10+ Year Old Account

Question What's wrong with my Router?

I have a Linksys WRT54G router that I'm trying to get to communicate with my modem and computer. I can direct-connect to my modem for internet, and I can also ping my router, no problem there.

I don't know what to do set up my internet connection / router, I do believe my family uses DSL but I'm not for sure, I've tried using the PPPoE configuration on my router before, and it's worked, but it will no longer allow me to connect. I remember I once found a command I typed in CMD that was longer and more complex than ipconfig /release/renew and it had my internet working before, but I cannot find it anywhere

Errr... sounds like either you have some key features in the router turned off, or you have your ethernet cable plugged into the wrong port for it to route Internet traffic.

Make sure the ethernet cable going from the modem to the router is plugged into the WAN port on the router, if it is, then there should be a little button that's only accessable with a pencil, pen, paperclip, something small and pointy. That's the hard reset button and it resets it to factory default. Push that button and wait for it to finish booting. If that doesn't work, then I'm afraid your router is dead. WRT54G is a very, very old router... though they're very good routers, nonetheless.