Deleted

Alchemy dead? Or is it just my servers econemy?

As the title says....is alchemy dead for money making?

I have created a spreadsheet with all the mats amounts and types. I have also input the formula needed to tell you how much each flask will cost you in mats (the G for each mat is changeable as per your server). Although I have no knowledge as to where I might be able to upload it for wide use?! (any hints?)

Anyways, I have worked out that on my server, going by the current price of Flask of the Winds (170G per) I would be losing about 25-35G per flask as to if I was to sell the mats as standalone. On my server the mats come to around 200G.

Now I understand Elixir Masters have it slightly better with the procs. However even with the procs I can barely see myself breaking even at these current prices. As the procs for Cata flasks are farely rare (personal experience).

Are any other Alchemists/Elixir masters noticing this trend too? Or is my servers econemy just seriously terrible?

Halatosis

Currently Flask of the Winds cost ~95 Gold on Jaedenar-EU, The mats to make such a flask; 33g40s for Volatile Life(x8), 56g80s for Azshara's Veil(x8), 49g36s for Whiptail(x8) and add Crystal Vial price

I am an elixir master, and I won't earn money on it.

Alchemy nets you ~200g a day from the daily transmute.
    I have 3 alchemists since ~6 days into the expansion. Done daily on each one everyday.
    God I'm rich.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

xmute spec will net you the most profit im pretty sure if you get lucky with procs since there isnt much gold in selling flasks/pots at least on my server

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's the same thing on my server. It's cheaper to buy the flasks outright than the mats.

Even as a flask master I very rarely, if ever proc any extras. I gave up. I found that it's not very profitable at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Blame other alchemists under cutting each other just to make a sale. Best thing is to have an alt or guild mate gather mats for you in order to make a profit. Yet with more people maxing out their professions everyday the prices will continue to go down do to over-surplus in the AH.

Smart alchemists made a fortune already. By being Enchanters aswell ;P

transmutes seem to be the only alch way of making money on my server.

On my server, flasks have not been profitable all expansion, nor have transmuting the new rare gems.

Living Elements transmute is a steady money maker, but the margins have been dropping. I think that the jump in herb spawn nodes combined with more and more people reaching cap means that more and more living element transmutes are happening, whereas the market for other types of volatiles was already a little soft. There just isn't _that_ much crafted gear that people are looking to buy right now.

There are a few potions that seem to be profitable. Not many, and it changes every so often. Treasure Finding potions are still profitable on my server. Deepholme potions were selling for a while, bizarrely. Still don't know what that market was- people who couldn't find the portals in Org and Stormwind, maybe?

Two future options to keep an eye on:
    1) herb spawn rate is up, but as people reach the cap, the number of people selling herbs acquired from casual farming while leveling is going to drop. The new spawn rate may have been intended to offset that. Selling raw materials for alchemists and scribes might be a good bet in a few weeks.
    2) Much more speculative, but I'm guessing that eventually Blizz is going to introduce more craftable epics via content patches, like the Ulduar and ToC dropped recipes. These will probably make use of more of the transmuted metals- truegold and pyrium. If the market for other mats is dead on your server, and you can get mats for truegold or pyrium transmutes cheap, it might be worth it to stockpile a little against the anticipated demand bump when the next batch of recipes drops.

Deleted
    On my server i was able to buy mats at 150g and sell the flasks for 250g

Damn i made a large profit margin from that seeing as i am Elixer Master. Prices have now gone down though, with the massive flow of flasks coming on the AH since 4.0.6

10+ Year Old Account
    to be honest, farm the whiptail and buy the Stormvine and make pots.

On my server one stack of stormvine goes for 100g, and a stack of Tol`vir pots goes for 500g. just farm the whiptail yourself and you may have a profit of 400gold. Works on Kadghar EU !
    AkA Companiet !
    #Wildstar2013

Get a JC, and buy out a ton of obsidium/elementium ore, elementium is most likely cheaper and yields better gems on average so do that. Anyway, go xmute spec and transmute the gems you get into meta or blue gems, depending on what you have mats for and which yields more profit. If you have an herbalist, go farm the herbs needed for blue gems xmute and transmute, cut the blue/meta gems, and rake in the profit. I usually buy a ton of carnelian from the AH if it is at a reasonable price, like around 16- gold, and farm heartblossom. Transmute those into inferno rubies, then get my JC guildy to cut them into Brilliant/Delicate Inferno Rubies since they usually sell the best. I get around 70-80g profit from each gem. Don't forget your daily Life>Air transmute.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnull View Post
    On my server, flasks have not been profitable all expansion, nor have transmuting the new rare gems.

Deepholme potions were selling for a while, bizarrely. Still don't know what that market was- people who couldn't find the portals in Org and Stormwind, maybe?
    The potions sell not because you can go to Deepholme but because you can get from Deepholme back to the capital city.

Flasks became so expensive that most guilds' top priority was to get their cauldrons, which means most likely the flask market will be dead soon if not already. Potions became the new fount of money for alchemists.
    Last edited by Difuid; 2011-02-12 at 08:30 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Alchemy gold making has never been about Flasks. Most realms simply have too much competition to really make flasks worthwhile in the long run. Now most guilds are using Cauldrons as well, so much of the demand for Flasks has gone down substantially. Alchemy has always been about Transmute spec for making gold. I'm pulling in easily 1k per day from my 3 transmute spec alchemists' Living Elements cooldown.