Thread: Useless Facts

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
5
LastLast
  1. #41
    The average depth of the oceans is 15,000 feet.
    The average thunderstorm contains half a million tons of water.
    The sun evaporates two hundred thousand million tons of water from the surface of the oceans every day.

    There now you can sleep well.

  2. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by jtgizmo View Post
    Chrysler built B-29's engines that bombed Japan, Mitsubishi built Zeros that tried to shoot them down. Both companies now build cars in a joint plant call Diamond Star.
    Diamond Star Motors dissolved in 1994 :P

  3. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by jtgizmo View Post
    The average human eats 8 spiders in their lifetime at night.
    This is not true. the chances of anyone swallowing a spider at all is almost nonexistent

  4. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by Patchwerk View Post
    "There are only four words in the English language which end in "-dous": tremendous, horrendous, stupendous, and hazardous."
    Blasphemous?

    Much interesting stuff though
    I really hope you are joking...unless blasphemous ends in -dous?
    Last edited by Pfeff; 2011-02-14 at 09:11 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by kasath
    is anyone in this group under 18? my parole officer says I'm not allowed to play wow with anyone under 18

  5. #45
    I loved this!

  6. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by xux View Post
    I really hope you are joking...unless blasphemous ends in -dous?
    I think you missed the quotations.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille
    seriously, most of you won't play that game anymore in 1 months.

    Boub has a time machine?!

  7. #47
    Warchief
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    2,027
    There are sharks in the Mississippi River.

    It's not impossible to sneeze with your eyes open, that's like saying it's impossible to sneeze silently.
    Quote Originally Posted by Negridoom
    No. After the Cataclysm there will be an expansion for the zerg, and then an expansion for the protoss.

  8. #48
    The Patient Toskorae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Western Australia
    Posts
    322
    Quote Originally Posted by xux View Post
    I really hope you are joking...unless blasphemous ends in -dous?
    I think he was quoting the fact, then asking; "Blasphemous?"

  9. #49
    The Patient
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    277
    really fun read. more threads like this with cool little facts. i dont find them useless at all btw.

  10. #50
    Blademaster
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    A little south of sanity
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by jakethesnake741 View Post
    While whiskey, bourbon, and scotch are all made using very similar means, they cannot all be made anywhere. Scotch can only be in Scotland, Bourbon can only be made in Kentucky, and Whiskey (usually made in Tennessee) can be made anywhere.

    Champagne can only be made with grapes from a specific region of France, carbonated wine made with grapes from anywhere else in the world can only be call Sparkling wines.
    Bourbon is made from corn, while the others are different names for the same thing... (im rather sure of this)
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

    I do!

  11. #51
    Mechagnome psychedelica's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Norway, Oslo
    Posts
    656
    Sushi was a street food before it went insane popular global wide

  12. #52
    Herald of the Titans Baabinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Home
    Posts
    2,971
    I am 19 years old.

    What? This is a useless fact.
    Scars show you the remnants and failures of the past.

    ~¡¡¡!!!AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, STOP ASKING ABOUT MY AVATAR, I DON'T KNOW!!!¡¡¡~

  13. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by grothezk View Post
    so you are saying there's only 4 continents?. in asy case you are wrong. There's actually 6 continents: America (north, central and south america), Europe, Asia, Africa, Oceania (Australia is a country, not a continent) and finally the Antartida (I know it has no countries there, but many cientists agreed to consider it a continent).
    Australia (also described as Oceania) is the smallest of the geographic continents, though not of geological continents
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australia_(continent)
    "Bill Nye: So Todd I got an offer for you. You and me. Any time. Any place. Debating science mano- a-mano. I'll bring the facts, and you bring the Vaseline. Because your ass is gonna fucking need it when I'm done whipping."

    Mr Eames: "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

  14. #54
    Random fact I heard on the history channel a long time ago. Don't recall what show so can't validate it completely, sorry:

    A primary reason Americans drink hard liquors and beer over wine is that during the first few years of the first colonies Europe was going through a 'little ice age'. During this time European farmers had to convert what they grew to crops that could sustain the colder climate. Which included beer being produced more rather than wine. Therefor most of the Europeans who immigrated to America were familiar with growing hops and the other types of crops they changed to and started growing them in America.

    If you google the little ice age you can find info on it though.

    ---------- Post added 2011-02-17 at 01:02 AM ----------

    On average we are about 1cm taller in the morning than in the evening due to movement compressing the cartilage in our knees during the day.
    Last edited by sicness; 2011-02-17 at 06:03 AM.

  15. #55
    Fact : you cannot lick your own elbow.
    "Bill Nye: So Todd I got an offer for you. You and me. Any time. Any place. Debating science mano- a-mano. I'll bring the facts, and you bring the Vaseline. Because your ass is gonna fucking need it when I'm done whipping."

    Mr Eames: "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

  16. #56
    Quote Originally Posted by jtgizmo View Post
    Fact : you cannot lick your own elbow.
    Met a girl who could.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille
    seriously, most of you won't play that game anymore in 1 months.

    Boub has a time machine?!

  17. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by Drexxil View Post
    Met a girl who could.
    I hate to do it but couldn't resist... pics or didn't happen. :X

  18. #58
    Quote Originally Posted by sicness View Post
    I hate to do it but couldn't resist... pics or didn't happen. :X
    Kind of hard to go back in time and take a picture. If I could time travel, I wouldn't be here posting.

    She was just flexible, and had an abnormally long tongue. She was fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille
    seriously, most of you won't play that game anymore in 1 months.

    Boub has a time machine?!

  19. #59
    Quote Originally Posted by Drexxil View Post
    Kind of hard to go back in time and take a picture. If I could time travel, I wouldn't be here posting.

    She was just flexible, and had an abnormally long tongue. She was fun.
    Lol sounds like it.

    Edit: to stay on topic, cats sleep 16 to 18 hours a day.

  20. #60
    Quote Originally Posted by Drexxil View Post
    Kind of hard to go back in time and take a picture. If I could time travel, I wouldn't be here posting.

    She was just flexible, and had an abnormally long tongue. She was fun.
    Doesn't matter how flexible you are, your bones do not bend, so unless she had ultra short hands and she dislocated the shoulder or something to get it further, then you cannot lick your own elbow.

    ---------- Post added 2011-02-17 at 06:18 AM ----------

    and then I went on a google and found this! lol



    I stand corrected

    ---------- Post added 2011-02-17 at 06:19 AM ----------

    But the idea of that post was really, people who read that, majority will immediately try to lick their own elbow.
    "Bill Nye: So Todd I got an offer for you. You and me. Any time. Any place. Debating science mano- a-mano. I'll bring the facts, and you bring the Vaseline. Because your ass is gonna fucking need it when I'm done whipping."

    Mr Eames: "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •