Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account

Magmaw, seriously?

Me and my guild used to down Magmaw in one shot every single week. We never had a problem, it was extremely easy. Now were having major trouble with him. He seems to always do Mangle and a Flame Pillar at the exact same time and then put the smoke down as the flame pillar is coming out. He has never done all 3 of these at the same time and it's really annoying.

The parasites are also acting extremely weird. They aggro onto the rogues that we have FoK which has never happened before. And they keep having a weird giant axe animation appear on them. Also, the fact that as a Frost DK with the Howling Blast nerf, my dps went from 21k to 11k is absolutely ridiculous because we are not a range heavy guild. Blizzard is really not allowing you to take any comp you can come up with anymore, which is killing us as a casual guild.

Before you all say "your bad" and stuff, we are progressed way further then this, and this fight has really become a problem. I don't know if it's bugged or what, but he never used to get all 3 abilities off at the same exact time.

Didn't happen to my guild on Tuesday. Perhaps a bug of some sort?
    Quote Originally Posted by Precursor View Post
    "Fall of therzane....." ....um what? if that woman fell , god help us it will be the second cataclysm
    Words that lots of people don't seem to know the definition of:
    "Troll", "Rehash", "Casual", "Dead", "Dying", "Exploit".

Killed Magmaw in 1 pull last night (10 man, our guild is 11/12). no abnormal behaviour like you wrote. Maybe you experienced an unussual set of timers.

Deleted
    We have had some attempts with all 3 of those abilities happening at the same time, sometime with the smoke coming on the adds and some on the ranged dps. But we never had any problem with dealing with them. Maybe your ranged aoe is a bit low now that your damage got nerfed.

But if it happends or not seems to be pure rng.

You know you don't have to kill the parasites right? Just have 1 frost dk with chilblains go blood presence and kite them for the whole fight (its REALLY easy). The rest of the dps can stand in melee range of the boss - just take a few steps out at the end of the exposed head phase before running back in.

That solves your mangle/flame pillar problems, your FoK aggro problems and your melee heavy raid comp problems all in one go.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    About the 3 abilities together.. this happened to us from time to time, at least once each night. Knwoing this I'm prepared all the time to throw a DnD into the camp, because the pillar usually spawns there when this happens.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nilnar View Post
    You know you don't have to kill the parasites right? Just have 1 frost dk with chilblains go blood presence and kite them for the whole fight (its REALLY easy). The rest of the dps can stand in melee range of the boss - just take a few steps out at the end of the exposed head phase before running back in.

That solves your mangle/flame pillar problems, your FoK aggro problems and your melee heavy raid comp problems all in one go.
    This tactic does work, yeah. We tried it and was quite successful. But, on 25 mans, we still do the 1-3 Hunters stay out so the pillar is far out and burn the adds. We've had where he Mangles a tank (when he does that, he does the fire on 1/2 the room) and a pillar. Well, you just move to the other side while pwning adds. Get adds down quick for head burn phase. If your timing gets weird because of DPS on adds, and you get a pillar when his head is spiked, then the adds are still priority. If your DPS are quick enough, and the guys on the head are quick enough, you can interrupt the Pillar of Flam CD by pinning his head quick. The quickest you can pin it is 5 sec., so watch your CDs on DBM.

If you are a melee heavy guild, then definitely try the DK-kite strat. It's super easy like the guy above here said.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nilnar View Post

Surely you mean UH pres for increased runspeed and rune regen, since when kiting the only aggro you need to hold off is from healers and that's accomplished by simply DnD'ing the Flame Pillar.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

We are currently working on BwD and had some problems with Atramedes (23 wipes 0 kills)

Last night we ran it, poof one shotted. Something weird is going on, that for sure =P

10+ Year Old Account
    We went to magmaw last night and one shotted him as per usual, i never noticed any changes to the encounter.

Atramedes, maybe it's just me but did his discs decide to start moving alot faster than usual?

