Feral Tank Dps Question

For my feral tanks out there. What is your typical dps looking like (excluding gimmicky fights like Halfus)? I find that I'm only doing like 6-7k on most boss fights, but our prot pally is doing anywhere from 9-11. I know it's hard to judge since there are adds on certain ones and that clearly favors prot, but just trying to see how far off base my own is.

6-7k is generally what I've been seeing as well. I will say that the only fights that I looked at this number were halfus(I'm on him) and Maloriak. Both of which I assume I'm losing dps from having to interupt. I never checked what I did on council.

Quote Originally Posted by Fudge View Post
    For my feral tanks out there. What is your typical dps looking like (excluding gimmicky fights like Halfus)? I find that I'm only doing like 6-7k on most boss fights, but our prot pally is doing anywhere from 9-11. I know it's hard to judge since there are adds on certain ones and that clearly favors prot, but just trying to see how far off base my own is.
    I'm doing 10.5k. So I don't really know what to tell you.

15+ Year Old Account
    if there is trash (aoe) invluvled you will see warrior and pally (and probely also dk but havent seen them in a while) do a lot more dps

last time i did a 5 min heroric whit a prot warriro he was doing 13K dps i had a hard time to beat him.

but 6 -7K dps seems fine on single target, if it are 3 targets use bezerg / magle / maul spam thne you cna do 25K+ easely
    TREE DURID IS 4 PEE

AOE wise, if say for instance the Paladin has 2-3 more adds on him than yourself, then he will be doing more DPS, because he Vengeance will be higher? But on a typical boss fight (I'll take blood council as me and our tank obviously tank 2 different targets at the same time) i will average out at about 7-8k in an average of 351 gear, whilst he can do about 7... He has better gear than me but he has geared for Stamina and he generally has 2 stamina trinkets on. Where as i swap and change depending on how much damage i'm taking. But generally, i use HC Tia's Grace on nearly all fights.

On an almost stand still fight, even when interupts are involved, we should be getting about 7k ish for entry level raiding. So i'd say your in a good spot. As soon as you get your hands on an epic weapon, you'll soon notice the difference i'm sure

Quote Originally Posted by Katarn View Post
    I'm doing 10.5k. So I don't really know what to tell you.
    Would it be possible to ask for a gear-list and some tips on rotation here, if you averaging on 10k+ on a regular boss-tanking fight?

Personally I find myself between 7k and 8k (seems to be on par with my paladin tanking buddy), with the exact same "rotation" as before the patch:
    FFF -> Mangle -> (Mangle on cooldown) -> 3xLac asap -> Pulv -> 1xLac -> Keep Demo Roar up ->Make sure 3xLac before Pulv needs refresh, use Thrash otherwise -> FFF if no rage available

Examples from this week (10n):
    Chimaeron - 6.5k
    Atramedes - 7.5k
    Magmaw - 13k
    Defense System - 8.5k
    Maloriak - 8.5k
    Twilight Ascendant Council - 7k
    (Halfus - 18.5k)

This is about ~50% drop for me from pre-4.0.6, on those "low dps fights". And I see people saying bear dps shouldn't be too severely affected, so I can't help asking myself if I am doing something wrong now!

1) I have Maul macro'ed, maybe I should consider not doing this, and avoid rage starvation, which I am sometimes experiencing...
    2) I am kinda low on Expertise atm., at only 7... So I see a lot of attacks dodged/parried... Also my hit rating is not capped, giving me ~2.5% chance to miss... Should exp (and hit rating) be higher on our prio list now after 4.0.6? After a certain level of hp (say... 165k), maybe even worth dropping stamina over (with gems)? With 2 stamina-trinkets, I am currently at 180k+ (I do swap with agility-trinkets on appropriate fights), so I think it would be safe to drop some of it.
    3) Should Swipe be used in single-target rotation?

On AOE-fights, I just get laughed at by our paladin... Say when pulling a pack of 8 and I open with Swipe or Thrash, I am already behind and have to struggle really hard to hold more than 1 or 2 mobs... I switch targets and Mangles + Lac, but I end up losing the others to the pally and struggle with finding the time (and rage) to use Swipe and Thrash (which basically does nothing with the who-attacks-which-tank-situation anyway). While this does not technically belong in a bear dps thread, it is still one of my major concerns at the moment. On such pulls, my own dps is laughable (without Berserk), while the paladin easily pulls 15k to 20k blindfolded...

With Berserk ofc, the situation changes - but I don't think Bear aoe tanking should be tuned around a 3 min cooldown!

