Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Lightbulb 4.0.6 Fury: Hit maybe still important (past 8%)

I usually play protection and my fury gear is half blues. Did numerous dummy tests with the following results.
    Strength and Crit remains constant throughout. Only difference is swapping Mastery for Hit and vice versa.
    Hit yields a +1k dps (I'm at around 12% hit) over heavy Mastery (8% hit) in my experience.

Reasons:
    1. My enrage uptime is better. More white hits land consistently. I seldom ever run to a situation that I cannot hit Raging Blow when the CD is up. With only 8% hit I had trouble keeping enrage up even with cycling zerker rage and deathwish carefully. Considering that Mastery mainly boosts RB and I can't hit it consistently with a heavy mastery build, that kinda defeats the purpose.
    2. Rage generation is very smooth. All GCDs can be hit consistently.
    3. Burning off rage with heroic strikes isn't that bad as thought. HS still crits for 14-19k.
    4. White melee damage is 2nd on my list (Top being Bloodthirst), hit is helping that out.

TL: DR
    Hit is less useful in 4.0.6 but I do not think everyone should dump it all down to 8%. Having it slightly around 11-12% actually results in higher DPS.

Am I misguided in my thinking or missing something?
    Thank you for your help and ideas in advance.

math is not a feeling.

there are calculations that PROVE that 8% hit is good enough.

look at elitistjerks for precise informations

10+ Year Old Account
    Hit is still important, it's just not that high in our priority list anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz
    MMO champion for example used to be the center of WoW theorycrafting

I swapped 3.5% hit (going down to 8.4%) for 3 points of mastery (going up to 14 mastery) and lost an average 1000 DPS, after three 10 million damage tests on the raid dummy. The reason why? I wasn't able to use Heroic Strike as often as I would have liked. Spreadsheets are not a substitute for testing.

Yes, Heroic Strike has been nerfed. But it's still a significant source of damage.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Accaris View Post
    I swapped 3.5% hit (going down to 8.4%) for 3 points of mastery (going up to 14 mastery) and lost an average 1000 DPS, after three 10 million damage tests on the raid dummy. The reason why? I wasn't able to use Heroic Strike as often as I would have liked. Spreadsheets are not a substitute for testing.

Yes, Heroic Strike has been nerfed. But it's still a significant source of damage.
    Have you considered that you were using HS too much and because of it were unable to maintain the "GOOD" rotation?

Math doesn't lie, player error is generally the reason why hard math is doubted to begin with.

Deleted
    so hit is our second worst dmg stat so far thats right but that doesnt mean that it is complete useless it does push your dmg of course but stats like crit mastery are far better.

i raided yesterday with around 9% hit, i noticed that i could maintain the "rotation" better when hs used by 60+ rage with more hit i used it at 50+rage, but atm with 9% hit i get sometimes rage starved using at 50+

I found it's better to wait until you're just about to max out your rage (80+) to hit Heroic strike. If you're still heroic striking at 60 or 50 rage, you're going to run into some problems.
    Taste the flames of Sulfuron!

I am not the best fury warrior in the world but i realy think its up to playstyle ...
    If u want to spam a few buttons u should just go for high hit...
    If u want to push u dps to the edge go with the hit soft cap and alot of crt and mastery and try to work out ur rotation around your rage ...

I dont understand how fury can compete with arms by missing hits.
    I tryied fury in raid and my dps was the same as arms but i had 17% hit(as much as i could get), when i only have 8% as arms.

I sometimes had miss streaks during which i couldnt do anything, not much rage there.

Before the patch...

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    I have found that after i reforge everything but my hit trinkets i have about 10% hit 22% crit and almost 15 mastery and have improved my dps about 2k. Even my aoe dps is higher cause of crit.

Quote Originally Posted by Accaris View Post

Except right there you have forgotten that test dummies are a poor source of testing for warriors, your missing 10% haste straight off the bat via WF and various other buffs you might get. The maths says you can do more DPS, if you play correctly, you gain DPS. The 8% hit build is just very punishing if you get an ichy HS finger and start using it when you ought not.

Quote Originally Posted by lordzed83 View Post
    Another stupid ass Thread about same thing.....
    Hint depends on PLAYSTYLE.
    Not really. Besides, new patch, new thread. Some subjects are integral to the Fury playstyle, such as hit%. Revisiting the topic after a patch is not what I'd call "stupid ass".

Way to contribute, Troll.
    If you love someone, you will focus your life on their happiness.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatsu View Post
    math is not a feeling.

there are calculations that PROVE that 8% hit is good enough.

look at elitistjerks for precise informations
    I had to register now just to answer this. The author of this thread is correct.

If critical strike rating stays even only hit and mastery differ both gearsets will nearly do even DPS.

Code:
    Prove: elitistjerks.com/f81/t110350-%5Bcataclysm%5D_warrior_faq_-_read_while_patching_before_posting/p2/#post1866099
    More hit just smoothes out the Enrage effect and the overall dps variation. Low hit can produce a high DPS fluctiation. It can be superb with luckstreaks (Enrage always up on Raging Blow CD for example) but also really crappy if you got badluck with your Enrage procs.

Regarding Heroic Strike: Even after the nerf the HS dps outplays Slam anytime. What changed is that you will now prefer Slam! over HS.
    Last edited by mmocb1a1045dcd; 2011-02-10 at 03:22 PM.

yesterday in BwD I beat the other fury warr in the guild by a pretty huge ammount of dps (he is slightly better geared). I went crit/mastery while he went hit/crit. So at least in raids atm it seems crit/mastery is better.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    I have simply found that ignoring HS unless i have 50 rage, cannot use RB and cant pop zerker or death wish and am not enraged works well.

All the math I've seen assumes a total extreme between a "crit/mastery build" and a "hit/haste build." Even Zork's simulations make this comparison.

I want to compare only hit and mastery, with no difference in AP, crit, or haste at all. Factor in the potential number of Heroic Strikes (with 2/3 Incite) that can be achieved with extra hit rating, versus the damage bonus of mastery.

i have 8.35 hit... and my enrage uptime seems like its close to 90% ish, in fact it seems like its up more then it was before the patch

I gained quite a bit of dps after the patch when going for hit(8%)>exp(26)>str>crit>mastery>hit=haste.
    Stats with Battle shout:
    AP:10106
    HIT:8,87%
    CRIT:19,85%
    MASTERY:14,84

Baradin hold (Without flask/food,):
    EDIT: posting link instead (don't know how to change size on pictures :/)
    http://data.fuskbugg.se/skalman02/riktigabhdps.jpg
    And this isn't an optimal boss due to parries when stacking.

The previous week I had 12-13k dps (2 new items since then).

The optimal stat priorities are the standard 4.06 8%>26>str>crit>mastery>hit.

If you are seeing a dps loss then you are playing incorrectly. DPS gains have been seen among almost all who switch their stats and clearly has an empirical basis, and not merely mathematical theorycraft to support it. "Playstyle" is irrelevant, learn to play the one with the best dps gains, and try to find the source of your mistakes if following the above stat priority list is not working for you.

Seeing how there is a new stat priorities is there any changes to the rotation priorities?