Thread: Dear Moderators

Dear Moderators

Hello

I've been following the posts in the Video Games forum for the last week or so, as I'm a fan of Rift and will likely play it at launch. I have kept my posts constructive and informative but it's quite the struggle in the face of so much... troll? Both sides are as guilty though, both MMOs are great games and I tried to highlight this in my own thread.

The point of this post is that creating a dedicated Rift forum at this point would be stupid as for all I know the game may crash and burn a month after launch. However, I am not really a fan of this single thread business. No one has really created a single post containing all the good info, and if all the Rift threads were combined we'd have a 100+ page thread, most of which will be glossed over because people can't be bothered to swim through two dozen troll/flame posts to find useful information.

However, why not create a dedicated Beta MMO Games forum and let people post what the hell they want as much as they want. Let the moderators go crazy stickying the best and most informative threads and deleting repeat posts and banning those who merely troll or flame. Move all existing beta MMO threads there (Rift, GW2, Tera etc).

This way there is no favouritism, the video games forum settles down, there is some place to hype all the new MMOs, and the mods can hopefully deal with all the flamers and trolls in such a fashion that this new Beta MMO forum becomes a nice place to live. I would honestly post some guidelines along the lines of my other post.

What do you think? You are going to see this sort of behaviour for every semi-decent new MMO published, I figure this way we can hype the games and whatnot without upsetting the rest of the MMO-C community.

ALTERNATIVELY

How would the Rifters out there like forum for MMO Champion Rift fans? I messed around with a style last night and made a demo forum. Anyone interested in our own forum where we can spam away (I will moderate (with help) though, stickying good threads and deleting repeated ones).

Here's a pic:

Deleted
    tbh, looks like an good idea
    i also wuld like a gw2 and other mmo forums lol
    Last edited by mmoc167fc6d419; 2011-02-12 at 09:56 AM.

Nicely done.

/signed

Good suggestion, may help with beta spam and community upsets.
    If you have happened upon the "Off-Topic" thread because it was on the front page, you can opt not to see "Off-Topic" threads by clicking the box labeled "Show Off-Topics"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Narghile View Post
    Nicely done.

/signed

Good suggestion, may help with beta spam and community upsets.
    indeed, im just hoping the moderators can see the point in this lol

anyone going to take a bet on how long it is before this one gets locked too? i give it 2 pages and maybe a ban for the OP for reposing a topic already responded to twice.

Quote Originally Posted by maldias View Post
    anyone going to take a bet on how long it is before this one gets locked too? i give it 2 pages and maybe a ban for the OP for reposing a topic already responded to twice.
    Link to other posts? No one has suggested this afaik, and I don't think I am going to get banned for trying to help them solve a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarien View Post
    Link to other posts? No one has suggested this afaik, and I don't think I am going to get banned for trying to help them solve a problem.
    a forum dedicated to MMOs in beta, on a site focused on a single MMO, is not a good idea when those MMOs generally start their own forums.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by maldias View Post
    you just stay away please.. that's just wrong that your doing..

a beta forum section would be nice imho - but effort would be needed to keep the trolls away

15+ Year Old Account
    Here's the major issue I can see. The majority of these moderators are here to moderate a WoW forum. That is what draws the users here, that is why before becoming mods they came here because of WoW. I'm not saying they won't play Rift, or that the all hate it with a flaming passion. I'm saying they chose to do their mod duty because this is a WoW website, and by adding a beta forum or just solely a Rift forum you are asking them to do something they didn't sign up for. You are asking them to mod a forum for a game/several games they know nothing about, and may not care about at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    i like the idea some times is nice to be able to see whats outside wow, is hard to do it some times when people answer to most non-wow treads is a flamewar

Quote Originally Posted by Evián View Post
    . You are asking them to mod a forum for a game/several games they know nothing about, and may not care about at all.
    you make a point there maybe they could look for "new" moderators specific for those forums ? not sure if thats even posible
    Last edited by lopus; 2011-02-12 at 10:09 AM.

Here's the major issue I can see. The majority of these moderators are here to moderate a WoW forum. That is what draws the users here, that is why before becoming mods they came here because of WoW. I'm not saying they won't play Rift, or that the all hate it with a flaming passion. I'm saying they chose to do their mod duty because this is a WoW website, and by adding a beta forum or just solely a Rift forum you are asking them to do something they didn't sign up for. You are asking them to mod a forum for a game/several games they know nothing about, and may not care about at all.
    There are already six non-wow related forums. The whole idea is two fold: Make a new forum where these beta hype threads that seem to irritate certain people so much can be contained in a forum dedicated to those types of thread, and to make moderation easier by having a moderator sticky useful threads (to be unstickied as soon as the game goes live and beta is over so that there aren't too many stickies) and lock down all the repeat posts/ban the trolls (should be less trolls since the forum is for hyping, most the complaints here are 'but its a wow forum).

You're wrong in that regard, we picked which forums we moderate and if we were to make a RIFT forum only the mods who wanted to moderate there would do so.
    Regardless, this has been brought up before and the answer is, we're going to wait and see if after the game is released and if there is still a very strong support for it we'll consider putting a RIFT forum in, but please make suggestion threads in the proper forum, we have a Suggestions & Feedback forums for a reason.

15+ Year Old Account
    Here's the problem i have about having new mods for the specific forums. If you have that many people volunteering to do this job, why not do it on a game specific site, one that you users wanting this create, or one of the many that there already are. I understand you guys seem to want all you gaming needs under one roof. I don't understand why exactly, it isn't a tho it is anymore difficult or time consuming to visit a separate website.

Also, lets assume you get a separate Beta forums. At what point does you needs for beta content stop? Do you expect front page posts about every little change like Bibi does with WoW?

I'm not saying in anyway that I'm against Beta/Rift/Whatever side forums, I'm posing questions that obviously need answered.

And to Fid, I am totally aware you when you apply you choose where you would like to mod, but that goes back to why not mod a specific Rift/Whatever site instead? I mean hell, I'm considering the next time Mod applications are available applying myself, but if I wanted to mod Rift forums I wouldn't choose MMO-Champ even if Rift were to get a sub forum. I would go to/create a specific Rift site to mod at.
    Last edited by Gracin; 2011-02-12 at 10:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiddlesnarf View Post
    Regardless, this has been brought up before and the answer is, we're going to wait and see if after the game is released and if there is still a very strong support for it we'll consider putting a RIFT forum in, but please make suggestion threads in the proper forum, we have a Suggestions & Feedback forums for a reason.
    You didn't read the OP properly. I didn't ask for a RIFT forum, I asked for a Beta MMO forum for ALL games currently in beta.

Quote Originally Posted by -Dalliah- View Post
    Put it in Suggestion and Feedback.
    The admins read all of the threads there and they are the ones to decide on this.
    Personally, I think a MMO Beta forum section would be good.
    But, Video Games kinda covers it all up. We'll have to let the admins decide.
    Done, feel free to delete this entire thread