Thread: Ret Cooldowns

Ret Cooldowns

Haven't really seen this anywhere, what do you guys do within the first ~20-30 seconds of a boss fight as far as CDs.?

I have my own way of using my CDs but I am not sure if it's the best way to do it. I currently judge to get in range then begin building holy power. At 3 I hit INQ then immediately follow with AW, Guardian, HoW and continue with my priority. I think I am supposed to be using Zeal during AW but I just recently read this so haven't started doing this.

I only raid about 8 hours a week and we just started 3 or 4 weeks ago so I'm trying to get my CDs set since it just feels awkward to manage all of them. Thanks for your input.
    Last edited by Veigas; 2011-02-08 at 07:05 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well...your first three holy power should be for an Inquisition at least, other than that, you could also pop zealotry or avenging wrath with it, but do not use Zeal or AW at the same time, and remember to keep Inquisition up always.
    Exorcising Undead in the name of the Silver Hand!
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...homerun/simple

Judge>GoAK>(fillers till 3 hp)>zealotry>inquistion>AW

While I haven't read any theorycrafting on using zeal with AW, I don't think your supposed to use them together....

Zeal makes your CS give 3 HP instead of 1.
    AW has you use HoW....

The two don't seem to go together very well....if used together, you're either not using CS on cd which means you're not getting as many TV's in as you should. or you're not using HoW on cd, meaning....

Quote Originally Posted by Veriu View Post
    While I haven't read any theorycrafting on using zeal with AW, I don't think your supposed to use them together....

Zeal makes your CS give 3 HP instead of 1.
    AW has you use HoW....

The two don't seem to go together very well....if used together, you're either not using CS on cd which means you're not getting as many TV's in as you should. or you're not using HoW on cd, meaning....
    This is how I feel as well but I always follow EJ and it says it is better to use them together so I guess I should change the way I do things?

Maximum benefit appears derived by using AW and Zealotry together. The HoW and any Exo procs "lose" some TV over the course of the buffs, but the overall damage is superior from the combination.

Pre-pot and judge running in, pop GoAK so it's strength bonus can build up, at 3hp pop Zeal, AW, hit Hammer to max it's useage, then Inq. Remember, Zeal doesn't consume your HP so you can hit it before Inq. Enjoy your beautiful #'s while they last.

From EJ:
    Maximum benefit appears derived by using AW and Zealotry together. The HoW and any Exo procs "lose" some TV over the course of the buffs, but the overall damage is superior from the combination.

Quote Originally Posted by Xerif View Post
    This is exactly what I do (when I actually think about what I'm doing).

Win7(64)Pro - Intel 3770K @ 4.5GHz - 4x4GB DDR3 G Skill Ripjaws X - XFX Radeon HD 7970 - Samsung EVO 500GB SSD

The reasoning behind not using Avenging Wrath and Zealotry at the same time is because the clashing of the rotation I believe. When you use zealotry you focus on spamming TV's and keeping inquisition up, and when you Avenging Wrath you are focused on spamming Hammer of Wrath and keeping inquisition up. With any exo's in between. If you used them at the same time you may miss out on the full throughput of the cooldown. So if you use them one after the other you can sustain the most damage for longer. Something like that anyway :P

Quote Originally Posted by slinx View Post
    The reasoning behind not using Avenging Wrath and Zealotry at the same time is because the clashing of the rotation I believe. When you use zealotry you focus on spamming TV's and keeping inquisition up, and when you Avenging Wrath you are focused on spamming Hammer of Wrath and keeping inquisition up. With any exo's in between. If you used them at the same time you may miss out on the full throughput of the cooldown. So if you use them one after the other you can sustain the most damage for longer. Something like that anyway :P
    That is what "they" thought initially but "they" have since changed their minds. If you go read the front page of the EJ Retribution Concordance you'll see that they now suggest using both simultaneously.

Win7(64)Pro - Intel 3770K @ 4.5GHz - 4x4GB DDR3 G Skill Ripjaws X - XFX Radeon HD 7970 - Samsung EVO 500GB SSD

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    It makes sense, to be honest. You can only get in three, possibly four if luck/cooldowns favour you, Hammer of Wraths during Avenging Wrath anyway; considering that Templar's Verdict will be our highest priority ability, you're much better off having 30% increased damage during Zealotry (where you're hitting a high number of Templar's Verdicts) and hitting your three Hammer of Wraths during the gaps caused by Crusader Strike cooldown than separating the two out. The exception may be during Heroism, where you have a low enough cooldown on Crusader Strike to do CS -> TV spam for the entire duration.

As far as using my cooldowns goes, right now I put up Inquisition, use Guardian, then get to three Holy Power (preferably Guardian will have been up for about 7-8 seconds at this point), use Avenging Wrath and Zealotry, Hammer of Wrath, Templar's Verdict, etc. That's going to change a bit tomorrow when Europe gets the patch.

Quote Originally Posted by Cardolan View Post
    As far as using my cooldowns goes, right now I put up Inquisition, use Guardian, then get to three Holy Power (preferably Guardian will have been up for about 7-8 seconds at this point), use Avenging Wrath and Zealotry, Hammer of Wrath, Templar's Verdict, etc. That's going to change a bit tomorrow when Europe gets the patch.
    OP is asking about the the first bit of the fight, there's no popping inq first in that case good sir

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sykes View Post
    OP is asking about the the first bit of the fight, there's no popping inq first in that case good sir
    I assumed it was obvious that I'm using the first three Holy Power of the fight to put up Inquisition, then doing what I described.

Quote Originally Posted by Xerif View Post
    This is correct.

And boy if you thought our threat was bad before....

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Make sure to pre-pot Golemblood on the pull then:

Judge, GAnK, 3HP Zeal, Inq, AW/Trinkets/Tinkers, Hammer of Wrath, etc...

Edit: BDF had this covered long long ago...

These buffs are completely amazing...
    http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-a7pacy9xyha4jf04/
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...inrad/advanced

ok so Zealotry was comsuming my HP when I hit a dummy last night, am I missing something here?

(I probably used it on a DP proc...will have to check again after work today)
    Last edited by Veigas; 2011-02-09 at 01:29 PM.