Thread: i5 Trade in?

i5 Trade in?

Hi, I got my i5 processor in December, right after Cata was released. It's an i5 760, and it works great. However, now I hear these new Sandy Bridge CPUs are top notch stuff, and I'm regretting purchasing my i5 when I did. I'd hate to throw it away, but is there any trade in deal where you can get credit for the older i5s towards the new one? Overall, is it worth the upgrade, anyways? I know people usually have a tendency to make stuff sound like a huge upgrade even when it isn't.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Some smaller retail stores will do consignment but it depends on your local stores. Remember you will also have to get a new motherboard with the new i5 chip since it is socket 1155 and your current chip is socket 1156.

Quote Originally Posted by Culadin View Post
    Some smaller retail stores will do consignment but it depends on your local stores. Remember you will also have to get a new motherboard with the new i5 chip since it is socket 1155 and your current chip is socket 1156.
    Yeah I'm aware of that. Is it really a noticeable speed upgrade? I don't mean like 3 fps either.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoroash View Post
    Yeah I'm aware of that. Is it really a noticeable speed upgrade? I don't mean like 3 fps either.
    Depends. What is your stance upon overclocking. Do you do it or leave it at stock speeds?

Quote Originally Posted by Zoroash View Post
    It's not really worth the upgrade, especially considering you would have to get a new motherboard as well. Even if you were able to find a store to trade in your old i5 and mobo, you would still probably be getting ripped off.

See for yourself:
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/4083/t...2100-tested/20

Just save your cash for a future upgrade, since right now there is no reason why you should be looking to upgrade what you already have.
    [23:43:22] [P] [85:Bowsjob]: If its between 2 holy pallys its gonna be a gear fight most likely

Your i5-750 is plenty of processor for years to come.

The upgrade might be worth it if you do math intensive operations on a constant basis..... that means not playing games XD.

Video is a Palit GTS450. Main display is a 24" full HD TV. Secondary display is an ACER 19" lcd at 1440x900.

Quote Originally Posted by nwo View Post
    It's not really worth the upgrade, especially considering you would have to get a new motherboard as well. Even if you were able to find a store to trade in your old i5 and mobo, you would still probably be getting ripped off.

See for yourself:
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/4083/t...2100-tested/20
    Just save your cash for a future upgrade, since right now there is no reason why you should be looking to upgrade what you already have.
    OTOH, those are stock-values. Getting the i5-2500K to 4.9GHz and the i5-750 to 4.0GHz would make the gap quite noticable, I imagine.

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisgoat View Post
    OTOH, those are stock-values. Getting the i5-2500K to 4.9GHz and the i5-750 to 4.0GHz would make the gap quite noticable, I imagine.
    I doubt it would be enough to warrant replacing both a CPU and Motherboard. Unless you get almost MSRP for used parts which won't happen.
    red panda red panda red panda!

On topic: I don't know any.

Off topic: keep your 760. There will always come new prosessors... Your're rigt... The Sandy Bridge cpus are quite good. But the chipset on their motherboards aren't at the moment. Not sold in any norwegian webshops.

If you wanted a top notch cpu, why did you go for the 760?

Tip for the future: Upgrade your system 2 months after a new release of cpus, not 2 months before. You will know when if you just read some it-related site a few times a month. Or even check wikipedia or something before you upgrade. Just for the record: Be glad you didn't go for a sandy bridge now... your motherboard would probably be called back, and not expected until late february, early march.

Quote Originally Posted by Asera View Post
    I doubt it would be enough to warrant replacing both a CPU and Motherboard. Unless you get almost MSRP for used parts which won't happen.
    Agreed there, though.

Deleted
    The question is:

Are you struggling with anything that your trying to do?

If the answer is no, then there is no need to upgrade

If you wanted a top notch cpu, why did you go for the 760?
    From a price and performance perspective the 760 was the absoloute best value, over and above this you started hitting increasing diminishing returns for every £1 spent. The fact it overclocked like nothing else was just a bonus.

Herald of the Titans
    15+ Year Old Account
    I run an I3 530 running at 3.8ghz on stock cooling with 8 gig ram and a radeon 5770 on an asus p7h57d-v evo and can maintain 60 fps during raids.. and yes I do have V-synch turned on..

why spend $1600 on a super awesome computer now when you can build one now for $800 and then in 2 years buy another for $800 that will be faster than the $1600 you started with?!

Quote Originally Posted by ishootblanks View Post
    why spend $1600 on a super awesome computer now when you can build one now for $800 and then in 2 years buy another for $800 that will be faster than the $1600 you started with?!
    That's what I always prefer and try to convince others to do the same. Although an i3 would not fit my hardcore multi-tasking needs (simultaneous video encoding/gaming), there are people out there who just want to play games and an i3 is more than enough for 99% of the games at the moment, especially if you know how to OC.
    [23:43:22] [P] [85:Bowsjob]: If its between 2 holy pallys its gonna be a gear fight most likely

Not worth upgrading unless you like to overclock. Even then the sandybridge yes can get to 5ghz on air. But not gonna be stable every day machine like that.

Your i5 would be good for some time yet. Overclock it down the line for some extra zip.