Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Deleted
    WoW invented Looking for Dungeon
    WoW invented Cross Realms
    WoW is innovative cause they do things that the others mmo cant do... Like the awesome gameplay, the awesome non tank and spank and 2h PVE fights, cause they dont work only ingame like the other, you have blizzcones and stuff and much much things...

Quote Originally Posted by galdaran View Post
    I've seen so many people bashing rift for being a wow clone i want to know what has wow invented and not taken from other games.

Chat system - taken from everquest (even the same colours if i remember correctly)
    Achievements - taken from Lotro
    instanced dungeons - maybe, not sure if they were in everquest first
    tradeskills - just about every mmorpg ever
    classes - nothing new, all been in other games

any ideas?
    Instanced dungeons first appeared in Anarchy Online.

10+ Year Old Account
    It is not about creation, it's about execution. You can copy something if you're going to improve it.
    I don't see anything in Rift that's better than WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hraklea View Post
    It is not about creation, it's about execution. You can copy something if you're going to improve it.
    I don't see anything in Rift that's better than WoW.
    You're implying that RIFT is a copy of WoW, but how so? Just because it's an MMO, doesn't mean it's a copy.

The only thing I'm seeing that could be argued as "copied" from WoW is the UI and chat box. Since those are so simple to begin with, there's very little wiggle room to modify. As I've stated before, MMO UIs were a mess until WoW came along to clean them up, which was bound to happen.

I'm not a fan of cartoon-like graphics, so RIFT's graphics are a plus for me. It's also the little things I enjoy, such as the little arrow at your character's feet showing the direction of your target.

RIFT and WoW both borrow from other games and stories.

10+ Year Old Account
    Tried Rift beta, Nice graphics, very nice character creation, etc but it looks like just like WoW (yes, wow is a copy of everyother mmo,whatever) So Rift doesn't have any bugs and is polished but it's not like WoW bugs out every second or so... IMO people will go to Rift, play it cos' it's shiny new and get back to WoW simply because Rift = wow but with better graphics.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Razorice View Post
    Tried Rift beta, Nice graphics, very nice character creation, etc but it looks like just like WoW (yes, wow is a copy of everyother mmo,whatever) So Rift doesn't have any bugs and is polished but it's not like WoW bugs out every second or so... IMO people will go to Rift, play it cos' it's shiny new and get back to WoW simply because Rift = wow but with better graphics.
    It's a copy of WoW, but WoW is a copy of other MMOs, thus RIFT can't be borrowing off other MMOs, only WoW?

Wait, what?

10+ Year Old Account
    You're implying that RIFT is a copy of WoW, but how so? Just because it's an MMO, doesn't mean it's a copy.
    I know ^^.

My point is: copying is not a problem if you'll make it better. Copy is fail if you'll not get it better.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hraklea View Post
    I know ^^.

My point is: copying is not a problem if you'll make it better. Copy is fail if you'll not get it better.
    The problem is "better" is a matter of personal opinion. I do feel they've made improvements over what they borrowed from WoW's UI look. I don't need an addon to be able to move everything around. You also have more bars to rotate through than WoW.

Deleted
    I would say the whole addon / interface system. most other games have static UIs that really annoy me, whereas addons in wow really can do so many things

proper 3d character control that 'feels' right. not many games, even new ones achieve this.

fairly decent raid system (not enough content is my only gripe) im sure other games had raids first, but all the ones i played had world bosses instead, which was fun in itself, but the raid system in wow was a great improvement on what came before (from my limited experience )

Deleted
    Wow might not be 100% original but something they must be doing right and its not ripping off other games cuz otherwise those games would also have some success which they have 0.

tbh all ppl defending wow saying its imba and "yay i am leet skilled" are just retards.
    all ppl defending rift saying wow sucks just kill yourself then cuz you wasted your life playing wow and you are posting in a wow forum so i guess you are looking for some bashing.

Also I ahve played EVERY single payed and non payed MMO around (i have not much else to do xD) and theres no best MMO, because they all are diferent.

EVE is great and community beats wow community, but wow is much more engaging and lorewise is probably the most polished.
    (and dont bullshit me with warhammer story cuz i dont see warhammer having such an engaging way to explore their lore).

RIFT? I am still trying it atm and tbh is not bad, reminds me of aion... probably gone or free is they dont find more ways to ensure the players they have interested atm... cuz tbh the game get a little boring after a while.

WOW so far is the game which have the more "interest" more "development" and "investment" in, and thats why ppl still playing and they still getting subscriptions.

Also for those who try to compare 6 years old engine graphics with brand new engine like tera or rift to wow, isnt even an argument.

