Page 1 of 32
1
2
3
11
... LastLast
  1. #1

    Disc + mastery = shield spam dominant again

    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...?s=6073&e=6645

    Looks like Tiduz completely dominated using PWS for over 80% (including glyph). He is geared for mastery all the way though and the mana requirements should be sky high but any good guild would just pump innervates into their disc priests if they can achieve these kind of numbers.

    Considering how well he was already doing before the patch I was pretty certain we would see numbers like this. This is obviously a consequence of mastery scaling faster for disc than holy (since only 2 things benefit from it) and then using the one spell that has the most benefit from it.

  2. #2
    This wasn't a secret.

    PS: He recieved 2 innervates.

  3. #3
    The fact is that those constant raid AOEs in Magmaw fight help to fully utilize the absorbs of the shields. It would less effective in less-aoe-intensive fights, say Maloriak. Not saying shield spamming is bad, only that it depends on situations.

    BTW, 282k mana regen from rupture is amazing.

  4. #4
    Brewmaster Mazi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    1,439
    Quote Originally Posted by nsevit View Post
    The fact is that those constant raid AOEs in Magmaw fight help to fully utilize the absorbs of the shields. It would less effective in less-aoe-intensive fights, say Maloriak. Not saying shield spamming is bad, only that it depends on situations.

    BTW, 282k mana regen from rupture is amazing.
    Doesn't work on Maloriak? Really? lol http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...?s=7581&e=8134

  5. #5
    The Patient Memoryz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    259
    Quote Originally Posted by Tavin View Post
    This wasn't a secret.

    PS: He recieved 2 innervates.
    For an epic 28k mana.
    Woooo...


    "Gearscore is like a bikini, what it shows is suggestive, what it hides is far more important!"

  6. #6
    It would also seem they have two mana tides.

  7. #7
    Blizzard could implement a system where you can only use a certain number of shields in a time space.For instance , 5 shields every 20s. That would stop shield spam and keep disc a good tank healer.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Balladar View Post
    Blizzard could implement a system where you can only use a certain number of shields in a time space.For instance , 5 shields every 20s. That would stop shield spam and keep disc a good tank healer.
    What? no....
    Thats a terrible idea. If your mana can support it and the fight warrants it, shield spamming is a great technique.

    Shadow Priest Main
    Originally Posted by Zarhym
    Your post is so drenched in frustration and sarcasm that it's really ruining my salad.

  9. #9
    Maloriak and Magmaw, two fights that have long periods of very minimal raid damage followed by peroids of heavy, ticking raid damage.

    Two MTTs.

    100% superfluous.

    Raid HPS last week for H. Maloriak: 73083.2
    Riad HPS this week for H. Maloriak: 69187.7

    Tiduz HPS last week for H. Maloriak: 13654.0
    Tiduz HPS this week for H. Maloriak: 16578.2

    Their Holy priest?

    Asurez HPS last week for H. Maloriak: 11393.5
    Asurez HPS this week for H. Maloriak: 8329.2

    They also had two deaths this week, as opposed to one last week.

    =================================

    Conclusion? Cuties Only healed less overall raid damage and Tiduz increased his HPS at the cost of all other healers in the raid. If I were consulting them I would suggest they drop one of their shaman, as they clearly have an overabundance of healing, but unfortunately his or her MTT is required to prop up Tiduz.

  10. #10
    Fluffy Kitten Ultima's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    3,198
    A possible 2 Innervates, Hymn of Hopes, Mana Tides and God knows what.

    Can I have that, please?

    --

    edit: Buff up-time

    Borrowed Time 268 476.5 83.2 % #

    Fucking lol.
    Last edited by Ultima; 2011-02-09 at 08:02 PM.
    I heal in the Arena
    Retired Moderator - Priest and PvP
    You can follow me @UltimaMMO_C

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultima View Post
    A possible 2 Innervates, Hymn of Hopes, Mana Tides and God knows what.

    Can I have that, please?

    --

    edit: Buff up-time

    Borrowed Time 268 476.5 83.2 % #

    Fucking lol.
    Unfortunately, it isn't just Tiduz doing this now. Most upper-echelon guilds are carrying at least 2 MTTs to prop up the mana pools of other healers. Because of this, it seems like PW:S spam is fuckin' yet again not only max HPS, but also sustainable given a certain level of external regen.

  12. #12
    Limit the number of Shields that can be active at the same time. Disc is in a good place now , when it comes to tank healig, a nerf to shields would ruin it.

