Page 1 of 2
LastLast

prebuilt comp for playing WOW

I want to get a computer to play WOW on but I really don't do any other gaming so I don't want to spend a ton for components I don't need. Any recommendation for a prebuilt system that will work smoothly for wow under $900? I generally do 10 man raid stuff but I do 25 man when I can. I looked at the Velocity edge Z5 but I thought maybe even that is more than I really need. I have built all my previous systems but I'm getting old and tired and I don't feel like messing around with all that anymore. Any help is appreciated.

Here -> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-206-_-Product

Will be enough for WoW 25-man raids at high settings, and runs 10-mans on ultra. Graphics card is just barely what WoW needs and nothing extra.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post

Will be enough for WoW 25-man raids at high settings, and runs 10-mans on ultra. Graphics card is just barely what WoW needs and nothing extra.
    Seems like a fairly decent buy.

But always keep in mind that selecting your own components is the best choice both performance and price wise.

No idea how much parts are in the US. But currentley the new intel chips are the best around.

The new i5k processor great chip and great overclocking if thats somting you wanna do later down the road.

Personal opinon. Get advice on the parts ie from this forum once got an idea,have some place build it. You may find it to be cheaper and you will get a better pc for the long run also.

That looks pretty good but taking into account stefy's reply should I go one step further and order from Cyberpowers web site to get a little bit more accurately what is good? Looking at their configurer you could get a phenom x6 1055t but with only 4 gigs of ram and the rest of the components the same as the new egg one for $825 or if you go for the quad core + 8 gigs of ram it is $905. Is the difference between the ram more important than the processor? just based on my quick run through looks like the new egg version is about $100 less than if you custom ordered it.

Newegg sells it cheaper because they sell volume.

For purely gaming purposes the x4 965 is clearly better than x6 1055T, and the extra RAM is just icing on the cake. You can't get better computer with their configurator, but you can get slightly better with aroudn $900 if you want to wait for Sandy Bridge motherboards to be available again in April.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

I wanted it sooner than April but I had noticed that Sandy bridge is recommended in many places, I know building is cheaper/ better but I'm just at the point where i want to plug something in and watch it (hopefully) go thanks for the clarification on the cpu vesseblah looks like that is the system to buy to fit my criteria.

Got a slight beef with the quip about the video card... you can run 25mans on High with an Nvidia 9600 GT... which is nothing compared to a 5770. 5770 is still overkill for WoW. Just sayin' it's not "just barely" what WoW needs . Over all, that's a good comp for the money though.

Quote Originally Posted by gooseuk View Post
    No idea how much parts are in the US. But currentley the new intel chips are the best around.

The new i5k processor great chip and great overclocking if thats somting you wanna do later down the road.

Personal opinon. Get advice on the parts ie from this forum once got an idea,have some place build it. You may find it to be cheaper and you will get a better pc for the long run also.
    Going Intel is a poor choice for anyone making a budget build. AMD chips will almost always perform better for the price in today's current 2-core games. Now, down the road when games actually take full advantage of hyper-threading, this statement will be completely invalid, and the i5/i7 line will blow X4's out of the water.

For the time being however, AMD is still the way to go for budget gaming builds (I would recommend looking at the 955 or 965). Been using my 955 for over a year now and have had nothing but good experiences.

Thanks for the additional assurance, its nice to get some additional opinions, I guess all thats left is... which mods will I need to use for my resto shaman LOL!

TotemTimers and VuhDo are pretty much a must.

And yes, you could run WoW with Radeon 5670 too, but that is bit borderline and might require turning down some video options on 1920x1080 monitor. R5770 is about x3 faster card in any games that require actual GPU so it's good idea for gaming computer regardless.
    Trolling should be.

Actually a 5770 will not run WoW fully maxed (on 1920x1080), you will have low FPS in open areas on Ultra + 8 Multisampling. Even my HD4890 Superclocked (which is faster than a 5770) does not run smooth (30 fps+) unless I turn down shadows to High. And to reach 60 fps with Vertical Sync turned on I also have to lower Multisampling to 4, shadows to Good and sometimes even lower the water to High/Good as well depending on the area. But you will easily get a smooth 60 FPS in dungeons/raids on max settings (excluding lost city of the shadows spam).

