Thread: Mac Pro

10+ Year Old Account

Mac Pro

I have the chioce to either get a mac pro 12 - core with either 4 512GB SSD's or just 4 1 TB drives. Money is not an issue which should I take?
    You may be smarter than me but I inherited a multi-million dollar enterprise.

Unless you need 4TB of disc space, the SSD option is better, no questions asked. Both options are rather stupid though, and there's around $10k price difference between them.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    As I said. Price is not an issue...$10K? pennies in a bucket. I just wanted to know which would be the better choice to take and since I don't need 4TB or disk space I guess its SSD time.
    You may be smarter than me but I inherited a multi-million dollar enterprise.

I swear i just read i want to catch a bag of 100 dollar bills on fire.

Don't buy a mac. If money is no issue, get an expensive ass PC.

Deleted
    Get one SSD (for applications) and 3 HDDs (for data).

Or 2 SSDs and 2 HDDs...

I have just ordered a similar machine for the new institute

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Buy the minimum drive configuration for your Mac Pro, and the buy better SSDs yourself. As far as I know, the SSDs that ship with Mac Pros are either Samsungs or Toshibas... You want SandForce or Crucial/Marvell based drives.

10+ Year Old Account
    personally i would get something crazy like one of ocztechnologies HSDL SSD or any of there pci express SSD
    those things all cost insane $$$ and really scream

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kidsafe View Post
    Buy the minimum drive configuration for your Mac Pro, and the buy better SSDs yourself.
    This.

The SSDs included with Apple's systems are roughly 1-2 years of age - their performance is antiquated (low read/write bandwidth, low cache, generally low IOPS - even for the time), and their garbage collection algorithms are outdated, and have lower reliability and endurance compared to proper solutions (especially Intel on those two).

The hard drives are unremarkable as well - nothing but the standard sort you can buy from any online retailer for cheaps.

Keep in mind that the hard drives do not require any special firmware to operate on Macintosh based machines. Sandforce and Intel drives are commonly installed by the customer in Macbook pros for example.
    Last edited by mmoca371db5304; 2011-02-10 at 12:29 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    A fool and his money are soon parted.
    red panda red panda red panda!

15+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, this thread's going nowhere. Time for a lock.