15+ Year Old Account

Guild Perk : Working Overtime

First off you should be warned that this idea was thought up at 4am while farming a massive amount of Elementium. Thought you should know that in advance incase I sound like a stark raving loon. Also, I'm looking for opinions and suggestions along with any grammatical/spelling/mathematical(I hate math) errors I made; as I may revise this and put it on the official forums.

Ok, many guilds are reaching level 14+ about now, and with this level comes the Guild Perk: Working Overtime. As it reads it gives a 10% higher chance to gain a profession level. From a glance it looks very impressive. Hell a 10% chance to gain anything in WoW is always better right? I however began to mull the idea of this perk over in my head. As everyone who has ever leveled a profession can tell you, RNG is a pain. Outside an orange recipe being crafter you could make ten items before finally getting a skill point. What's worse is that random sting of 10 can happen while the recipe is still yellow, and yellow patterns "supposedly" have a 60% chance to grant a skill point. Assuming your guild has unlocked this amazing perk, that may bump you up to a 70% chance of gaining a point, or will it? One of the problems with this perk is nobody is sure whether or not it adds a flat 10% to you chance (60%+10%=70%) or if it is multiplicative (60% * 10% = 66%). It's only slightly less, but on something that can be as random as profession skill ups that 4% can be quite a difference.

Now that the numbers are out there we can actually ignore them and face a larger issue. How exactly do we prove that the 10%, no matter if it additive or multiplicative, is actually there? How exactly do you test something like this? I guess you could level a profession with a specific amount of materials while under the effects of Working Overtime. Then drop said profession, and with the same amount of materials proceed to level the profession the same way; making sure to record the results of both leveling skill ups and material usage. The only problem with this is once again the RNG involved in profession skill ups. It is perfectly within reason if you were to try this test that you could level the non-perked profession higher or with less mats than with the perk. This in my opinion is a major problem because, while it is unlikely, we may have been given a perk that actually cannot be proven and therefore might not actually exist at all. Also, let's go ahead and be honest about when you level a profession. When I level a profession, and I'd imagine most are like me, I never tend to stray far away from making orange recipes. It is only in small circumstances that I will continue to level a profession while the recipe is yellow or even green. The fact is, everyone knows that a skill up is guaranteed(100%) with an orange pattern; but what does that mean for the perk? Do we have over a one-hundred percent chance to gain a skill point? What use is the perk then?

I did manage to come up with what I think is a perfectly valid and reasonable solution to this "not-so-amazing" perk. Instead of being
    Increases the chance to gain a skill increase on tradeskills by 10%.
    what if it were to be
    Gives a 10% chance to gain an extra skill increase on tradeskills.
    This change would do a couple things for us. First, it gives us as players something measurable. When we see a crafted item give us an extra skill up point instead of one/three/five, we know it is actually there and working. Secondly, this takes some strain off of leveling with large material items. By getting double the points crafting for example Arctic Wristguards, the player is saved 12 Borean leather, and has lowered the overall cost of leveling the profession.

Overall, I'd say while it is a pretty rough idea, I think it would be a nice change to not only help players with leveling their chosen profession, but also show them that a perk they have worked for is actually working. Thank you for taking the time to read my evaluation and suggestion for this perk.

Edit 1: Changed possible proc of perk to 1 extra point instead of double the points
    Last edited by Gracin; 2011-02-10 at 07:24 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Evián View Post
    I did manage to come up with what I think is a perfectly valid and reasonable solution to this "not-so-amazing" perk. Instead of being
    Increases the chance to gain a skill increase on tradeskills by 10%.
    what if it were to be
    Gives a 10% chance to gain double skill increase on tradeskills.

That sounds like it would be great, but problem is blizz wouldn't want people to use that with the skills that already gain 2+ skills. I guess it would be 10%, but if u got rng luck and could get 10 skills for making 2 items. now that would be awsome!

just my $.02

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eviljk View Post
    That sounds like it would be great, but problem is blizz wouldn't want people to use that with the skills that already gain 2+ skills. I guess it would be 10%, but if u got rng luck and could get 10 skills for making 2 items. now that would be awsome!

just my $.02
    Ahh, see early morning without sleep isn't good for the brain. I completely forgot about 3 and 5 point skill up recipes as you approach 525. I can see how gaing 10 points on one craft could be a little overkill. Well in that case I'll do a little edit to the OP, and change from double the points to a 10% chance to gain an extra point. Still retains the double nature until you get to the 5 point skill ups, but doesn't overdue it upon reaching that mark.

Or do both. Only apply the buff to single point skill ups, or even better, give it a 10% chance to double proc but only on yellows and greens. It would make rolling the dice on at yellow or green more interesting. Chance to fail, chance to succeed or chance to double.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by boseguy22 View Post
    Or do both. Only apply the buff to single point skill ups, or even better, give it a 10% chance to double proc but only on yellows and greens. It would make rolling the dice on at yellow or green more interesting. Chance to fail, chance to succeed or chance to double.
    While that is nice, honestly I think making it only apply to yellow and green kind of removes the point of it being there. I mentioned in my post that most people leveling professions will typically only craft orange recipes which, in my opinion mind you, will only detract from it being a nice "perk".

I could however see orange crafted recipes getting the basic 10% to proc an extra point, while yellow and green crafted items have the 10% to proc double. The only problem with this is the fact that only late profession recipes have any +3 or +5 skill up recipes. While it would be nice if these 3s and 5s were found throughout the entire profession leveling process I definitely won't be requested an entire redesign of the system; merely a small adjustment to one factor.

Keep the good ideas and suggestions coming though. Honestly, the longer this idea rolls around in my head the more I'm considering posting it to the main forums.

10+ Year Old Account
    I like the idea of a double proc, but what about alch where they already get multi procs, could they get double of that, or just 1 extra? I'm sure they thought about the different ways to make this perk, but i do agree it needs to be reworked a bit and applying it to a certain color skill would complicate the perk, and make the decsion about what to make harder.
    IE - have mats for 1 - 2 skill up orange, but also have mats for 1 - yellow patterns, do you pick the orange for the 2 lvls or the yellow for the chance for a double proc...

it's a toss up i guess.

15+ Year Old Account
    No, it's not a double proc of making two of an item. The proc is the skill point itself. Honestly, it shouldn't have to be a choice that we make to either craft an lower chance per point item just for the possibility of not only getting the orginal skill point but and extra skill point as well.

This looks like a great idea mate, Might I suggest posting it in the US official proffesions forum? Might attract a bit more interest that way
    Originally Posted by Blizzard (Source)
    Paladin chat and whispers now appear with sparkles.
    We have officially changed the name of the "rogue" class to “rouge.”
    All dungeon & raid bosses now have legs. If they already had legs, they got more legs.

15+ Year Old Account
    Yea, I'm pretty sure I will. Just holding off for any more suggestions and opinions MMO-Champ users may have.

Deleted
    I think it's a great idea, even if they lowered the chance from 10% to make it so you gain as many extra skills as the perk already gives, it would still be more fun because you would be able to see when the perk actually helps you.
    With the perk the way it is I have no idea whether it helps or not on any given skill-up.

15+ Year Old Account
    I went ahead and posted it on the official professions forums. Here is the link if you want to keep and eye or drop a further suggestion.