I used to get an average of 10-11k on each boss fight, dependent on how much I got hit ofc for the Vengeance buff, but pretty consistent. Now I get like 8-9k, so I'm not far ahead of you :P But as long as you hold threat, it shouldn't be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Drihan View Post
    But as long as you hold threat, it shouldn't be a problem.
    I kind of disagree, because if fixing a L2P -issue can increase your dps by 1-2k, then it is really worth looking into! Further into the expansion, the gap between tank tps and dps tps is likely to narrow, which means that ignoring the issue in T11 will just make it come back and chew on your behind later. And having a kill instead of a 200k wipe is also nice!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kvitso View Post
    I kind of disagree, because if fixing a L2P -issue can increase your dps by 1-2k, then it is really worth looking into! Further into the expansion, the gap between tank tps and dps tps is likely to narrow, which means that ignoring the issue in T11 will just make it come back and chew on your behind later. And having a kill instead of a 200k wipe is also nice!
    and tank dps does matter on bosses whit enrage timers
    TREE DURID IS 4 PEE

Quote Originally Posted by kvitso View Post
    On AOE-fights, I just get laughed at by our paladin... Say when pulling a pack of 8 and I open with Swipe or Thrash, I am already behind and have to struggle really hard to hold more than 1 or 2 mobs... I switch targets and Mangles + Lac, but I end up losing the others to the pally and struggle with finding the time (and rage) to use Swipe and Thrash (which basically does nothing with the who-attacks-which-tank-situation anyway). While this does not technically belong in a bear dps thread, it is still one of my major concerns at the moment. On such pulls, my own dps is laughable (without Berserk), while the paladin easily pulls 15k to 20k blindfolded...
    If you're having trouble with AOE pulls (either in heroics or raids), just swap out a tanking trinket for a trinket with expertise (like Left Eye of Rajh). Sure, your health will go down a bit, but healers should keep you up fine. If you don't want to do that, just eat expertise food. Or just use an expertise elixer up till the boss before you flask up. If your expertise is in the high 20's or low 30's, you should be completely fine with trash packs. Then, you'll give your damn pally tank the last laugh.

Last night on Maloriak (gimmick fight to a degree, due to green vial berserk spam on adds) I was doing 11k. On Valiona and Theralion, I was pulling around 8k.

Would it be possible to ask for a gear-list and some tips on rotation here, if you averaging on 10k+ on a regular boss-tanking fight?
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ielle/advanced

The two missing trinkets are Fluid Death and H-Tia's Grace.

FFF -> Mangle -> (Mangle on cooldown) -> 3xLac asap -> Pulv -> 1xLac -> Keep Demo Roar up ->Make sure 3xLac before Pulv needs refresh, use Thrash otherwise -> FFF if no rage available
    This is pretty much it.

Twilight Ascendant Council - 7k
    Unfortunately I don't have logs for BWD after the re-buff to Mangle and Maul. However I was doing 7.3k on Ascendant Council. That being said, Council is a terrible fight for evaluating your DPS/TPS. For perspective I did 8.4k on our previous kill before 4.0.6.

1) I have Maul macro'ed, maybe I should consider not doing this, and avoid rage starvation, which I am sometimes experiencing...
    Use a nomod macro so you can turn it off and on at will.

2) I am kinda low on Expertise atm., at only 7... So I see a lot of attacks dodged/parried... Also my hit rating is not capped, giving me ~2.5% chance to miss... Should exp (and hit rating) be higher on our prio list now after 4.0.6? After a certain level of hp (say... 165k), maybe even worth dropping stamina over (with gems)? With 2 stamina-trinkets, I am currently at 180k+ (I do swap with agility-trinkets on appropriate fights), so I think it would be safe to drop some of it.
    No. That being said I am going to look at the difference in mitigation between reforging Haste to Expertise and Haste to Dodge once you have high levels of Mastery. If it turns out to be not much (especially considering I have 40% dodge right now fully buffed), Dodge may be doing more harm than good once you get a lot of it.

3) Should Swipe be used in single-target rotation?
    No.

On AOE-fights, I just get laughed at by our paladin...
    Bear AoE is still gimp compared to other tanks. This hasn't changed.

Im stuck at 8.5-10.5 on single targets without berserk. usualy around 13-14k with multi targets no berserk, and have hit over 33k with berserk, maul spam on a 4 target pull. This is all since the nerf and subsequent hotfix to our bears. It all depends on the LotD buff and whos in the party. 15% LotD + hunter 10% + warlock 3% + might = ALOT more damage in a heroic than a group with ppl not specced into those things and no LotD. Try to get a run with ppl who give you the good stuff as opposed to those that just bring things that dont matter to tanks ... like int... spi... stam if youre geared...