And no it's not my CPU or RAM because I have 8GB DDR3 RAM and a 3,80GHz i7 CPU.

Anyway to post on topic again, it's way better to find a place where you can build your PC part by part it saves money and gives you a better PC overall. I'm sure some online store must offer it

TotemTimers and VuhDo are pretty much a must.
    What. Wouldn't use either.

Quote Originally Posted by Codyksp View Post
    Actually a 5770 will not run WoW fully maxed (on 1920x1080), you will have low FPS in open areas on Ultra + 8 Multisampling. Even my HD4890 Superclocked (which is faster than a 5770) does not run smooth (30 fps+) unless I turn down shadows to High.

And no it's not my CPU or RAM because I have 8GB DDR3 RAM and a 3,80GHz i7 CPU.
    Yes, it is your CPU exactly. No current Intel or AMD CPU can run WoW at 1920x1080 or higher resolution on full ultra at 60+ fps during heavy aoe. Shadow quality setting on ultra will bring any computer to it's knees (or at least below 50 framerate, Onyxia25 below 40). It's a well-known limitation of the game's engine.

Difference between R5670 and 5770 is how high you can push multisampling and texture filtering (aka. AA/AF), on 5670 it's going to be off, but with 5770 you can put those to 4x and enjoy improved picture quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Codyksp View Post
    Anyway to post on topic again, it's way better to find a place where you can build your PC part by part it saves money and gives you a better PC overall. I'm sure some online store must offer it
    It's very hard to beat the premade computers of Newegg in price because they sell hundreds/thounsands of those. Every single company that has a configurator will take $50-150 for putting it together.
    Trolling should be.

Yes, it is your CPU exactly. No current Intel or AMD CPU can run WoW at 1920x1080 or higher resolution on full ultra at 60+ fps during heavy aoe. Shadow quality setting on ultra will bring any computer to it's knees (or at least below 50 framerate, Onyxia25 below 40). It's a well-known limitation of the game's engine.
    lol, mine does o.o

10+ Year Old Account
    Check CyberpowerPC.com I've bought 2 gaming machines from them and have been very impressed with their performance.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ultra shadows: CPU bound (as in GPU doesn't matter much)

Ultra shadows: inefficient design. Doesn't mean you CAN'T keep 60 fps with it on, just not at all situations (crowded citites or an aoe-shitstorm)

Quote Originally Posted by Vietnamese View Post
    lol, mine does o.o
    No. It doesn't. Not 1920x1080 resolution during Heavy AoE. Not full-ultra. With shadows.
    Any good computer can handle "low" shadows. But Ultra? No.

Last time I played I was using x-perl frames and Clique is Vuhdo better than that combo? I think I used Yata for totems is that one still usable?

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisgoat View Post
    No. It doesn't. Not 1920x1080 resolution during Heavy AoE. Not full-ultra. With shadows.
    Any good computer can handle "low" shadows. But Ultra? No.
    This. Core i7 950 @ 3.8GHz, XFX 6870 Black Edition, and I cannot run WoW full-on Ultra (8x MSAA, full shadows) above 60FPS in open areas. Drop down to "Good" shadows and 4x MSAA, I go up to around 90FPS in open areas. I get up to 120FPS in open areas with 24x Edge-Detect MLAA as well as 8x Standard MLAA, but it makes high-rez text look like garbage (yay for post-processing effects...). This is all at 1920x1080.

I could run WoW on Ultra with shadows and AA turned off on my Athlon X2 4600+ Barton w/ BFG 9600 GT OC at around 75FPS at 1680x1050 and ~50FPS at 1920x1080.

Quote Originally Posted by leroy1712 View Post
    Last time I played I was using x-perl frames and Clique is Vuhdo better than that combo? I think I used Yata for totems is that one still usable?
    I would definitely go with TotemTimers... Never liked YATA too much, not enough customization, IMO.
    Last edited by Cantii; 2011-02-11 at 07:37 PM.