Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account

Phobia of "a part of the room you can't see"

I don't know the name of this phobia and I can't seem to find it, but lately I've been thinking a lot about it. For example, every time I go into the bathroom and the shower curtains are closed I just have to open them because not seeing a part of a room makes me uncomfortable. Another thing, when I was on vacation once there was these curtains covering the side of the bed so you could close them off entirely, however that makes me uncomfortable as well, so I simply slept with them open. I think it's because there is a potential "possibility" of somebody jumping you from behind the place you can't see, even though you KNOW there is nobody there.

Anyone have the same phobia? Know anyone who does? Is it common?

I have a phobia of falling into the sky, which I've also never found a word for. Consider first if not seeing part of a room gives you crippling fear, discomfort isn't on the same level of a phobia. If this is the case, it is possible you have a phobia that "doesn't exist," like I do, though I wouldn't expect it to be at all common, or they'd have a word for it.
    Last edited by Lysah; 2011-02-12 at 03:00 PM.

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's not a crippling fear, but it's causing a pretty high level of discomfort. When I was younger I couldn't sleep facing the wall, I always slept facing the room because I knew I could see the room just by opening my eyes.

15+ Year Old Account
    I've been looking for it but can't find anything of the name yet. I sort of have the same thing, but not a phobia, it doesn't scare me but it is a compulsion that I must have a look, more curiosity than anything. Probably stemming from when I was a kid and I thought 2 black hounds lived behind the curtains of my hallway at night lol

Quote Originally Posted by Khanjin View Post
    It's not a crippling fear, but it's causing a pretty high level of discomfort. When I was younger I couldn't sleep facing the wall, I always slept facing the room because I knew I could see the room just by opening my eyes.
    It could just not be a phobia =p
    When I look at an open sky (the worst is standing at the bottom of a tall object and looking straight up to the top of it (damn you Washington Monument!)), my heart rate explodes, blood pressure spikes, I'll get dizzy and pass out...legitimate physical terror that I can't really do anything about.

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xenaros View Post
    I've been looking for it but can't find anything of the name yet. I sort of have the same thing, but not a phobia, it doesn't scare me but it is a compulsion that I must have a look, more curiosity than anything. Probably stemming from when I was a kid and I thought 2 black hounds lived behind the curtains of my hallway at night lol
    Hehe I've also been thinking about what has caused the discomfort, but I really can't think of anything. I might have suppressed it or something.

10+ Year Old Account
    I only have this phobia when I play first person shooter/games lmao. Like "Hrrrgghh, I don't wanna see straight ahead, I want to see what's behind me!"
    - Ezidran

I used to do the same thing as the OP, still slightly bugs me, but I got over it.
    I have plenty of phobias though; horses, heights, dirty wet dishes, and a crippling fear of spiders.

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lysah View Post
    It could just not be a phobia =p
    When I look at an open sky (the worst is standing at the bottom of a tall object and looking straight up to the top of it (damn you Washington Monument!)), my heart rate explodes, blood pressure spikes, I'll get dizzy and pass out...legitimate physical terror that I can't really do anything about.
    Yeah, it's not that bad, I just get very tense.

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe you've just been playing a little too much dead space?

I don't know the name of this phobia and I can't seem to find it, but lately I've been thinking a lot about it. For example, every time I go into the bathroom and the shower curtains are closed I just have to open them because not seeing a part of a room makes me uncomfortable. Another thing, when I was on vacation once there was these curtains covering the side of the bed so you could close them off entirely, however that makes me uncomfortable as well, so I simply slept with them open. I think it's because there is a potential "possibility" of somebody jumping you from behind the place you can't see, even though you KNOW there is nobody there.

Anyone have the same phobia? Know anyone who does? Is it common?
    Oh good, I thought I was weird.

Or maybe we're both weird. Let's be weird together

Yea, I open shower curtains. I always disregarded it as a pet peeve moreso than a phobia, though.

Always remember

"just 'cause you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're not really there, waiting to get you!"

:P

Hey mate ive been having the exact same fobia as u, i also NEED to have my head away from the window, and the door closed...
    just wanted u to know it might not be that strange afterall, even though im the only i know that has this fobia (or used to be xD)

I was the same way. No idea if there is a name for it though.

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryostasis View Post
    Always remember

"just 'cause you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're not really there, waiting to get you!"

:P
    Thanks, that's very helpful... D:

This sounds a lot like a very common fear of the dark(unknown) that usually fades as you grow older. If it doesn't go away you could probably force to by challenging and confronting it.

Deleted
    Cool, so I'm not the only one with this, and I think this is a small form of paranoia (Although from what I've seen everybody has paranoia in some form)

i did have that "fear" of the unknown before but ive outgrown it mostly... sometimes i still have to open my eyes while washing my hair in the shower just to see that there is nobody comming at me.
    warp field to weaken its armor, let it close, then tech armor! - Turian hipster

Deleted
    What you're describing aren't all separate phobias, like the Behind-shower-curtain-phobia would be different from the Behind-the-door-or-under-the-bed-phobia
    The term for what you're looking at is "irrational thoughts", widely common and having absolutely nothing to do with repressed memories, childhood trauma or something. I'm hardly an expert on how to get rid of them, I just study psychology and irrational thoughts are one of the core issues to get rid of easily by cognitive behavioral therapy. If it reaches a level where you feel heavily stressed on a daily basis, this would actually be too long to describe here but there are several easy trainings to help you not to let these thoughts jump into your mind. If psychotherapy wasn't so socially stigmatized I'd say just go see a therapist, it's not that big a deal.
    Unless of course it's not that annoying for you, in that case - just don't open the freaking curtain - STOP IT!
    (I'd love to post a link here but the board won't let me so just go on youtube and search for "Mad TV Bob Newhart Skit - Mo Collins - Stop it" to get my joke.)

15+ Year Old Account
    The vast majority of people prefer to be facing room entrances whenever possible. When sleeping, sitting or standing. It is very normal.

Most people just dont notice it.
    Your greed, your foolishness has brought you to this end.

- Prince Malchezaar