Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Heroic Magmaw Bone constructs running faster

The patch notes state that the adds that Nefarian spawns in the heroic Magmaw encounter does not leave a trail of
    fire after them anymore, but this apparently means that the adds arnt moving forward like snails and are 100% unkiteable.

Start planning a different way to down this one!

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    The entire point of th encounter is to kill the adds. Has it never crossed your mind that there is no enrage on this?
    Gear Score is a good representation of skill, enchants, and gems...NOH! WAI-....

Quote Originally Posted by Fireslave View Post
    The entire point of th encounter is to kill the adds. Has it never crossed your mind that there is no enrage on this?
    Did you watch any 25 heroic video of this ? NO ONE killed adds. How can you define the "point" of an encounter when no one does it the way you say ?

But, yes. With this fix, its now about killing the adds (less HP, no more fire).

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Went from being impossible on 10 man to very hard but doable. I'll take it.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alianthos View Post
    Did you watch any 25 heroic video of this ? NO ONE killed adds. How can you define the "point" of an encounter when no one does it the way you say ?

But, yes. With this fix, its now about killing the adds (less HP, no more fire).
    The intention of blizz was to kill the adds while kiting them, not to kite them out the room and into Omnotrons room.
    Gear Score is a good representation of skill, enchants, and gems...NOH! WAI-....

Quote Originally Posted by Fireslave View Post
    The intention of blizz was to kill the adds while kiting them, not to kite them out the room and into Omnotrons room.
    A raid setup usually consists of 7 healers, 2 tanks which leaves room for 16 DPS. Since a new add spawned every 25s or
    so, it needed pretty much 12 casters that constantly tunnel visioned the add so 4 melees were supposed to get a
    164 million HP boss down to 25%.

That isnt really realistic, especially with assgear.
    Last edited by Strafir; 2011-02-09 at 06:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Strafir View Post
    A raid setup usually consists of 7 healers, 2 tanks which leaves room for 16 DPS. Since a new add spawned every 25s or so, it needed pretty much 12
    casters that constantly tunnel visioned the add so 4 melees were supposed to get a 164 million HP boss down to 25%.

Heroic modes are supposed to push you to your limits and stack your highest dps.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Strafir View Post
    If there is "assgear", then perhaps do more normals before doing HMs?

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiry View Post
    I don't think you could reliably kill both skeletons and Magmaw with their old hitpoint values, in currently available gear - especially 359. And seeing how both boss and add hitpoints were nerfed, Blizzard realized this as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiry View Post
    That isnt really how fast or even semi fast progressive raiding works. You find a logical way to do
    something, and practice it.

The boss strat has changed guys. It's on par with the difficulty it used to have, but really, all it is now is a giant DPS check. Have a tank pick them up and tank them next to your melee, have all your DPS switch and burn it, at 15%~ they do a cast that will wipe your raid if it goes off, you need to kill them before this cast goes off. You'll usually have 2 up going into rodeo with a 3rd spawning during rodeo, make sure only 2 are up coming out of rodeo and burn the boss as much as possible. Your goal is to never have more than 2 on the tank and leave him with 2 going into p2 at the end.

This was a needed change because of 10m. 10m will see a huge challenge with this fight but it's not nearly impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by xxAkirhaxx View Post
    The boss strat has changed guys. It's on par with the difficulty it used to have, but really, all it is now is a giant DPS check. Have a tank pick them up and tank them next to your melee, have all your DPS switch and burn it, at 15%~ they do a cast that will wipe your raid if it goes off, you need to kill them before this cast goes off. You'll usually have 2 up going into rodeo with a 3rd spawning during rodeo, make sure only 2 are up coming out of rodeo and burn the boss as much as possible. Your goal is to never have more than 2 on the tank and leave him with 2 going into p2 at the end.

This was a needed change because of 10m. 10m will see a huge challenge with this fight but it's not nearly impossible.
    Does he continue to do parasites? meaning your dps will be split between add and parasites?

Deleted
    You are supposed to kite the parasites, we do it with a frost DK.

Quote Originally Posted by chiznitz View Post
    Does he continue to do parasites? meaning your dps will be split between add and parasites?
    I would imagine, I'll try tonight nd find out

Quote Originally Posted by Paskgotsheal View Post
    I would imagine, I'll try tonight nd find out
    Personally I dont really care about the 10man atmosphere, but from a 25man point of view I can
    safely say that the fight is a lot more enjoyable now than it was before. I highly doubt that guilds
    that were able to kill him before will lack the coordination to do this now.

We have a Frost DK kite them. Like another poster said. Also I don't have enough experience to know if kiting them is viable in 10m. Hopefully it is because this fight would be considerably more difficult if you have to have a tank for the parasites in 10m. Hopefully in 10 a ranged can keep agro and kite them while putting in DPS on the adds that spawn.

I don't think it was ever intended that you kite them but due to the way things were with regarding to add HP and the speed they moved, kiting was easy and effective way to deal with Magmaw heroic. Now that they've nerfed the add and boss HP's it's kind of obvious what blizzard is aiming for with the encounter.

the fight actually became a lot easier. sure, you have to kill the adds, but both magmaw and the skeletons had their hp reduced significantly. also, the extensive setup for reliably kiting the adds isnt needed anymore. we had a very smooth kill after two or three tries.
    on a side note, clearing through bwd was pretty disappointing yesterday. every single hc boss was majorly nerfed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xxAkirhaxx View Post
    This.

And yes, there will be small adds on top of it. But our DK tank takes care of those and kites them around. They'll die eventually. We haven't managed to repeat our Magmaw kill last night. Last week we had our first kill with the Omnotron-kite-strat. As that doesn't work anymore, we had to adjust to the new strat of tanking the skeletons in the melees etc.

20% or so was our best try. But then again, we had only brought 6 healers. I think a 7th that we'll bring tonight for further attempts (and likely the re-kill) will alleviate much of the pressure. Mana is extremely strained. And we have 2 tides even... well, horribly nerfed tides that we boost with all the procs that are possible. It's kind of funny to be asked "mana tide, pleeeeease?" and then to reply "hang on, heartsong should be proccing again any moment!!"

After doing heroic 10man Magmaw after the 4.0.6. patch, we found it to be relatively easy, and after NEVER trying heroic version before the patch, we were able to take only 9 attempts to down this fight.

We had one tank on Magmaw (didn't switch, even with mangle), one tank on Constructs (used a feral since savage defense is OP against cleave) and a frost DK kiting parasites. A fire mage helped the DK kill the parasites. We used three healers and two melee (the frost DK was one, rogue was another). When the tank got picked up, the rogue and one healer jumped up to do chains. By then, the latest round of parasites should have been dead, so the DK could help finish off the add. If an add was alive going into the 2x damage phase, we quickly killed it then went to Magmaw's head. The next add that spawned (one spawns when the head is exposed) was off-tanked until Magmaw went back to normal.

At 28%, his head came down again, and that's when we used Time Warp and took him down to 7% by the time he came back up (we ignored the add) and we finished it off, easy-peasy.

Side-note, when the tank gets picked up to be mangled, he can start DPSing the exposed head.

The fire that spawns when the constructs are animated moves, too, so be careful. You might be safe one second, and then the next you're standing in fire. I noticed it seemed to go away if you ran away from it, but if you were close, it would try to engulf you. That may or may not be accurate.
    Last edited by Karnadas; 2011-02-10 at 09:30 AM.