i about to die.Spamming PW:S doesn't work anymore.
    Having lightwell and super cool aoe healing i would sugest that your priest remains holy.

Best regards,
    Sunny

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by iLive View Post
    Hi mate,

... we should tell our Priest to run with after patch.
    Don't wanna be rude or something, but I wouldn't run with a spec my guild or raid would force me to play or GTFO. If it's ok for your priest to spec the way you want him to, instead of the spec which is most fun for him, then I don't care.

The rule of thumb is (IMHO), that a holypriest emphasizes more on raidhealing with mediocre spothealing, while a discpriest emphasizes more on spot- and tankhealing with mediocre raidhealing. In terms of gear, a discpriest scales much better with INT (due to the nature of Rapture and the scaling of shields) and has less trouble with mana then a holypriest. And he's got some nice CDs (Pain Suppression and Power Word: Barrier). But when it comes down to raidhealing, holypriests simply rock and with Chakra, they can adapt to every situation.

If I were you, I wouldn't base the decision which spec he should play on which trinkets you can give him, but on what would be best for successful raiding.

Or what's most fun for him, but that's another story

I hope this helps a little.

Happy raiding,

Mushussu

Deleted
    I think nobody forces him to play one spec or the other. The 3 healers are just thinking and debating what's the best choice for their raid, working as a team. Considering Pala and Druid have only 1 healing spec, they must decide what priest spec suits them better. I find it normal.

Deleted
    "we're very confused around what spec we should tell our Priest to run with after patch." suggests forcing to me, i agree with others let him play what he likes

Quote Originally Posted by Mushussu View Post
    Don't wanna be rude or something, but I wouldn't run with a spec my guild or raid would force me to play or GTFO. If it's ok for your priest to spec the way you want him to, instead of the spec which is most fun for him, then I don't care.

99% of apps ask " if needed, would you be willing to play another spec for the guild?"

With the changed to grace and the nerfing of PoH(but the subsequent buffing CoH) Disc is a strong raid healer now. Disc will be better for some fights and holy will be strong for others. I run 10's with the same healing combo and i've been holy, I'm considering changing to disc on more fights now after the changes

Bring the player, not the class.

Unless you're going for 12/12 heroic at this time in Cata.

Quote Originally Posted by Nesco View Post
    Bring the player, not the class.

Unless you're going for 12/12 heroic at this time in Cata.
    Why would you stop at 12?

And iLive, I expected more of you.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mayzy View Post
    Well I dont know where the impression is that paladins have instant healing but well move on.
    It's a veru rough picture. Don't take it literally, but it's well known that Paladins doesn't mitigate damage like a DPriest or heal over time like a Druid.

As for spirit trinkets all healers benefit from spirit now. Its not like WOTLK where it was just for druid and priest regen.
    I know, but a Holy Priest benefits more, and hence the reason we think it would benefit the raid more.

I think nobody forces him to play one spec or the other. The 3 healers are just thinking and debating what's the best choice for their raid, working as a team. Considering Pala and Druid have only 1 healing spec, they must decide what priest spec suits them better. I find it normal.
    Exactly.

"we're very confused around what spec we should tell our Priest to run with after patch." suggests forcing to me, i agree with others let him play what he likes
    He is definitly himself interested in playing what's best for the raid. We're a team (know the word, guild?).

99% of apps ask " if needed, would you be willing to play another spec for
    the guild?"
    Including ours.

And iLive, I expected more of you.
    Come on Kelesti. You know it's hard to formulate yourself on a smartphone, and what I really wanted to know is where you guys believe Disc and Holy will be after patch, and what YOU believe would generally be prefered in combination with a RDruid and HPaladin. WotLK it was definitly situational, but since Cataclysm I believe Blizzard made it possible to use both specs for almost any encounter (at least those I've encountered), if you don't use Smite as Discipline.

BTW, Tron is a bad movie.

Honestly, it depends on the fight, but I'd say a discipline priest better suits your group comp. Disc Priests and Resto druids synergize really well and the priest should be able to make great use of pre shielding, PoH Divine aegis, and external cooldowns such as power word barrier.
    But we also feel that a Holy Priest works well together with us in terms of gearing, since we can give him the spirit trinkets and get more benefit.
    Also this statement is flawed. Int is every healers best stat.

"Gearscore is like a bikini, what it shows is suggestive, what it hides is far more important!"

15+ Year Old Account
    You're probably right.

Int is every healers best stat.
    Yes, but a HPriest can use spirit trinkets better than HPaladin or RDruid so we make use of spirit trinket instead of DE'ing them. :P

Quote Originally Posted by iLive View Post
    but since Cataclysm I believe Blizzard made it possible to use both specs for almost any encounter (at least those I've encountered), if you don't use Smite as Discipline.
    Ayup. Pretty much.
    BTW, Tron is a bad movie.
    Nope.
    Yes, but a HPriest can use spirit trinkets better than HPaladin or RDruid so we make use of spirit trinket instead of DE'ing them. :P
    Or you could look at it the other way, we gain more regen per point of Spirit, so we actually need less of it to have the same effect as say a Shaman or a Paladin.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti View Post
    Or you could look at it the other way, we gain more regen per point of Spirit, so we actually need less of it to have the same effect as say a Shaman or a Paladin.
    Add to this that in the case of shamans the stacked buff from Jar of Ancient Remedies does count towards their spirit for purposes of calculating the benefit of MTT (if what the poster in another thread said is correct), meaning it should go to them first and foremost unless it's a substantially stronger upgrade elsewhere.

Edit: OMG I'm a brewmaster! Where's my complimentary stein??
    Last edited by Bigslick; 2011-02-09 at 02:45 AM.

Im currently one of these priests who raid as holy or disc, chosing which spec for what fight I find it needed. In the raids we have avaible atm I run Disc in BWD on Magmaw, Maloriak and Nefarian. Holy on the others. In BoT I run as Holy. Four Winds I also run holy. Personal Preferance is what I would call it. It is what Im most comfortable with on each fight. Let your priest decide which spec he is the most comfortable with.

But if you want him to stay in 1 spec, I would say Disc. It's getting buffed, its quite awsome, and you have a restodruid already.

15+ Year Old Account
    @Kelesti
    Ahh come on. Didn't you also expect more? :P

And all healing classes has a form of getting mana. Druids get some times from Rejuvenation/Lifebloom. Shamans from their totem and Water Shield. Paladins save mana by using WoG/LoD and using Judgement. Discipline from shields, and Holy from increased spirit. You might need less spirit to gain as much mana as us, but then you're only looking upon spirit as a regeneration stat.

Quote Originally Posted by ilive
    but since Cataclysm I believe Blizzard made it possible to use both specs for almost any encounter (at least those I've encountered), if you don't use Smite as Discipline.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti View Post
    Ayup. Pretty much.
    Actually, using smite as discipline was the best way to go for most fights prepatch, I know because I had #1 on most of the fights as discipline.

also,
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...?s=1807&e=2256

whats up kelesti its been too long
    Last edited by TiduZ; 2011-02-09 at 10:38 AM.
    {broken signature}