  13. #13
    Fluffy Kitten Ultima's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    3,198
    Quote Originally Posted by [-Spiritus-] View Post
    Unfortunately, it isn't just Tiduz doing this now. Most upper-echelon guilds are carrying at least 2 MTTs to prop up the mana pools of other healers. Because of this, it seems like PW:S spam is fuckin' yet again not only max HPS, but also sustainable given a certain level of external regen.
    Then something bad is going to happen. I pray that this will not fuck over PvP and that it won't cripple Discipline in 10 man raids where this blatant abuse cannot happen.
    I heal in the Arena
    Retired Moderator - Priest and PvP
    You can follow me @UltimaMMO_C

  14. #14
    or else they could simply change MTT (which is still the problem here since it affects everyone regardless of their current mana level) and make it behave like Hymn of Hope (but a better version) like :
    Restores 2% total mana to 10 nearby low mana friendly party or raid targets every 2 sec for 10 sec.

    even with 2 MTT, that's only 20% mana every 3mn, and it'll require the priest to be of those who are the lowest in mana to benefit from it each time, which would then mean he probably wont' be able to spam pw: s for that long.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by sacrypheyes View Post
    or else they could simply change MTT (which is still the problem here since it affects everyone regardless of their current mana level) and make it behave like Hymn of Hope (but a better version) like :
    Restores 2% total mana to 10 nearby low mana friendly party or raid targets every 2 sec for 10 sec.

    even with 2 MTT, that's only 20% mana every 3mn, and it'll require the priest to be of those who are the lowest in mana to benefit from it each time, which would then mean he probably wont' be able to spam pw: s for that long.
    One of those innervates was from our feral MT which gave me like 3k mana, also I didnt get innervates on all of the fights and I never got innervates from our resto druid. There was no "lets support tiduz wooo go team" attitude, if anything I think it was the opposite, I had to beg our boomkin to get the odd innervate out of him and our resto druid with innervate glyph was innervating a shadow priest buddy instead of me.
    {broken signature}

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by TiduZ View Post
    One of those innervates was from our feral MT which gave me like 3k mana, also I didnt get innervates on all of the fights and I never got innervates from our resto druid. There was no "lets support tiduz wooo go team" attitude, if anything I think it was the opposite, I had to beg our boomkin to get the odd innervate out of him and our resto druid with innervate glyph was innervating a shadow priest buddy instead of me.
    Yeah, I'm not saying in your case it was innervate. In your case the sustainability comes from x2 MTTs.

    At any rate, the point is this style of play is horribly dull and should not ever be sustainable by design. The developers have stated that they never wish this style of play to resume, but unfortunately it is now, again, max HPS for disc. While only those with high gear levels can currently sustain it with help from high external regen, come T12 we'll see it as standard across the board. What ever is the root cause of the sustainability needs to be fixed.

  17. #17
    Limiting shield casting by a max # per time period would just be a bad idea, somewhat defeating the point of soul warding. If this becomes an issue Blizzard wants to address and make a less attractive option, a more reasonable solution would be to apply a debuff similar to that applied to mages upon casting arcane blast, where PW:S has a base cost but applied a 4 second debuff which stacks 4 times that increases the mana cost of additional PW:S casts while active (but without the extra throughput provided by AB -- though that could be an interesting mechanic too). Chaining 2-3 shields wouldn't destroy your mana in such a system, but attempting to spam it WotLK style would be infeasible even with a wealth of innervates and MTTs.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigslick View Post
    Limiting shield casting by a max # per time period would just be a bad idea, somewhat defeating the point of soul warding. If this becomes an issue Blizzard wants to address and make a less attractive option, a more reasonable solution would be to apply a debuff similar to that applied to mages upon casting arcane blast, where PW:S has a base cost but applied a 4 second debuff which stacks 4 times that increases the mana cost of additional PW:S casts while active (but without the extra throughput provided by AB -- though that could be an interesting mechanic too). Chaining 2-3 shields wouldn't destroy your mana in such a system, but attempting to spam it WotLK style would be infeasible even with a wealth of innervates and MTTs.
    That is a far more elegant solution than what I though of [link SW to AA]. I approve.

  19. #19
    I could see Bliz giving PW:S a higher mana cost...people forget PW:S is one of discs main selling points...if its not very useful (like it was before) the whole idea of an absorption healing spec is ruined and you might as well play holy. I think this buff was on the right track, for I don't see holy switching to disc just because of the "shields r gewd" scenario.

    That being said I play disc for a 10 man guild, this buff was totally needed, and i don't see myself spending much time shield spamming, --just because you can abuse it in 25man doesn't hold true to 10 man as well.

  20. #20
    I agree - if shields are not the defining feature of Disc, then what's the point of having a different spec than holy?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •