Deleted

New PC - Worth the Wait??

Sup guys. I have used the forums here for some assistance in the past. I was pretty confident and knew what I wanted to get. However, after I learned about the damn manufacturing flaw in the P67 mobos, I have had some concerns that I would like to clear up before my purchase. I had initially planned on getting the i5-2500K for my new system. I had everything else ready and was pretty much prepared to pay for my new system until I came across the damn news of a bug in sandy bridge motherboards. Now I am left with three options:

A: Wait until April (possibly even later, who knows?) before buying my new pc
    B: Don't wait, take the risk and buy the cpu now - (Could someone explain to me what's actually at stake? I have no clue what the bug can do)
    C: Don't wait, buy a different CPU, something along the lines of i7-950.

So, what's the best option out of the three that I have listed and is there maybe an alternative to all three options, that I may not have thought of.

Well the bug it self was with the Sata ports that controlled your HDD and CD drive or what ever else you had plugged into them. It was only the SATA II ports and not the SATA III ports. Over time these ports could develop an error that would cause them to cease functioning.

According to intel something like 30% of the mother boards would actually see this problem. Now if you're only running a HDD and a CD drive I would just hook a CD drive up to a SATA II port and run the HDD off the SATA III port, and problem fixed.

that being said, take option A.
    CPU - i7-950 @ 4.1ghz
    GPU - GTX 470 @ 880/1760/2100
    Storage - 2x Crucial C300 64GB SSD Raid 0 / 1x WD CB 1TB / 2x WD CB 640GB
    Memory - 6GB Corsair Dominator 1600
    PSU - 1000W Coolermaster Silent Pro
    Case - Coolermaster HAF X
    CPU Water Block - EK Supreme Nickel/Plexi CPU Water Block
    GPU Water Block - EK GTX 470 Nickel/Plexi GPU Water Block

Deleted
    Is there any side effect or risk of running the HDD off the III port as opposed to the SATA II one? Also, would I need to buy a specific type of HDD in order to do what you have suggested?

15+ Year Old Account
    you would need a sata III HDD as opposed to a SATA II HDD, other than that, no.

the port differences are like the differences between usb 1.1 and usb 2.0 (kinda...); they're essentially the same thing except one is a newer version of the other. sata II is slowly dying off as new technology (sata III) is introduced
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

You can use any regular SATA disc in SATA3 ports, dont need to get special models. Also no mechanical disc will get any speed benefit from SATA3, Crucial RealSSD C300 is currently the only disc available in stores that can cap SATA2 and work significantly faster in SATA3 ports.

Option C is the worst one btw.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Quote Originally Posted by lolnoobdead View Post
    Is there any side effect or risk of running the HDD off the III port as opposed to the SATA II one? Also, would I need to buy a specific type of HDD in order to do what you have suggested?
    Yeah like others have said you'll need a SATA III HDD.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136795 Would work fine.
    CPU - i7-950 @ 4.1ghz
    GPU - GTX 470 @ 880/1760/2100
    Storage - 2x Crucial C300 64GB SSD Raid 0 / 1x WD CB 1TB / 2x WD CB 640GB
    Memory - 6GB Corsair Dominator 1600
    PSU - 1000W Coolermaster Silent Pro
    Case - Coolermaster HAF X
    CPU Water Block - EK Supreme Nickel/Plexi CPU Water Block
    GPU Water Block - EK GTX 470 Nickel/Plexi GPU Water Block

The new P67 mainboards MIGHT be available earlier than expected. My guess would be around mid March.
    Most of the mainboards have 2 SATA III ports, so if you're not planning on getting more than 1 HDD and 1 DVD/BD drive you could use the SATA III ports without any risks.
    I wouldn't do it, though, because I'd rather wait a few weeks for a fixed mainboard than paying a lot of money for something that's not 100% OK.