New computer, thoughts, suggestions

CHANGED MY MIND DUE TO REPLIES, NOW LOOKING FOR NEW GRAPHICS CARD AND SSD TO UPGRADE CURRENT MACHINE.

latest post at bottom, thanks to everyone so far for the help, much appreciated.
    Last edited by Stunnashades; 2011-02-10 at 06:13 PM.

yes you will need to change your grafix card to atlest any DX11 card

and i really recomend a SSD in that rig sens that is your biggest weak point

if your going LGA 1366 go allway the way with LGA 1366 otherwise it is cheaper to just wait and get the sandybirdge 2600k and overclock with and use a third party cooler (MSI OC gene button overclocks the 2600k to about 4.3 Ghz i think and all you do is press one button on the motherboard and boom overclocked)

as for the grafix i recomend ATi they are cheaper than Nvida when it comes to the bang for your buck ratio and crossfire works way better than nvidas SLi atm

15+ Year Old Account
    wait for the i5 2500K to be shipping again and get it instead of a 1366 cpu/motherboard.

yes, the 570 is far better than 4870 x 2. 4870 is two generations old now, 570 is brand new
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

4870 is old, that's why it's not sold anymore. Also I'd recommend you buy new graphics card now and wait until April before Sandby Bridge boards are available again, your current AMD setup is enough for few more months with hopefully crashes cleared by new graphics card. Buying i7-950 is terrible waste now unless it's 100% necessary since it's more expensive, performs poorer than i5-2500K and is essentially old obsolete technology.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

This just feels as though you want us to justify that purchase.
    Personally.. I say no.
    A new video card, sure.

A whole new rig? Totally not worth it.

can you give me some actual recommendations (item wise) for graphics, the gtx 570 does have dx11 support, so i got a bit confused there.

When you say "if your going LGA 1366 go allway the way with LGA 1366" what do you mean?

I looked into the 2600k and i was originally going to buy one, but the motherboards that support lga 1155 have all been recalled on US sites and I couldn't find one.

What ati card and what nvidia card would be best for my case? I more or less need to know if replacing my 4870 is the way to go, and what is an upgrade?

Also, do not take Intel SSD. Pick up either Corsair Force or G.Skill Phoenix Pro or some other disc with Sandforce controller instead. Intel is considerably slower.

Radeon 6950 is closest competition to Nvidia GTX560/570 if you want to stick with AMD. Nvidia cards perform slightly better in DX11 stuff (tesselation) but it's still very little used in games so either brand will work fine.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Ok, I am going to take the advice and wait on a full system upgrade till the mobos come back avail in the spring, i do want to make my system more up to date though.

Without the cost from a new mobo, ram, cpu i want to make some changes to obviously my video card, and a good SSD.

What would be the best bang for buck graphics card I can upgrade my 4870 to, and will i need extra cooling if I upgrade? My 4870 runs at 70 idle and 90-100 in HoN... WoW has never worked my machine to any degree, so i don't use it as a guage.

As far as SSD is concerned, my questions comes down to size, what is enough? I want to install my OS and the games i play on it. I have a tb of HDD for other shit.

stunnashades by all the way i mean the 6 core hyperthreded I7 LGA 1366 prosses sens that is the only reason to get a LGA 1366 now (and that prossesor is going for 1000+ us dollars so)

vesseblah intels SSDs might be tad bit slower (about 5% if i remeber correctly) but they break way less than other companies

but everybody is relaseing new SSD controllers soon that is going to be way better than the old once i have seen some test charts from the new sandforce controllers and intels new once and let's just say damm thats fast

EDIT: Bang for you buck the GTX 560 Ti or AMD 6950 HD are really good options that will work well and then once you can get sandybirdge CPUs agaien you can just get an otherone sens scaleing is really good on those cards
    Last edited by Harith; 2011-02-10 at 05:11 PM.

ya, no way ill be spending 1k on a mobo lol.

---------- Post added 2011-02-10 at 05:13 PM ----------

how much of an upgrade am i looking at from 4870 to say 6950 hd.

also, i have an asus board and in the details when I bought it, it said it supports

"4 x PCIe 2.0 x16 slots with ATI CrossFireX™ support (@ dual x16, triple x16 / x8 / x8, or quad x8 modes)"

does that mean i can only run ati in crossfire, can I run nvidia on the board or just not in SLI?

you can run a singel Nvida grafix card atlest and going from a 4870 to a 6950 is hugh and you will probly go "why did i want to uppgrade my other parts in the first place anyhow"

Edit: i resently went from a gfoce 9800 GTX to a GTX 460 and i gained about 20-30 fps in wow and overall a hugh preformans inscrese

only one side note you won't see that big of a diff on FPS games sens more often than not it is the CPU choking the fps there
    Last edited by Harith; 2011-02-10 at 05:32 PM.

first off. what all games will you be playing? if ur not busting out metro 2033 theres really no point(unless you just have money) to buy a 6950. so whats the budget? and SSD is nice for the idk, 8 games you can put on them until its full? O_o
    "With Honor, We Fight."

Thanks for all the advice, last question, what size is good for an ssd, like i said i want my OS (windows 7 64) and maybe 4-5 games tops (HoN, Rift or whatever mmo i end up playing, an FPS game, and maybe 1 or 2 other random ones)

---------- Post added 2011-02-10 at 05:45 PM ----------

silenius, i usually try most games that come out at least 1 time (or a play through) and i love to be able to run them on max settings. I play 1 mmo (was wow, currently rift, likely to be swtor), 1 fps (currently black ops), and HoN consistently.

Use Newegg,

newegg,com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=636&name=SSD
    "With Honor, We Fight."

Ya i shop newegg for most of my stuff. I am wondering what size is enough for what i need. I dont know how much space an OS takes up =/

---------- Post added 2011-02-10 at 05:54 PM ----------

I am looking at the 6970 and the 6950, any comments? obviously the 6970 is better, but is it worth the cost over the 6950? I plan to buy a duplicate of whichever in the spring when i upgrade the rest of the machine.

---------- Post added 2011-02-10 at 06:01 PM ----------

also, are there any major leaders as far as brand goes? I had a sapphire last card, pros cons in that department?

Quote Originally Posted by Stunnashades View Post
    Ya i shop newegg for most of my stuff. I am wondering what size is enough for what i need. I dont know how much space an OS takes up =/

---------- Post added 2011-02-10 at 05:54 PM ----------

I am looking at the 6970 and the 6950, any comments? obviously the 6970 is better, but is it worth the cost over the 6950? I plan to buy a duplicate of whichever in the spring when i upgrade the rest of the machine.

---------- Post added 2011-02-10 at 06:01 PM ----------

also, are there any major leaders as far as brand goes? I had a sapphire last card, pros cons in that department?
    Sapphire is decent. Gigabyte, EVGA, MSI and ASUS are other good brands.
    The 6970 isn't worth it. Especially as you can flash the 6950 into a 6970.

An SSD isnt needed for game play. It only makes boot-up and start ups quicker. It's useless for gaming.

Quote Originally Posted by Bytch View Post
    An SSD isnt needed for game play. It only makes boot-up and start ups quicker. It's useless for gaming.
    i want my games to load fast too =p

---------- Post added 2011-02-10 at 07:47 PM ----------

so i went with a 6970 and an 80g ssd. Thanks for the info everyone, again, much appreciated.