Deleted
    We had a couple of problems with mods and bosses in BoT last night. However Magmaw and all the fights up to and including Atramedes were fine

10+ Year Old Account
    No issues with Magmaw. Atramedes seemed to be faster at tracking in the air but that may have just been sloppy performance.

Magmaw is prone to a strange combination of timers, just a weird boss.

One night we got flame pillars EVERY single time his head hit the ground, was rather annoying. People tunnel visioned the boss and died so we just wiped it and started again, second time no such problems all timers etc worked fine.

Deleted
    Last night we had a huge problem with Atramedes under the tracking in the air phase... made it after about 10 whipes.
    Last edited by mmoc544f22933f; 2011-02-10 at 02:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukem View Post
    Killed Magmaw in 1 pull last night (10 man, our guild is 11/12). no abnormal behaviour like you wrote. Maybe you experienced an unussual set of timers.
    Flame pillar is on a 30(?) second CD, and goes on in till his head actually drops.
    First head drop you should deal with 2 pillars, then if your people on chains are quick enough then only 1.
    The pillar CD relies purely on the chain people. If they get the chains down ASAP flame pillars CD will reset and you won't have a second one drop. By not doing chains ASAP you mess up the CD with one pillar being out while he does the ground slam, his head is down, or while mangle is happening.

So I'd have to say it is your chain people being slow.

Edit: What I mean is if they chain people are quick enough, then Magmaw head will be impaled within 5 seconds of going up, and slam his head into the spike, therefore reseting the CD. Tested this all with my own raid.
    Last edited by Discombobula; 2011-02-10 at 02:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Discombobula View Post
    Flame pillar is on a 30(?) second CD, and goes on in till his head actually drops.
    First head drop you should deal with 2 pillars, then if your people on chains are quick enough then only 1.
    The pillar CD relies purely on the chain people. If they get the chains down ASAP flame pillars CD will reset and you won't have a second one drop. By not doing chains ASAP you mess up the CD with one pillar being out while he does the ground slam, his head is down, or while mangle is happening.

So I'd have to say it is your chain people being slow.

Edit: What I mean is if they chain people are quick enough, then Magmaw head will be impaled within 5 seconds of going up, and slam his head into the spike, therefore reseting the CD. Tested this all with my own raid.
    This. If you have people chaining ASAP you should never have adds (flame pillar) after he slams his head on the ground. The main reason why chains aren't going down quick enough usually has to do with people not moving out of the "steam" quick enough where he slame, thus resulting in them getting stunned for a couple seconds, thus resulting in the chains going down much slower, and adds coming out.

But no, I don't think there was a change, we did this fine on Tuesday, same as always.

If you went from 21k dps prepatch to 11k post patch you need to reroll now

That's odd and I'm sorry that you guys were having a tough time with him. =\

My guild killed him last night in 25 and the only difference was that the parasites didn't die as fast (but the boss died faster). It seemed that all of our melee dps (mainly warriors & paladins) were doing way more dps than usual and our ranged dps was a little lower overall.

We had all three happening at the same time last night but it wasn't an issue and we're also casual...your dps should not be at 11k, you are either doing something horribly wrong or exaggerating because I am also a frost dk and i pull about 20k on this fight doing a mixture of boss dps and running out to help with adds. We are also range starved so typically i run out, hungering them, howling blast and D&D and run back to boss while our mage and hunter take them out. It really isn't that bad of a nerf.
    Thrall: Morning Garrosh, want some pancakes?
    Garrosh: A TRUE WARCHIEF WOULD NEVER CONSUME WEAK PANCAKES. ONLY THE MIGHT OF WAFFLES IS FIT TO COMMAND THE HORDE! LOK'TAR O'GAR!

Basic Campfire for Warchief

The class changes with the recent patch really buffed some classes up and most raid comps in general. Magmaw should never be a problem. I kite the parasites with my normal main tank blood spec. Get unholy shield glyph, sit in blood presence, dnd and spam blood boil (glyph for it). You run at 15% extra speed, and you have insane threat, dont know how you can have problems with magmaw as he is the easiest boss in this tier of raiding. This is how my guild does it in 10 mans, we are 3/13 Heroic