Laptop ->HDMI->TV

So I just got a 32" LCD TV (i know get with the times right?), and was looking into being able to use it as a monitor for my laptop, specifically for gaming. I already know how to hook it up to watch a movie etc. through HDMI, but I'm wondering if anyone has tried to use it as strictly a gaming monitor. I have googled around and found guides that are years old, still talking about using s-video connections, etc. They also mention that the resolution is crappy due to limiting factors in your TV. AS stated though, this is all guides from years past.

SO i guess my question is how does one go about doing this nowadays? My TV is 720p, I run Windows 7. I assume i have to make some adjustments in display upon hooking it up?

PS In my tv settings i there is also an option for "game mode" but it is greyed out. I'm assuming it becomes available when i have an input.

If your laptop has HDMI output then you have to do nothing but connect it and MAYBE adjust the display size, since TVs still like to overscan (chops off the outer edges of the screen). The size can be adjusted in your display drivers. As far as your laptop is concerned, any HDMI display is almost identical to a regular PC monitor, you have nothing to worry about.

Read the manual......
    I got lucky with my TV, was consumers best buy & choice. As well having the PC option, in other words I can straight hook up my computer to my tv with no special cords.

But there are a variety of things to consider....
    1) Video Card
    a. what outputs do you have
    2) Your TV
    a. what inputs are you able to use

Some TVs take straight VGA cables, others HDMI, and as well S-connections. (or whatever they are called, the round ones) SO you might have to buy an adapter. Those are the few ways I know of..... But I know there are others.

Thanks for the replies.
    I have HDMI output on laptop, and also HDMI input on TV. I have hooked it up already and watched movies that i have *cough* legally downloaded, and it works fine in that capacity. I am wondering about the resolution issue if i try and play a GAME however. I had never really thought about it but a guildie mentioned that he was going to do it for wow, and I had just bought my TV and thought "huh, wonder if that will work for gaming"

It'll work fine for gaming. Just make sure you set the game to run at your TV's native resolution (1280x720 in your case).

Hey furblog. I read that is the resolution to run it at elsewhere, but in looking at my specs i get this

Display Format 720p
    Digital Tuner ATSC
    Ports HDMI Yes, VGA Yes, Component Video Yes, Composite Video Yes, Digital Audio Yes
    Display Type LCD TV
    Aspect Ratio 16:9
    Resolution 1366 x 768
    Green Compliance Energy Star
    Display Refresh Rate 60 Hz
    Diagonal Screen Size 32

So i should still run it at 1280*720?

Also when i connect my laptop to the tv with HDMI, In windows 7 do i have to go to screen resolution and mess around with any settings at all? Can i create like a new profile so it remembers the settings for the TV vs when im just using my laptop?

10+ Year Old Account
    If the TV's native res is 1366x768 you should make sure that is the resolution is set on through your laptop as well. You will want things to be sharp and have no image scaling involved.

If you cannot set this resolution, try another HDMI port. Some TV's only offers 1:1 pixelmapping on a dedicated "PC"/"DVI"-HDMI port. On some TV's you can only set 1360x768, which is OK as well if the pixel mapping remains (you will have tiny black borders on the left and right side).
    Last edited by Wries; 2011-02-12 at 04:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wries View Post
    If the TV's native res is 1366x768 you should make sure that is the resolution is set on through your laptop as well. You will want things to be sharp and have no image scaling involved.

If you cannot set this resolution, try another HDMI port. Some TV's only offers 1:1 pixelmapping on a dedicated "PC"/"DVI"-HDMI port. On some TV's you can only set 1360x768, which is OK as well if the pixel mapping remains (you will have tiny black borders on the left and right side).
    So reading my tv's owner manual, it says to hook up to a pc use DVI-HDMI hook up. However i thought HDMI on my laptop would provide a better connection? Is there any way to check on my laptop to see if there is a DVI port? all i see is like a pin connector for a VGA cable (im assuming) and my hdmi connection.

---------- Post added 2011-02-12 at 11:56 AM ----------

So after playing around with my settings on my pc, it works fine going from HDMI on laptop to HDMI on my tv, except one little thing. The edges need to be trimmed in by like an inch.(meaning on my TV, the display from my laptop extends a tad outside the tv's display borders) I have searched about how to do this but to no avail. ANyone have any ideas?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ottovon View Post
    So reading my tv's owner manual, it says to hook up to a pc use DVI-HDMI hook up. However i thought HDMI on my laptop would provide a better connection? Is there any way to check on my laptop to see if there is a DVI port? all i see is like a pin connector for a VGA cable (im assuming) and my hdmi connection.

---------- Post added 2011-02-12 at 11:56 AM ----------

So after playing around with my settings on my pc, it works fine going from HDMI on laptop to HDMI on my tv, except one little thing. The edges need to be trimmed in by like an inch.(meaning on my TV, the display from my laptop extends a tad outside the tv's display borders) I have searched about how to do this but to no avail. ANyone have any ideas?
    To answer the last section of your post first. You have achieved an overscan issue which means you have failed with getting the TV to do a 1:1 pixelmapping. You could probably fix this through nvidia/ati control panel but the picture will remain blurry and unclear compared to a PC-monitor.

HDMI is basically DVI with sound. Check if any HDMI port on the TV has the text "DVI" intil it. You WANT to achieve 1:1 pixelmapping when playing a game/reading any kind of text and shouldn't settly until you have achieved that.

Furthermore you should just say your TV model name so we can google the manual and reach a specific conclusion.
    Last edited by Wries; 2011-02-12 at 06:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wries View Post
    To answer the last section of your post first. You have achieved an overscan issue which means you have failed with getting the TV to do a 1:1 pixelmapping. You could probably fix this through nvidia/ati control panel but the picture will remain blurry and unclear compared to a PC-monitor.

HDMI is basically DVI with sound. Check if any HDMI port on the TV has the text "DVI" intil it. You WANT to achieve 1:1 pixelmapping when playing a game/reading any kind of text and shouldn't settly until you have achieved that.

Furthermore you should just say your TV model name so we can google the manual and reach a specific conclusion.
    Hey thanks for your help.
    It is a Samsung LN32C350D1D.
    I went into my vid card settings (cataylst control center) and adjusted it so it fit. However it still doesnt seem as clear as what my laptop monitor is. However I noticed that I do in fact have a HDMI port and a HDMI/DVI on the back of my TV. I am going to try and plug it in to that and see how it goes. Should this be the port I use for anything dealing with my laptop? Like even not for games, just watching Dvd's from laptop-> tv?
    Also another thing of note is when i press info on my remote while HDMI is the source i get a reading of 1920*1080 @60hz, even though my laptop screen resolution is 1366*768.

---------- Post added 2011-02-12 at 01:10 PM ----------

quick update
    Switched from HDMI to HDMI/DVI. it set my resolution automatically for 1360*768 on both laptop and TV. Fired up WoW (even though thats not really game i want to play on it), set wow's resolution to 1360*768 and PRESTO. Looks sweet. Can't believe I had it in the HDMI this whole time thinking that was the highest quality I was going to get from my Laptop. Thanks for your help all