Anyway imo the next MMORPG concept that if well explored MIGHT succeed since it still undeveloped atm is the system FFXIV and TERA and Blade and Soul have.
    That console like system might make the game concept much more interesting.. but it still needs a big way to go.
    I much rather have some action and improve my combos (B&S like) or need to actually dodge than be farming pretty epics with better numbers while pressing 1 /castsequence macro and making same thing =)
    Last edited by mmoc285a6aa17b; 2011-02-10 at 05:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tikaru View Post
    The problem is "better" is a matter of personal opinion. I do feel they've made improvements over what they borrowed from WoW's UI look. I don't need an addon to be able to move everything around. You also have more bars to rotate through than WoW.
    Sometimes "better" is an opinion, and sometimes, it simply isn't.
    If you love someone, you will focus your life on their happiness.

Quote Originally Posted by Cluck213 View Post
    In addition, Rift is shit.
    As is your posting!

---------- Post added 2011-02-10 at 11:19 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by digitelanimefan View Post
    Hey, here's a crazy thought: They both developed the idea at the same time, possibly even ripped from the same source or concept.

Seriously, given how close together they came out...neither game could have stolen the idea from the other, and then developed their own instances as quickly as they did.
    Except EQ's Lost Dungeons of Norrath expansion was released what a year and a half or more before WoW release. And the whole point behind the expansion was all about new instance dungeons. As for taking ideas from each other, Foror and Tigole each ran 2 of the most successful guilds of their time in EQ before coming to Blizz.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Valizix View Post
    As is your posting![COLOR="red"]

As for taking ideas from each other, Foror and Tigole each ran 2 of the most successful guilds of their time in EQ before coming to Blizz.
    Ohh Fires of Heaven....

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by commanderbeatdown View Post
    Sometimes "better" is an opinion, and sometimes, it simply isn't.
    In this case, and all other RIFT-related threads, it is an opinion.

The game is still in beta, so we can't confirm anything yet. People are talking about WoW's success and comparing it to a game you can't purchase off the shelf yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Razorice View Post
    If Rift and WoW are the same other than rift having better graphics, what logic is there to playing WoW?

Blizzard has a great Dance studio and there Voip is to die for. lol

Quest helper stolen
    ct raid asist stolen (ready checks rw and marking targets were not in the game)
    threat meter stolen
    wow has added dbm style rw to help raiders stolen
    Power Auras stolen

wow has nothing new, next expansion they will throw you another character slot and Tri spec and you will buy it

What makes wows ui sucessful is the people who make the mods.

Blizzards only innovation was to take all the things that make a great MMO and package them in one complete package. BTW isnt this in the wrong forum as it isn't off topic, more WoW general?

My love of WoW came from accessibility. There was more content for me to jump into, both solo and smaller groups than I was used to in other games. I felt empowered and that the world was open to me without feeling that I was on rails as I progressed. I was involved. Even the combat didn't threaten me with depleting my ability to contribute the same way many other games did. Death was an inconvenience, but not a reason to reroll.

I don't feel like they've kept up though. Other games grow more accessible and further from the "on rails" experience. WoW has added lots of buttons to mash but taken away from the importance of what the player does in combat. I feel like my options and my characters have been chipped away at over time so the husks left were more manageable as trivial complications were added. The gameworld I naturally grew attached to gets consistently wrecked with retcons and contrivances. I hope "It was only a setback!" serves as a testament to future story tellers of what not to do.

I had a great time, but nothing great lasts forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Scot View Post
    If Rift and WoW are the same other than rift having better graphics, what logic is there to playing WoW?
    I would say for most people the incentive to stay with WoW is the time investment. This is why it's hard for other companies to compete with WoW. First, what they do deliver is by and large execution. When they add something (new class, UI element, LFD, etc) it's done well. So competing on the features of WoW is hard enough. Second, what they have that no other game has is a large player base. This seems like I'm being circular, but I'm not. What Rift is lacking (any other MMO really, not quite fair to compare to Rift yet) is a huge player base, where each of those players has invested a lot of time in the game.

What does a large player base give you? Many players means WoW is software that has been thoroughly tested. Many players means more community (not always a good thing, but it does provide a really rich addon/mod community among other things).

I've played WoW for a long time, I really enjoy the game. I have signed up for Rift betas, I've watched my friend play it, I'm excited about it. But it's got to really good to overcome that inertia, that time investment I have in WoW, for me to quit WoW and switch to Rift. I'll probably play both for a while, then make my decision.

tl;dr - WoW executes well, and has many players who have invested a lot of time. Rift supporters want the argument to be "Rift is as good as WoW", when in reality it probably needs to be "Rift is so much better than WoW, it's worth giving up the past several years of game time".