Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Moonkins with 4.0.6

What did we gain from the 4.0.6 patch?

+ 2.5% - 3.5% damage due to the mastery buff

More damage, radius on mushrooms and instant cast. (only usable with a lot of mobs since you still lose at least 3 globals)

- 5% overall damage from the moonfury nerf

Result: I think I prefer to go back to patch 4.0.3

Do you guys think this was justified? were you toping the meters on non gimmick fights? (don´t count kills while starfall was broken)

Deleted
    I think without starfall (its totally broken atm) and 3-4+ mobs our dps aint that good atm ^^. Not sure about mastery stuff and theorycrafting about stats but. Wer pretty gimped now atm. Must admit im not a hardcore KFC but I wouldn't call myself a PuG noob either.

illubear-kfc

Moonkins did ok in 4.0.3 was happy to see a litle buff, but now that i see what happend i think people in blizzard have no idea what are they doing... If they didnt do nothing i would be ok with it but getting a buff waiting for it 2 damn months of ptr testing just to get a nerf 3 days after the patch thats so anoing...

I mean isnt the public test relm to test stuff like class balance after the changes they make? And the starfall bug is it realy that hard to make them fall faster and drop no more no less than 20??? Didnt any one see that there are more stars than intended in the PTR? This patch was for ever on the test realms and its one of the most bugged i remeber.

This is a nerf from 4.0.3 ... and the moonkin need a buff not a nerf >

Moonkins always had problems against melee and and they nerfed the instant roots, so we with a weak and short barkskin, and with no fear, major mitigation (bubbles), disarm, and so on.... well, we are a easy melee target... even with nature's grasp that we need to be hardly hitted b4 it triggers...

With changes like: "Arcane and Nature damage by 10%, down from 15%" and the bugged "Starfall"... well

Blizzard hate moonkins... thats it

Thumbs down

"Arcane and Nature damage by 10%, down from 15%" This does not make sense. I was happy for the patch and now it's worse than before

Way I see it, the net of the 4.0.6 Mastery and Moonfury changes to date is close to net zero in terms of sustained single-target dps. Perhaps a slight loss. TBD, if a properly fixed 4.0.6 Starfall will indeed "drop stars at a slightly faster rate" on a single target -- this may make all of the changes net neutral single target. That's assuming a single-target where you don't move. Any single target with extended movement and opportunity to Lunar Shower spam within an Eclipse we may still come out very slightly ahead.

Multi-target, assuming you know what you are doing and can manage Eclipse states, the net changes of 4.0.6 are a buff. 33% buffed Mastery propping up what was already a strong tab-dot AoE rotation and the 30% buff to WM directly (33% Mastery props it up even more indirectly with good Eclipse management) are good things. Add in the increased range making WM more easy to target, and AoE got stronger post 4.0.6 (even after the Moonfury changes).

I'll clearly get a better sense next Tuesday when the raid week starts again but I don't expect to drop off really -- I expect to stay largely neutral to maybe slightly upward compared to pre-4.0.6 numbers.

All of that said, I still think the Moonfury nerf was a bit of a knee jerk reaction. When the 33% buff to Mastery was planned pre-4.0.6, there were weeks/months of data to look at and clearly, with great time to reflect and plan, it was felt a ~5% buff or so to our existing damage would be ok.

Starfall goes wonky for a few days, makes it look like we got substantially higher buff over the course of 3-4 days of play, and without great reflection or planning, a 7% no wait, a 9%, no wait, a 5% overall damage nerf is applied. Imho, leaving Moonfury alone and fixing Starfall would've left us ~5% or so above 4.0.3 -- which should've been right within the plan and expectations.

Such is life, I don't necessarily see a reversion of the nerf but I really feel we should've let it go at least another week of data with a fixed Starfall before tweaking. I think that would've revealed that we recieved the ~5% buff that should've been expected when Mastery was buffed and we all would've moved on happily.
    Moonkin View Raid Encounter Videos can be found at: Moonkin PoV Vids and Arythorn Youtube Channel
    Calc's Moonkin Guide can be found at: The Moonkin Repository - Calculated Balance PvE Guide
    Calculatéd Armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...lated/advanced

Well...I just have no idea what blizzard is doing anymore. They keep changing things around and hot fixing things and then reverting it...then going back, and then reverting it back again. These people really need to hire more solid thinking developers. Feels like they just cannot make up their mind and this has and will anger more players. Not like they give a crap. They will continue to have millons of people playing this game but this game has started to lost it's taste. I gave up having hope for moonkin. I enjoy playing left for dead 2 more than this game at the moment. Man do I miss TBC expansion...

