Thread: Halfus Changes

Halfus Changes

Don't remember seeing this in any of the previous patch notes.

The Bastion of Twilight
    Halfus Wyrmbreaker
    Shadow Nova is now cast less frequently in 10-player modes to account for fewer available interrupts there.
    The captured drakes in this encounter now apply Dragon's Vengeance when they are killed instead of when they are freed. To account for this change, the health and damage of the drakes has been reduced, and the damage bonus gained from Dragon's Vengeance has been increased.

Depending on the damage output and health of the drakes it may now be viable to use a normal raid group on this encounter in heroic mode. Does anyone see the need to bring disc priests anymore? I wonder what the debuff will be after you kill one as it says its been increased....hrmmmmm

I approve of these changes... Removes the importance of disc priests. Or of doing funky things involving extra tanks, extra healers, and leaving dragons up which I think was never truly intended.

With these changes likely means that most standard comps with 2 tanks and 3 healers on 10 man and 3 tanks 6 ish healers on 25 are likely going to work.

They weren't in any previous notes like you noticed.

I'm thinking there's still no reason to release and kill the slate dragon. Unless of course the health changes to the drakes makes it viable. Well that and how much they hit for. I can imagine releasing all of them to get the halfus stun as well if the changes were that significant to health/dmg done by drakes.

Deleted
    That'll change this weeks Halfus from midly annoying to faceroll I'd guess.

Looks like Wowhead already has the updated values, as I seem to recall the drakes having 6 million health before. They are now at 4 million, with the dragon's vengeance debuff giving a 100% increased damage on Halfus (on death, of course, so leaving them up isn't that good an idea).

But yes, 2 tanks 3 healers on 10 mans now seems a lot more viable, with maybe just releasing 3 drakes.

Doesn't this mean that shadow novas will get off until nether dies? And Ms stacks will stack fast until the one dragon that increases melée speed is dead? Or am I misinterpreting it?

Is it only the damage component or is it what happens to halfus?

As soon as the dragons are released they debuff Halfus. Once they are dead, they apply Dragon's Vengeance, which increases damage taken by Halfus. As long as the dragons are attackable, Halfus' abilities will be affected.

Quote Originally Posted by brandox View Post
    As soon as the dragons are released they debuff Halfus. Once they are dead, they apply Dragon's Vengeance, which increases damage taken by Halfus. As long as the dragons are attackable, Halfus' abilities will be affected.
    Just clarifying. If he didn't get debuffed until the drakes were dead that would make halfus exponetionally harder lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Horace View Post
    But yes, 2 tanks 3 healers on 10 mans now seems a lot more viable, with maybe just releasing 3 drakes.
    I thought that was the standard setup? Or are you talking about heroic?

Quote Originally Posted by Geekbustarz View Post
    On heroic things are a little funky. On 25 man people have been doing it with like 3-4 tanks 7-8 healers with 2-3 disc priest and using strats where you basically release all the drakes but kill almost none of em. On 10 man it was the same idea (heroic) cept that on top of wanting a disc priest really badly, you would want Paladins (both tank or healer) to clear the debuff from the Maintank while release either 4 or all 5 drakes (again killing almost none of em).

They never intended for players to really leave any released drakes up, but because of the mechanics it was heavily encouraged.

Where did you read this? Haven't seen it among patch notes.

Not sure how I feel about these changes if they are in fact official (I can has source?)

It's going to be a little more annoying early in the fight with the Dragon's Vengeance change, since one of our key strats on that fight was to release two drakes and pull all three mobs together to allow splash damage to kill Halfus off a little faster while he had 100% additional damage taken.

Do we know how much more damage will be on the DV debuff with this change?
    Enforce proper spelling and grammar!

Quote Originally Posted by Radalek View Post
    Where did you read this? Haven't seen it among patch notes.
    http://blue.mmo-champion.com/topic/1...official-notes

---------- Post added 2011-02-08 at 05:22 PM ----------

I'm hoping the fight isn't an extreme pushover now. We spent quite a bit of time learning it on 10man and were getting into phase2, just needed the interrupters to be on their game and we would have had our kill. Would suck for it to be a faceroll now :-/

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by EllipsisGH View Post
    Not sure how I feel about these changes if they are in fact official (I can has source?)

It's going to be a little more annoying early in the fight with the Dragon's Vengeance change, since one of our key strats on that fight was to release two drakes and pull all three mobs together to allow splash damage to kill Halfus off a little faster while he had 100% additional damage taken.

Well in theory the adds will go down a lot faster now if you're grouping up so you'll be on the boss faster.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Essentia@Cho'gall of Inebriated Raiding.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ssentia/simple
    http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/Tharkkun-1222

does fix the issues with 10 hc abit though ig uess

Quote Originally Posted by EllipsisGH View Post

As pr. the Wowhead update, 100% pr. drake up to 500% with all five KILLED on heroic.

Quote Originally Posted by Geekbustarz View Post
    Yeah, I was on about heroic mode, sorry

Our last kill was a 2/3/5 comp. It was our fastest and easiest kill yet. The only issue with Halfus was that most guilds were still wearing heroic blues. A raid in full epics should've never had any real problems going with 2/3/5.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

Quote Originally Posted by kuku2 View Post
    Our last kill was a 2/3/5 comp. It was our fastest and easiest kill yet. The only issue with Halfus was that most guilds were still wearing heroic blues. A raid in full epics should've never had any real problems going with 2/3/5.
    It was possible, no doubt, but encouraged you to fall back to things like paladin bops on tanks, interupts with an Enh shammie, or disc priest, and required much more gear than the 25 man version.

So this should even out things, but it will turn the fight into more of a gear check.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chiznitz View Post
    I'm thinking there's still no reason to release and kill the slate dragon. Unless of course the health changes to the drakes makes it viable. Well that and how much they hit for. I can imagine releasing all of them to get the halfus stun as well if the changes were that significant to health/dmg done by drakes.
    We've released it every single week its been up. The damage buff and stuns on Halfus are nice, and frankly it takes no time flat to burn it down anyway.. now it'll drop even faster.

Quote Originally Posted by chiznitz View Post
    EDIT: I CAN'T STRESS enough that this is super duper simplified. Cleave is a fairly huge factor in the calculation, but since it more or less works both ways it's a little hard to come up with exact figure.

Would have to do some math...
    So basically you have Halfus Health = X
    Boss dies when he hits Zero, but whenever you release a drake, that drakes health gets added to the pool.

So you end up with an Inequality that's "something"
    1/5X =? 1/6 X + Y where Y is the health of the slate dragon.

This is overly simplified, but if 1/5 X is greater... than it should always be beneficial to release the drake.

Even if it wasn't or at least was very close, you would gain from the fact that the boss will periodically miss some of his Furious roars, and you can maximize the damage at the end with a well timed lust.

Worth noting that while on heroic mode, the math is very fuzzy, on normal mode because of the difference between 200% damage and 300% damage is much greater than between 400 and 500, you should always release and kill all 3 drakes on normal mode now.
    Last edited by Captaincrab; 2011-02-08 at 07:28 PM.