Looking for effective decently priced video card to replace the one I currently have.

I've had my pc for around 2 years I think. I'm just looking to upgrade the video card as I believe it's time for one. I'm not looking to spend alot just need to get one with at least 1gb and that will play wow pretty decently...and maybe rift or SWtOR when it's released.

Hopefully we can keep it under 200$....hoping for closer to 150.

Currently I'm running a geforce 9800gtx. I have no problem switching to an ati card though, because my Mobo only supports xfire not sli.

GTX460 probably best card in that price segment.

But since your computer is few years old, it's very likely there are other aged parts in it that are also slowing you down, and just switching the graphics card will not really help.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    GTX460 probably best card in that price segment.

But since your computer is few years old, it's very likely there are other aged parts in it that are also slowing you down, and just switching the graphics card will not really help.
    what he said, I was running a pc a few years old, but it was a prebuild hp with a 9800 gtx+ quad core Q8200 with 8 gigs of ram, I just recently bought a P67 chipset and a I5 2500k cpu, and my performance more than doubled in WoW going from 40-60 fps on low settings to 50-60 playing on high with some modifications as well as being able to fraps with no issues.

major issue someone informed with the 9800gtx+ is the fact that is not DX11 compatible, but I play WoW and have been playing the rift beta with no problems at all.

I agree with the above posters what they have stated. However if you are set on just upgrading the video card here is my recommendation. I use two of these in SLI and have my settings for WoW set to Ultra and everything runs smooth. Really good price and EVGA has great customer service and warranties, not to mention you really can't go wrong with Newegg.

EVGA 01G-P3-1452-TR GeForce GTS 450 (Fermi) Superclocked 1GB 128-bit GDDR5
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130573

ATI Radeon HD 6850 for $175, which with rebate goes down to $159.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814161348

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kiurys View Post
    ATI Radeon HD 6850 for $175, which with rebate goes down to $159.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814161348
    I'm not the OP obviously, but I'm intrigued by this card. Specs state 500w PSU or better recommended. Any thoughts on how a 650w would handle it?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by calmsea View Post
    Any thoughts on how a 650w would handle it?
    Easily.

In actuality, most 500W recommended systems won't drain more than ~300W from the socket.

I'm not the OP obviously, but I'm intrigued by this card. Specs state 500w PSU or better recommended. Any thoughts on how a 650w would handle it?
    If they're recommending a 500w PSU then you can be assured that 500w will handle it. If you're running two in crossfire with three hard drives and a viciously over-clocked processor then you'll need the 650w. Obviously your PSU will be at least bronze rated.

should be fine tbh. unless its an unbranded 650w which you should stay away from normally. like darkxale said its unlikely to draw more than about 300w its just they rate it like this in order to account for the processor etc that will be running along side. then add 10% headroom and youre good to go

That recommended 500w is way overkill so you could easily run even 2 in crossfire.

*casts Revive*

HD6850 uses about 150W of power at full GPU load. A 300W PSU could handle it with room to spare.

Quote Originally Posted by Cantii View Post
    *casts Revive*

HD6850 uses about 150W of power at full GPU load. A 300W PSU could handle it with room to spare.
    Except that room to spare vanishes on AMD setup, or if you try to overclock CPU.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantii View Post
    *casts Revive*

A 300W PSU would be unlikely to have enough amperage over the +12v rail for any modern gaming GPU.

I never said an entire computer, I merely stated a 300W PSU could power an HD6850 =P