I am not sure what I am missing, but before the patch I was doing 8-12k in heroics, and after the patch I was still doing 8-12k in heroics. I am either doing it wrong, or it wasn't that significant.

Doubt you are doing anything really wrong, Tyraena. Heroics aren't that great place to test your dps expect when on bosses. If you can pull above 10k on a boss, then you are doing better than most. I did notice a small dps increase to my boomkin after patch and this is without using starfall which is like the most screwed up spell in the game that seems to never have worked in the first place. I still think wild mushroom being instant isnt that great still since it takes a good 3 global coolsdowns away. They should just remove that and make it then at least somewhat fun oh well. Can't expect boomkins to be better than mages/locks I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by JD3K View Post
    Moonkins always had problems against melee and and they nerfed the instant roots, so we with a weak and short barkskin, and with no fear, major mitigation (bubbles), disarm, and so on.... well, we are a easy melee target... even with nature's grasp that we need to be hardly hitted b4 it triggers...

With changes like: "Arcane and Nature damage by 10%, down from 15%" and the bugged "Starfall"... well

Blizzard hate moonkins... thats it
    well welcome to shaman world we are 1 shoted class

Deleted
    I dont know why you say that it's not a significant net loss in our single target dps.
    The mastery buff was not really an awesome buff, it sounds much better when you say a 33% increase
    than a change from 1.5% to 2% more damage in eclipse per mastery point because we will always try to
    stack int and haste above all else.
    The net mastery buff has been calculated at 2.5% to 3.5% (didn't find anything conclusive on EJ but found some info on graymatterwow.blogspot.com)

This nerf is an undisputable 5% less dps (maybe sligthly less since I dont think the treants would be affected).

1.5 to 2.5% less dps is lot considering we were not topping the meters before.

I find mushrooms a little meh... they are awesome if you can place them precisely where you want them (tank kites the mobs where you want them)
    while you place all mushrooms for the 3 global cooldowns bearing in mind that if you try to place them a little too soon you will end up clicking on a mob or an ally
    having to click on the mushroom again.
    That beeing said, I am loving them for the halfus HC fight, not so much for Maloriak hc

Let's see:
    Lolshrooms buff (use for pve? none that's right. Damage on resil targets? lame, that's right)
    Lolmastery buff (still don't like it, we are not 100% of time in eclipse mode. Useless compared to pure dps increase for other classes)

All damage nerf by 5%
    No more insta roots (glyph)
    Star Fall epic nerf

Gimme back 4.0.3 qq

Quote Originally Posted by Tyraena View Post
    I am not sure what I am missing, but before the patch I was doing 8-12k in heroics, and after the patch I was still doing 8-12k in heroics. I am either doing it wrong, or it wasn't that significant.
    Maby you didnt notice but pre patch you had a 5% luck of the draw buff or none because it was bugged now you have 15% dmg buff assuming you pug heroics so if you do the same dmg/dps you got a nerf also like stated above its not realy a good place to test your dps.

Pre 4.0.6 moonkin were top 5 dps. after the patch we were top 2. after the nerf we are top 5. Moonkin are still in an incredibly good place.

Edit: http://stateofdps.com/

I don't know about you guys, but I think some people are overreacting on the 5% nerf. It wasn't really that big, did a guild random dungeon today and I am still pulling 18-20k on bosses, WITHOUT luck of the draw, the guild run was with 5 people.

On single/two target raids today I am still pulling decent dps, matching close to stateofdps charts.

Trash pulls/multi target bosses are easy to top with careful mushroom planning. Very easy on maloriak if you know where he jumps to when green phase is coming out. Dropping mushrooms prepull etc.

Instead of reforging mastery to crit, you just reforge crit to mastery and planning of eclipse phases just becomes much more important for every boss fight. Because with the mastery buff our eclipsed spells do a lot of damage now.

But I do agree with calculated that they were too hasty on this 5% nerf, seeing as our numbers skyrocketed due to that starfall bug. Oh well.
    Last edited by koistyle; 2011-02-12 at 06:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurawin View Post
    Pre 4.0.6 moonkin were top 5 dps. after the patch we were top 2. after the nerf we are top 5. Moonkin are still in an incredibly good place.

Edit: http://stateofdps.com/
    That shows the last two weeks.. the patch has been out 3 days... and the hotfix only 2.

the data is accurate for post 4.0.6. The hotfix won't show there yet. just take 5% dmg off the average and compare us to the rest.

with my hunter 348ilv 16k dps on raid boss my druid 354ilv 13k i think use my old main hunter ... if the top dps is aoe, nerf aoe not the global damage

I have lost all of my faith in the Moonkin after I saw the Starfall nerf...

Thanks for this awesome signature tazsar!